Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Craigslist Reef Tank

sandiegonative

May I ask how you feed them? I was trying out a tube feeding to cut back on wasted food in my tank. I noticed my female mocha would pick on the male. I could not find out why. Then I started feeding without the tube and it seems like my female has calmed down a lot. Maybe it's something to do with how much food and how you feed. I'm guessing that she wants all the food for herself and is picking on the male to get him out. I could be nuts and it could just be a coincidence. Food for thought. Pun intended. 

sandiegonative
6 hours ago, Dominator said:

May I ask how you feed them? I was trying out a tube feeding to cut back on wasted food in my tank. I noticed my female mocha would pick on the male. I could not find out why. Then I started feeding without the tube and it seems like my female has calmed down a lot. Maybe it's something to do with how much food and how you feed. I'm guessing that she wants all the food for herself and is picking on the male to get him out. I could be nuts and it could just be a coincidence. Food for thought. Pun intended. 

This is my first tank with an overflow so there was a learning curve on feeding. Just dropping pellets in wasn't working cuz they flow right out. Now I have a little container, I put in New Spectrum pellets or a chunk of frozen food, use a turkey baster with some tank water to mix it up. Then I spot feed with the turkey baster.

I guess I could just unplug the pump everytime, but I'm lazy. The current does move some away before they can eat it, that's why I have a CUC.

As far as the big female getting most of the food, I think that's just the natural order of things. I'm sure the male gets enough. 

Hmmmm. Maybe try and broadcast feed for a few days and see if her temper changes. Mine changed in about 2 days of broadcast feeding. Maybe worth a shot to calm her down. 

Also. I know this is going to sound silly, but print out a picture of a bigger clownfish and tape it to the glass. Move it around a bit. Sometimes fish settle down when there is a new Sheriff in town. I have seen this done with tangs. I have not done this, but I've heard it works. 

• Thanks 1
sandiegonative

Update 8/23/2017

Officially moved everything over and shut down the small tank. Everything seems to be doing well and the fish are settling in. 

Yesterday I added a melanurus wrasse and a large cleaner Shrimp who have both acclimated very quickly. No new corals at this time. 

The RBTA is on a small rock that I moved into the corner of the tank in an attempt to give the clowns a portion of the tank, instead of the whole thing. They still have not hosted with the anemone and it's not fully expanding so I may move it back to front and center on the ground. 

The big gold tipped is not fully expanded in the pictures yet cuz it was early in the day, but it is a big, bushy, beautiful piece with 4 separate heads. 

Thanks!

IMG_0655.JPG

sandiegonative
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great work @sandiegonative, I dig the rock bridge. How is everything settling into the new tank now that it's been a few days? Hopefully the gold tipped and RBTA are open and happy again.

RBTA and Gold Tip are definitely opening up nicely! Fish are bonding well and parameters have been steady. 

Looking to start stocking some soft and LPS corals and grow this thing out. Is there anything I can do to speed up the growing process?

I have a dual T5HO with ATI Coral plus and Blue Plus, running around 10 hours a day. When I feed frozen food every other day I will try to spot feed the RBTA and hammers. 

I have a piece of GSP that's been sitting on a rock and hasn't grown a bit in a few months which is strange from what I've read. 

Also, Coral species that would thrive under these lights would be appreciated! I've just started to master fish species and my coral game is pretty weak. 

Lastly, I had a AC50 laying around with an InTank media basket so I got a clip on lamp with a simple plant bulb and got a ball of chaeto with pods so hopefully that will be beneficial to the system. 

Nothing else to speed up the process.  You can try different corals you like and see what thrives in your tank.  Zoa's may grow well in your tank but not mine, that what's interesting about the hobby.  If you're talking about running daylights 10 hours a day you may have algae problems.  If so just cut back on the amount of daylight.  Sounds like you will have a good time :)  And I like the aqua scape

sandiegonative

So I think my clowns knocked off one of the smaller heads on my gold tipped hammer. Can I reattach it to the base or just a different piece of rock? Or is it just dead?

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

• Like 1
sandiegonative

Update:

somehow the anemone now has the piece of the hammer coral in its mouth and is eating it. Not sure if this is good or bad, letting nature run its course I guess. 

IMG_0708.JPG

• Wow 1
  • 1 month later...
sandiegonative

10/20/2017 Update

Found a Coralife 4 Bulb T5 setup at a going out business sale for $70 so I grabbed it. Running 3 ATI Blue Plus and 1 ATI Coral Plus. All levels are within acceptable range. All fish and coral were thriving with the 2 Bulb T5, but nothing was growing. Hoping the added wattage will increase the growth of everything.

Hope you enjoy!

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg