Innovative Marine Aquariums

B's Gorgonian Playground (We have BABIES !!! pg7)

jbb

On 8/31/2017 at 10:05 PM, jbb_00 said:

The mud opened up right away, still waiting on Lawns rocks to open :lol:

He advertised "live rocks" ?

I trained that mud special. ;)

Nice to see the tank filling in!!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Looking good B! You know a nice group of small gobies would look awesome with the gorgs. :D

Right now there are 2 eviota (was 3, can't find the 3rd) green clown goby, and a circus goby. The circus is a bit territorial but mostly stays in the back left corner. 

I want to add more, just need to figure out which ones .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Right now there are 2 eviota (was 3, can't find the 3rd) green clown goby, and a circus goby. The circus is a bit territorial but mostly stays in the back left corner. 

I want to add more, just need to figure out which ones .

What about like 5 masked gobies from KPA?

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, gena said:

I've been looking at those, and a group of green banded gobies as well. Need to look into compatibility issues to see if i can do both. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

I've been looking at those, and a group of green banded gobies as well. Need to look into compatibility issues to see if i can do both. 

Yep, you can have both.  I had both in my tanks before.  They don't mess with each other at all.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gena said:

Get the 5 goby deal on eBay if it's still available!

I wonder why KPA doesn't stock GBGs?????  They are a Caribbean fish after all :unsure:.

I looked at the eBay listing a few days ago and it was sold out.  @teenyreef probably bought them all. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, jbb_00 said:

I looked at the eBay listing a few days ago and it was sold out.  @teenyreef probably bought them all. :lol:

Yeah...I think he got like 10 :o.  Just keep watching, I'm sure there will be more.  Unless Irma screws it all up for a while :o.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
Just now, jbb_00 said:

Well dang. I've always wanted GBG's. It'll happen eventually. jbb, if I see some I'll let ya know, ok?

• Like 1
Just now, gena said:

Unless Irma screws it all up for a while :o.

That would be a bummer . I have often wondered if they can sense things like storms and then go into hiding. I know in one of my older tank when the lighting system would go into storm mode the fish all seemed to take cover under the rocks so I'm hoping that's what goes on

2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well dang. I've always wanted GBG's. It'll happen eventually. jbb, if I see some I'll let ya know, ok?

Awesome,  thanks. I will do the same. 

Part of the problem for me is I travel for work so being home to place the order and then also being home once they arrive is sometimes an issue. I am home this week , but I leave on Sunday for Houston and will be gone for at least a week. It is anyone's guess as to what lies in my future after that. 

All I can say is thank goodness for automatic feeders, large Auto top off containers, and internet capabilities of my controller. Without those things I don't know that I would still be in the hobby.

• Like 3

Think I just figured out my cloudy water issue. 

When I started the tank, I used Fritz RPM salt. At that time the water was crystal clear - invisible even ... think fish floating in the air. 

At the time I had only purchased enough to start the tank with the I will buy more when I need it mindset.  Well, I needed some, and didn't have any. BUT I did have Aquaforest Probiotic salt on hand . 

SOOOOOOOOOOO

I did a large water change (30ish %) about 3 weeks in to try and dilute any nasties that may have been lingering from the setup / transfer process of starting a new tank. At first the tank was very clear, but the next day is was very cloudy. After a couple of days it was still cloudy (as you can see in my pics) . Few days go by .... CLOUDY. I talked to Benny and decided to try his coral snow concoction , no help. 

SOOOOOOOO 

Thinking that something was wrong with the water .... yep ANOTHER large water change ... CLOUDY . 

Off to the interwebs I go. 

Come to find out, Aquaforest does NOT recommend water changes larger than 10 - 15% with the probiotic salt due to potential bacterial blooms. (It might be on the bucket, but I don't read instructions cause guy issues)

I found other users that have had the same problem, some stating that it took up to 3 months for the tank to clear up. So to prevent dealing with this FOREVER , I will not be using this salt in the hopes that I can clear the water up like it should be. 

tl;dr : cloudy water / cloudy bugs in salt 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, gena said:

This I have 4-5 such awesome fish and open swimmers. 

2 hours ago, gena said:

Yep, you can have both.  I had both in my tanks before.  They don't mess with each other at all.

I have both and no problems. The GBG hangs out at the bottom and the masked gobies swim right next to it. 

• Like 2
Thunder Goose
3 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

omgomgomg

Im getting ALL the gobies !!!

Gorgonians and gobies?!??!! Sooooo jelly! [looks around room, any space for another tank?]

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Think I just figured out my cloudy water issue. 

When I started the tank, I used Fritz RPM salt. At that time the water was crystal clear - invisible even ... think fish floating in the air. 

At the time I had only purchased enough to start the tank with the I will buy more when I need it mindset.  Well, I needed some, and didn't have any. BUT I did have Aquaforest Probiotic salt on hand . 

SOOOOOOOOOOO

I did a large water change (30ish %) about 3 weeks in to try and dilute any nasties that may have been lingering from the setup / transfer process of starting a new tank. At first the tank was very clear, but the next day is was very cloudy. After a couple of days it was still cloudy (as you can see in my pics) . Few days go by .... CLOUDY. I talked to Benny and decided to try his coral snow concoction , no help. 

SOOOOOOOO 

Thinking that something was wrong with the water .... yep ANOTHER large water change ... CLOUDY . 

Off to the interwebs I go. 

Come to find out, Aquaforest does NOT recommend water changes larger than 10 - 15% with the probiotic salt due to potential bacterial blooms. (It might be on the bucket, but I don't read instructions cause guy issues)

I found other users that have had the same problem, some stating that it took up to 3 months for the tank to clear up. So to prevent dealing with this FOREVER , I will not be using this salt in the hopes that I can clear the water up like it should be. 

tl;dr : cloudy water / cloudy bugs in salt 

I probably wouldn't have read the bucket either LOL.  Salt in a bucket should not be so high maintenance :lol:.  You scoop you pour you change.  That's it...no rules :).

• Like 5
1 minute ago, gena said:

I probably wouldn't have read the bucket either LOL.  Salt in a bucket should not be so high maintenance :lol:.  You scoop you pour you change.  That's it...no rules :).

FINALLY!!! Someone who understands life :wub:

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, gena said:

Yeah...I think he got like 10 :o.  Just keep watching, I'm sure there will be more.  Unless Irma screws it all up for a while :o.

Just for the record, I only ordered five, the seller gave me an extra five...for free! omgomgomg

I ordered some from him a couple years ago, and I've been subscribed to his Ebay notifications ever since. Unfortunatley, he's only gotten GBG's in stock once or twice since then. So when he got these in stock I jumped on it right away.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

By the way, I love the new tank :D

And I looked at the probiotic salt, but any salt that has to be used within a day or less of mixing is no bueno for me. I like to leave my water in the brute for a week or so while I use it up. But I hadn't thought about bacterial blooms if you change too much, that would be a show stopper for me, since I wouldn't be able to ever do a large emergency water change. I really rely on doing big water changes any time I suspect something isn't quite right.

• Like 2

Try adding a bit of vodka to the tank to ease the bacteria bloom. This usually worked for me when I over dosed MB7 years ago. 

I agree with Lawn, more masked gobies. If you follow Coral Morphologic on IG, they have a insane video of ~ 20-30 hanging out. 

-D

• Like 2
8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Just for the record, I only ordered five, the seller gave me an extra five...for free! omgomgomg

I ordered some from him a couple years ago, and I've been subscribed to his Ebay notifications ever since. Unfortunatley, he's only gotten GBG's in stock once or twice since then. So when he got these in stock I jumped on it right away.

hahaha...I know :).  But you still got 10 omgomgomg

Wonder how many others he gave extras to?  He must have an overabundance of green banded gobies.  What a fun problem to have :).

2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Try adding a bit of vodka to the tank to ease the bacteria bloom. This usually worked for me when I over dosed MB7 years ago. 

I agree with Lawn, more masked gobies. If you follow Coral Morphologic on IG, they have a insane video of ~ 20-30 hanging out. 

-D

Cool.  Following them now!!!!

• Like 2