SaltCritters.com

Leak in AIO Aquarium - How to fix?

dasstheboss

dasstheboss

Hello,

During a recent move, my aquarium sprung a leak at the bottom of one of the back chambers. The tank has been drained and after pinpointing the source, water is coming at 1 drop/sec at the back-left corner. 

I tried silicone from the outside but it's still leaking through it. The only other option I see is to strip off all the glass in the back chambers to reseal the back corner.

Has anyone done this? It's a JBJ 32 gallon rimless aquarium.

Is the leak at a seam? If not, I would be worried that even if you patch the leak with silicone, pressure will continue to crack the tank. 

dasstheboss

Yes, the leak is coming from a seam. Is there any product that would let me seal a silicone break from the outside? It's in the back chamber so aesthetics is not important.

Christopher Marks

Is the leak coming from one of the seams at the bottom of the tank where the plastic trim is hiding it? The only thing I can think of might be to try epoxy? If the leak is hidden beneath the plastic trim though, you might never be able to stop it without further disassembly and damage. Since the tank is drained, perhaps you could try silicone on the inside one last time? You'll want to clean and degrease it really well first.

• Like 1
dasstheboss

Hello Chris,

There is no trim on this type of aquarium, it is completely rimless with only pain on the back to black out. Getting to the inside of the leak is hard because it has several baffles in the way and I don't want to remove them unless it's necessary.

I was hoping there would be a way to fix the leak from the outside to avoid taking it apart. But I guess fixing it from the inside is the safest bet.

Christopher Marks

Ah that makes more sense! If you're up for trying the 2 part epoxy on the outside where the leak is, that really might do the trick. Since the back of the tank is painted it's kind of a mystery in there huh? Tricky...

dasstheboss

I just siliconed the seams over again. The leak got progressively smaller and it seems to have gone for now. I'll wait for it to cure and try filling to see what happens.

If not, I think the two-part silicone should do the trick, we'll see.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. The tank seems to have been sealed since I haven't seen water loss and salinity has remained steady.

All I did was silicone over where the drip was happening and let it dry.