Cultivated Reef

B's Gorgonian Playground (We have BABIES !!! pg7)

jbb

On 8/7/2017 at 7:40 PM, jbb_00 said:

Thanks ! 

Tank is drilled peninsula style with a low profile box . (3) One inch drains down to sump, Single one inch return on opposite end of overflow.  The strainer you see is actually a drain for when i do water changes.  I open a ball valve and just let it drain.  ☺

:slap:

Nice tank! Love the openness! Is that your return line running along the top of the tank to the other side? I might steal that idea, for my next build. The space where my tank is does not give me access to the back, where my plumbing is now, so if anything leaks (knock on wood) I pretty much have to drain the entire tank to fix...

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Nice tank! Love the openness! Is that your return line running along the top of the tank to the other side? I might steal that idea, for my next build. The space where my tank is does not give me access to the back, where my plumbing is now, so if anything leaks (knock on wood) I pretty much have to drain the entire tank to fix...

Yes, the return runs across the full length of the tank . 

20171004_142937.thumb.jpg.a222d6062b5530cd273d161f37c7c638.jpg

• Thanks 1

Love the idea of a gorgonian dominant tank! I want to get a few more, I only have a purple one, would love to have a orange one as well. Maybe someday. Awesome tank, great idea for water changes, I did something similar to my new Pico. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update on the leather, it looks great compared to where it was just a few weeks ago.  

20171026_160112.thumb.jpg.246c3662dcf3d0bd3fdc486661143d2f.jpg

Also noticed some baby makin taking place 

20171027_185445.thumb.jpg.f02b9dfba04822bfcfd8032d87e14126.jpg

Added 6 tiny Chromis today, along with a small Yellow Tang. Nice to finally have some movement , all of my current fish like to hide.  Lol 

• Like 6

@Subsea here is my current tank.

Thread hasn't been updated in a while. 

The switch from LED to T5 is happening next week .  

Of the 6 chromis added in October, I'm down to only one of them. Never had any luck with those guys so Im done trying. 

Nothing else has really changed since October other than a massive diatom outbreak , but I think I won that battle. 

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

will be adding a 10g refugium pack from Gulf Coast Ecosystems this week to help bring some life to this tank. Pods and other critters are pretty much non existent , and I lost all of my macro during my bryopsis battle. In my sump I will have a chamber of Chaeto , and then have the nicer stuff in the 10g. 

Hope it works fingerscrossed

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Good luck!  I like t5s even though they lack shimmer and are not as efficient.  My gorgs have done great under them.  That is a great fish pic btw.

I still have the multichip leds from the pics on page one. I have been thinking about hiding them in my T5 fixture to have a bit of shimmer. They are ebay specials, so I don't have high expectations for them , they would be for the shimmer only

• Like 1

I love softie dominated tanks. So soothing!  And a jawfish, what a great choice. I have never had one but they are one of my favorite things to watch at public aquariums. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rene said:

I love softie dominated tanks. So soothing!  And a jawfish, what a great choice. I have never had one but they are one of my favorite things to watch at public aquariums. 

There are 2 of the jawfish in there, they are very fun to watch. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jbb_00 said:

There are 2 of the jawfish in there, they are very fun to watch. 

Do they interact with each other?  The constant rubble-stealing antics are hilarious. 

1 minute ago, Rene said:

Do they interact with each other?  The constant rubble-stealing antics are hilarious. 

They do , and they even have arguments like all happy couples.  :lol:

everything will be fine, then one wrong move and they are chasing each other around the tank, I've even seen one get banished to the opposite side of the tank for a day or two. 

• Haha 3

Looks like the dinos have kicked it into overdive in the last 24 hours. Yesterday morning everyone looked fine other than being in an ugly tank, came home to some dead fish , and a dead conch.

Transferring what is left to a QT setup in hopes of saving what I can.  

Coral seems to still be in good shape 

• Sad 1

I have ordered stuff for a complete restart , but I go out of town tomorrow so the temp holding tank is all I will have for a bit. 

40 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Oh that is awful.  I am sorry for your losses.

Thank you. 

I think I was able to save the coral and a couple of fish . I am currently in Houston so we will see if my efforts worked once I return home. 

• Sad 1