inTank Media Baskets

Show off your Freshwater!

JoeMan02

My 40 gallon with discus, angels, plecos, ropefish, and misc.20170607_002203.thumb.jpg.15df86f72b1d4725bb96d26976bfb55c.jpg

6 hours ago, NanoReefNoobie86 said:

12Gallon planted

DSC_4897_web.jpg

75 Gallon Mbuna tank.

DSC_0970.jpg

Where does one find a12 gallon long?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Kitkat67 said:

My 40 gallon with discus, angels, plecos, ropefish, and misc.20170607_002203.thumb.jpg.15df86f72b1d4725bb96d26976bfb55c.jpg

Where does one find a12 gallon long?

I believe Marine Depot and BRS sell them.

• Thanks 1
NanoReefNoobie86
1 hour ago, Thunder Goose said:

I look at all these wonderful planted tanks and I think one thing.

I need to up my game.

I'm talking about you 

@NanoReefNoobie86 and @Kitkat67

Thanks Thunder Goose! If you ever have any questions about my tank feel free to ask me. Always happy to help!

I'm gonna preface this post by saying that I've always wanted to do a super fancy planted fw but it seems like way too much work and equipment. Some super nice tanks on this thread too. 

I keep wanting to post a photo of the inside of the tank of my toilet, I mean, it's rectangular and I could get a decent top down shot. Hell there's a bunch of fancy tech in there and the 10k flushes gives it a nice blue look. 

• Like 1

36724071585_a0fdb21f92_c.jpg

Equipment:

• Aquamaxx Low-Iron 2.5 gallon
  • Glass lily pipes
  • Zoo Med 10 Nano Canister filter (ball valve to reduce flow, activated carbon, ceramic rings)
  • Slim LED light (I spray painted it white)
  • Adding a Cobalt Aquatics micro UV sterilizer tomorrow (getting green bacteria blooms)

Livestock:

• Betta (lost a ton of color on its bottom fins, not sure why)
  • Regular Anubis with marbled leaves
  • Petite anubis
  • Nerite snail and some hitch hiker snails

Future plans:

• Thinking of adding some cool rock in the middle, not sure where to get it or what to get
  • Might add some more snails
  • Might add a willow branch to help combat the algae bloom (tank is next to a ton of natural light)

A couple more pictures:

35914861543_055451dee0_c.jpg

36554445152_eb1096202c_c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
3 hours ago, kinetic said:

36724071585_a0fdb21f92_c.jpg

Equipment:

• Aquamaxx Low-Iron 2.5 gallon
  • Glass lily pipes
  • Zoo Med 10 Nano Canister filter (ball valve to reduce flow, activated carbon, ceramic rings)
  • Slim LED light (I spray painted it white)
  • Adding a Cobalt Aquatics micro UV sterilizer tomorrow (getting green bacteria blooms)

Livestock:

• Betta (lost a ton of color on its bottom fins, not sure why)
  • Regular Anubis with marbled leaves
  • Petite anubis
  • Nerite snail and some hitch hiker snails

Future plans:

• Thinking of adding some cool rock in the middle, not sure where to get it or what to get
  • Might add some more snails
  • Might add a willow branch to help combat the algae bloom (tank is next to a ton of natural light)

A couple more pictures:

35914861543_055451dee0_c.jpg

36554445152_eb1096202c_c.jpg

Nice tank but he could use a heater, that might be the cause of his stress

10 hours ago, Kitkat67 said:

Nice tank but he could use a heater, that might be the cause of his stress

It's hard to heat a 2.5 gallon tank. I want an inline heater, but the only one I can find is a Hydor 200 watt. My 90 gallon tank didn't even have 200 watts of heat.

I also live in California. It doesn't get very cold here (like 68 degrees lowest in the house in the winter). Think I still need one? Maybe a heat pad underneath the tank. I don't know. I never thought I would need a heater for a betta tank? Ideally I'd get something like a 25 or 50watt inline heater, but I haven't been able to find one.

3 hours ago, kinetic said:

It's hard to heat a 2.5 gallon tank. I want an inline heater, but the only one I can find is a Hydor 200 watt. My 90 gallon tank didn't even have 200 watts of heat.

I also live in California. It doesn't get very cold here (like 68 degrees lowest in the house in the winter). Think I still need one? Maybe a heat pad underneath the tank. I don't know. I never thought I would need a heater for a betta tank? Ideally I'd get something like a 25 or 50watt inline heater, but I haven't been able to find one.

This heater is small and slim.  I don't know if it would fit in your canister but it's pretty inobstrusive.  I use it in my 5.5, though I've now got it tucked in the AquaClear.

https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/heaters/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim

(Though for what it's worth, none of my bettas have heaters lol)

4 hours ago, kinetic said:

Bettas actually like pretty warm temps, right around 80 degrees. I would guess you need one for winter at least. I believe the inline heaters are higher wattage due to high flow and small amount of water passing around them so basically they need to heat up the water quickly that they are in contact with to be effective. They work a bit differently than typical heaters. I am fairly certain people use these in small tanks but I understand why you are hesitant.

I love how clean and simple your tank is.

5 hours ago, Kitkat67 said:

I like to keep my various at 76-82, but a heater to to keep the temperature stable at a single reading.

I don't disagree, having a solid temp is ideal.

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

This heater is small and slim.  I don't know if it would fit in your canister but it's pretty inobstrusive.  I use it in my 5.5, though I've now got it tucked in the AquaClear.

https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/heaters/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim

(Though for what it's worth, none of my bettas have heaters lol)

The Zoo Med 10 nano canister is pretty sealed up. Not sure if it'll work inside it without a lot of modification (and potential sealed leaking). Might just keep the tank without a heater for now? I've had betta fish (a couple for 3+ years at a time) without any problems with heat. But I could have just gotten lucky with California weather.

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Bettas actually like pretty warm temps, right around 80 degrees. I would guess you need one for winter at least. I believe the inline heaters are higher wattage due to high flow and small amount of water passing around them so basically they need to heat up the water quickly that they are in contact with to be effective. They work a bit differently than typical heaters. I am fairly certain people use these in small tanks but I understand why you are hesitant.

I love how clean and simple your tank is.

I'll probably get a small heater for the winter months!

And thank you!

• Like 1

I think I have a weird bacterial algae bloom that's sucking up all the nutrients which keeps algae off of the plants. Unfortunately my tank has gotten pretty cloudy lately, so I'm going to be running an inline UV Sterilizer as soon as I get a 3/8" to 5/8" barbed reducer for it ;)

I'm also thinking of getting a willow branch and sticking it in the tank to suck out all the nutrients. I think my anubis should survive either way.

27 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Clown, why not use a media that absorbs nutrients?

I use purigen.

I was using phosguard but it made no difference.

I have low light plants, I use the siesta light cycle, 1 betta, large waterchanges, excel.

Still get this annoying algae on my leaves. 

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

I use purigen.

I was using phosguard but it made no difference.

I have low light plants, I use the siesta light cycle, 1 betta, large waterchanges, excel.

Still get this annoying algae on my leaves. 

What's your source water? I started using tap water at one point, and now I'm still fighting to get phosphates down far enough to make cyano disappear. Back to remineralized RO/DI water (with Mosura GH+ or Seachem Equilibrium). 

Purigen does clean the tank for me, but it doesn't stop cyano and film algae from growing - my phosphates are too high regardless. I added a lot of phosguard and that seems to have halted growth. The shrimp in my tank are slowly cleaning up the melted plants from when I tried bacteria to offset phosphate (they worked too well and I lost all nitrates, so I lost most of the plants).

And another thing that helped: floating plants. Unlimited CO2, and dwarf water lettuce or frogbit will send out runners that you can pluck away to keep the surface mostly clear for your betta.

• Thanks 1

Ya I use tap water. I didn't want to get into buying water for my 5g then having to add a bunch of stuff to it.

I love frogbit but I read you need very low surface movement.

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Ya I use tap water. I didn't want to get into buying water for my 5g then having to add a bunch of stuff to it.

I love frogbit but I read you need very low surface movement.

Bettas in general need pretty low surface movement, don't they? I like dwarf water lettuce, because the hairs on the top leaves stop water from soaking it and they'll keep floating right side up regardless of flow. I have an AC70 on a 20 gallon tank..

• Haha 1

Yes betta's prefer low flow but I found the algae issue was worse with low flow. Since switching tanks the algae is better.

The flow isn't too bad, betta seems very happy.

Instead of black beard I have brown. My plants are growing but there's Brown on the leaves. Almost looks like a dusting of dirt but no dirt in the tank.lol.

I will check out dwarf lettuce.