Top Shelf Aquatics

Nuvo 20 aquascape opinions - two options

lapoolboy

Just set up and cycled my new Nuvo 20 with dry rock and Dr. Tim's.  I started out really liking the rockwork but the more I have looked at it the last 3 weeks, the more I am second-guessing it.  What do you guys think?  I suck at scaping and spent 3 days off and on coming to this final result.  I realize it will transform the look completely when covered with corals, but I want to know what you all think of it as it is now.  Thanks!

20170723_180500.jpg

That looks nice, I will have a 20 soon as well and I am not sure how I will be my scape as well. If you want to change it try removing the top piece and the piece to the left of it and put both rocks on the right side and have two separate islands. 

I also like the idea of 2 islands. Much more eye pleasing to look at. Also the rock in the middle that making an arch, make sure you glue them together so it doesnt fall off.

I got some more dry rock and spent a couple hours last night setting it up and mortaring it together.  I like it much better than what I currently have in the tank.  It is a little more compact also, so the rock won't be so close to the glass and I'll have more open sandbed.  What do you guys think compared to the original?  I think it looks more natural - the original looks too much like individual rocks piled together to me.

Also, what is the best way to switch out the rock?  There is no livestock in the tank.  I can drain and save the water easy enough, but my concern is the sand.  The rock is sitting on the glass bottom and when I pull the rock out, the sand will spread out over the bottom.  Do I need to remove sand or should I be able to wiggle the new rock down through it so that it too rests directly on the glass?

I'm also going to experiment with coating the cemented areas with Gorilla Glue gel and throwing crushed stone powder onto it to camoflauge it.  I don't like the gray color of the cement.  I know it will eventually get covered...but I like instant gratification...a bad trait in reefing, I know!

Screenshot_20170807-075338.png

The rules I try to follow have nothing to do with looks. Make sure there is room between the rock and glass for cleaning the glass and placement must allow for good flow all around the rock. The actual scape gets changed for coral placement any way so I worry about the scape once I start getting coral. If you get some of the weed styles GSP, Xenia, kenya tree you need some single pieces of rock like stand alone islands to give them their own space so they do not over run the tank. I am lazy so I would not pull out the sand just gently nuzzle the rock into the sand. Brush most of it out of the way place the rock and move the sand back all around it.