Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

High kh *redsea salt*

Yaman

Whats up whit this dkh value? 

Started the tank whit this salt. Never checked kh,mag and calcium from start. Added sps frags 4 days ago,  dkh was 7.5 mag 1290 and calcium high 600. Mixed salt last night and tested kh now befor wc. 11,7 at 1026.  Cant use this crap salt, why do they make salt whit this high dkh?

20170806_104507.jpg

• 1 month later...

It shouldn't be high.  I use red sea and my kh is 8.  The red sea coral pro is another story but it doesn't look like you are using that.  My 55 gallon bucket says it should be 7.8 to 8.2.  How old is that salt?

If mixing 5 gallons into say 35 gallons where the 35 gallons may have a depleted number, beside the swings in numbers would the higher alk not dilute to potentially raise the depleted tank number to closer to target? If you dose I think a salt that mixes at the target number make sense but if you water change only a high mixing salt could make sense? Maybe? Like blind dosing via water changes haha

19 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

If mixing 5 gallons into say 35 gallons where the 35 gallons may have a depleted number, beside the swings in numbers would the higher alk not dilute to potentially raise the depleted tank number to closer to target? If you dose I think a salt that mixes at the target number make sense but if you water change only a high mixing salt could make sense? Maybe? Like blind dosing via water changes haha

If your tank is consuming alk daily, by the time your waterchange happens, the alk has dropped significantly. 

Doing a waterchange with high alk will then cause another fluctuation.

It's not realistic to rely on waterchanges to replenish parameters when the tank consumes them daily.

Waterchanges For replenishment work for softy tanks, frequent weekly waterchanges, and new tanks with minimal corals in it.

Stability is key. Don't target certain parameter numbers, maintain what your salt mixes at. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issues with Red Sea Salt ( not the Pro) I do minimum of biweekly 5 gal water changes ( 29 gal tank)

Have softs, and a couple of LSP

My Duncan bailed a head this week ( see other post) and I started asking questions and tested Parameters ( which other than Salinity I have not been doing lately)

my salinity was low 1.20 and dkh was high 11

I had issues before with very high dKh when I used the RS Coral Pro by mistake. Finally had to resort to muratic acid to get it down. ( that was a year ago)

Should I just switch to something like IO and do some BIG water changes? then continue with IO

Another question. I wanted to confirm what the Hanna is getting. I have pool test kits from work but they register total alkalinity. Not sure how to convert that reading