Innovative Marine Aquariums

Show off your Freshwater!

JoeMan02

On 04/08/2017 at 8:44 PM, Friendly said:

thanks Draco. I really want a a 10 gal long (if such a thing exists) for 3 dwarf puffers. 

also, I get a kick out of this video...with their eyes darting around, solving the puzzle of how to eat the snail, add's a lot to the scene:

Love it. 

6 hours ago, Rory282 said:

My 20g fw tank

IMG_1537.PNG

Very pretty. I like the simple yet elegant aquascape

5 hours ago, JoeR said:

Soon to be re-scaped 8 gallon:

IMG_1670.JPG

Nice

Everyone has some really nice FW tanks!

I have 3 tanks.

2 sw  1 FW

I'd love more?

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Tmr8188 said:

18.1 gallon aquamaxx rimless med tech

Lit by Kessil A160 tuna sun

Filtered by eheim 2213 canister

I love the Tuna Sun as a freshwater light. I've got the A360W and have used it on 3 systems so far. Just awesome!

On 8/4/2017 at 4:36 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

@Lula_Mae, it's red ludwigia :)

As for tanks, I have 1 salt, and 5 fresh (soon to be 6)

Thanks!  It's so pretty! :wub:

On 8/4/2017 at 4:43 PM, Tamberav said:

@Lula_Mae 

If I remember correctly, it is around 7 gallons with 7 females. There was some mild chasing the first day and no aggression since. They all just swim around pretty chill and eat next to each other. I think the fact the tank is natural with a lot of plant/hiding areas keeps them from being crabby. I also waited until Petco got a new shipment and tried to pick out small/young ones around the same size/age and added them all at one time. I figured this way no one has any territory claims yet.

The photos are after they had been housed together for awhile, never saw any nipped fins or anything. I know stories are mixed about keeping females together but it worked out for me.

That's awesome!  I had heard adding at the same time is best for success, and I'm betting having so many helps keep any aggression down too.  So cool!  Do you have an alpha girl?

On 8/4/2017 at 4:51 PM, TJ_Burton said:

I've kept a few species, mostly thumbnails. Currently I have a pair of Oophaga pumilio 'punta laurel' and am really enjoying them. Produced 5 froglets so far, and i really haven't had them very long.

What darts are you looking at?

Thumbnails!  No obligate egg feeders since I'm a beginner lol but probably vents or imitators.  I like a bunch of different morphs so what I get may depend on what's available when I'm ready for them.  First, though, will be to master the art of raising fruit flies. :lol:  Bet your froggies are gorgeous, they have polka dots!

On 8/4/2017 at 4:55 PM, Thunder Goose said:

Love the shrimp tank. I don't have a lot of luck with shrimp. Still trying to figure out why.

Me either, and yet I keep trying... :unsure:

On 8/4/2017 at 10:03 PM, Friendly said:

@Draco in the reading I've done, it's recommended that you have 1 then 3 or more and that a 10 gal would be sufficient, but, in aquariums, bigger is always better...for the fish at least. 

I want a long tank so I could setup plants and decorations in such a way that would allow them to claim a spot for themselves while allowing for them to explore and satisfy their curiosity without generating conflict between them. 

and yea, I've read the only fish you can keep with puffer's is Otto's.

I'd probably look at something like the Oceanbox 12g long, but get a bigger AIO to go along a back corner, or placed in the back centre, so I could have excellent filtration for their bioload. :ninja:

I've wanted to try puffers for years, they seem like they'd be cool!  Look into the Mr. Aqua 12 long tank, that might give you the aesthetic you're looking for--or maybe a standard 15 long if you can find it! :)

• Like 2

I have Cherry Shrimp in my blackwater tank. (easy shrimp) as long as I keep enough leaf litter in there they have food and do not need anything from me to grow in population. I started with 6 and have about 100 now after 6 months. I pulled out 50 or so 3 months ago.

@Lula_Mae I'm thinking the new IM Peninsuala 14 might be good for puffers, especially with a 5 gallon bucket sump. or grab the IM 20, since it's about the same price as the Peninsula 15, and let you have more of them...be cool to have enough that they would shoal.  :ninja:

• Like 1
Thunder Goose

@Lula_Mae I'm glad to hear someone else struggles with the "oh, so easy, they breed like crazy" cherry shrimp. I'm trying to removed the lead plant weights to see if that helps. I even tested my water for copper, just in case some was leaching in somewhere along the way [spoiler: nope]. Wanting shrimp is one reason I got into salt water. I wanted to do invertebrates!

9 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

@Lula_Mae I'm glad to hear someone else struggles with the "oh, so easy, they breed like crazy" cherry shrimp. I'm trying to removed the lead plant weights to see if that helps. I even tested my water for copper, just in case some was leaching in somewhere along the way [spoiler: nope]. Wanting shrimp is one reason I got into salt water. I wanted to do invertebrates!

I haven't ever had cherries (shockingly hard to find locally lol) but have tried FW ghost shrimp, mandarin neocaridina shrimp and a blue variety of neocaridina (I think it's the correct name for them--same species as cherries but diff colors), SW feeder shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and sexy shrimp.  My current Pederson's anemone shrimp has lived longer than any I've tried lol.  I also want to try brackish Opae ula shrimp in the near future!

• Like 1
Thunder Goose
11 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I haven't ever had cherries (shockingly hard to find locally lol) but have tried FW ghost shrimp, mandarin neocaridina shrimp and a blue variety of neocaridina (I think it's the correct name for them--same species as cherries but diff colors), SW feeder shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and sexy shrimp.  My current Pederson's anemone shrimp has lived longer than any I've tried lol.  I also want to try brackish Opae ula shrimp in the near future!

I'm actually doing kind of OK with saltwater. I've had some losses but I currently have 3 sexy shrimp, a striped cleaner and a pistol in Tranquility Base and a peppermint and a pistol (I think, heard only) in Hitchhiker's Cove.

It's not enough. They're so fun to watch.

• Like 1
On 8/6/2017 at 6:14 AM, TJ_Burton said:

I love the Tuna Sun as a freshwater light. I've got the A360W and have used it on 3 systems so far. Just awesome!

The shimmer is amazing and the growth is on point.

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thumbnails!  No obligate egg feeders since I'm a beginner lol but probably vents or imitators.  I like a bunch of different morphs so what I get may depend on what's available when I'm ready for them.  First, though, will be to master the art of raising fruit flies. :lol:  Bet your froggies are gorgeous, they have polka dots!

They are pretty great :) polka dots and all hahaha. My first thumbnails were R. Sirensis 'green and I absolutely adored them. Had a male and female, and they produced a bunch of offspring for me. Was a fantastic beginning in keeping dart frogs! Since then I've kept Imis, Mantella pulchra, a few species of auratus, vanzolini, and now pumilio. Love darts! I've always said it's like terrestrial reefing. Have you read the blog I wrote that is linked in my Sig? It's a pretty cool comparison of reef keeping and dart frog keeping.

If you have any questions or anything along the way, let me know!

Here are my female and male pumilio. The boy has nearly no dots, but does have a funny yellow dot on his head hahaha.

IMG_20170323_195409_120.jpg

IMG_20170323_195653_397.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
On 8/5/2017 at 3:51 PM, JoeR said:

Soon to be re-scaped 8 gallon:

IMG_1670.JPG

Joe...that centre piece. is it stone or wood?  if it's stone, what's it called?

HELP!

36297424001_4ba8f42121.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

36388992716_d9a7f4d4b8.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

Every day I walk by this tank and say "OMG, I've got to do something with this thing! Personally, I'd like to tear it down, but technically it's hubby's tank. I need to take over but It's just so over whelming. I've tried researching, and went on PLANTEDTANK, but there are just so many ways to go-much like reefing!

Anyway. Just thought I'd share. Everyones tanks look so nice. Maybe some day...

On August 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM, JoeMan02 said:

My 60g cichlid aquarium and my favorite fish, tmy Z-Rock hap.

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

is that just plain sand for your substrate? Where do your nutrients come from?

On August 4, 2017 at 10:03 AM, lkoechle said:

Wow thats super cool.  Do you have a build thread? How hard are they to care for?  I've admired his tank on IG for a bit now... :P (aka enough to make me want to research for possibly keeping one, I have always likes watching the pirahanas at the zoo's exhibit)

Dooooo It!

1 hour ago, TJ_Burton said:

They are pretty great :) polka dots and all hahaha. My first thumbnails were R. Sirensis 'green and I absolutely adored them. Had a male and female, and they produced a bunch of offspring for me. Was a fantastic beginning in keeping dart frogs! Since then I've kept Imis, Mantella pulchra, a few species of auratus, vanzolini, and now pumilio. Love darts! I've always said it's like terrestrial reefing. Have you read the blog I wrote that is linked in my Sig? It's a pretty cool comparison of reef keeping and dart frog keeping.

If you have any questions or anything along the way, let me know!

Here are my female and male pumilio. The boy has nearly no dots, but does have a funny yellow dot on his head hahaha.

IMG_20170323_195409_120.jpg

IMG_20170323_195653_397.jpg

Oh your frogs are so cute!  And that yellow spot! :wub: I have read the blog though it's been a couple months.  I'd love to try some true nominal fantastica someday (maybe) but would like to make sure I can keep frogs alive before I invest that much in a frog lol.  But I figure one dart frog viv will satisfy the itch until I'm somewhere big enough to have more than one, if I choose.

3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

HELP!

Every day I walk by this tank and say "OMG, I've got to do something with this thing! Personally, I'd like to tear it down, but technically it's hubby's tank. I need to take over but It's just so over whelming. I've tried researching, and went on PLANTEDTANK, but there are just so many ways to go-much like reefing!

Dooooo It!

I do things the hard way and throw some anubias, java fern and amazon sword in. :lol:  Might help reduce the nuisance algae!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh your frogs are so cute!  And that yellow spot! :wub: I have read the blog though it's been a couple months.  I'd love to try some true nominal fantastica someday (maybe) but would like to make sure I can keep frogs alive before I invest that much in a frog lol.  But I figure one dart frog viv will satisfy the itch until I'm somewhere big enough to have more than one, if I choose.

I do things the hard way and throw some anubias, java fern and amazon sword in. :lol:  Might help reduce the nuisance algae!

It has really crappy lighting. It had some plants in it, but they all died. Needs a total redo. The glass is super scratched too. Seriously if it didn't have live fish in it, I'd toss it out, or at least empty it and save it for  a future sump.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Joe...that centre piece. is it stone or wood?  if it's stone, what's it called?

dragon stone i beleive

18 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

HELP!

Dooooo It!

Fake plants, so no need for nutrients. cichlids would tear up live ones