Coral Vue Hydros

Show off your Freshwater!

JoeMan02

NanoReefNoobie86
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Yes betta's prefer low flow but I found the algae issue was worse with low flow. Since switching tanks the algae is better.

The flow isn't too bad, betta seems very happy.

Instead of black beard I have brown. My plants are growing but there's Brown on the leaves. Almost looks like a dusting of dirt but no dirt in the tank.lol.

I will check out dwarf lettuce. 

I used to have the algae on my leaves and all I did with clip them off and let new ones grow. I added chemipure green, 2 ottos, and some assassin snails and it hasn't come back. I don't know if it was a combination of doing all these that worked or just adding the Chemipure but within 2 months it was all gone.

Here's my 55g low-tech planted setup. I took it down to make room for my reef, but still miss it...sometimes. This pic was the tank at its best before being overrun with BBA.

37105883275_5ec363d3e1_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
6 minutes ago, Friendly said:

nice tanks Noi. 

what's the substrate for the planted tank? 

For the discus I had pool filter sand, the other one is just a cheapo at the petco store... 

-this I got ADA substrate.

IMG_1353.JPG

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

What are those neat looking blue striped fish?  And are the others chili rasboras?

Those are green  neon tetra. They are smaller that the regular neon tetra. Yes they are chili rasboras.

• Like 1

Hello,
First post in this communauty, funny one, it's gonna be a freshwater related. (I'm going back a bit in salt, 12 years since without aquarium)

Here my 65L, started couple months ago :
phFjy2jl.jpg

Video : 

And a Fluval Spec  5 started a month ago i think : (gosh i hope the left part will grow like i vision)
PvHFLGOl.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
On 08/09/2017 at 0:56 PM, lake985 said:

Here's my 55g low-tech planted setup. I took it down to make room for my reef, but still miss it...sometimes. This pic was the tank at its best before being overrun with BBA.

BBA- the worst.

I got rid of it when I did my transfer but I'm seeing it return.

On 08/09/2017 at 9:38 AM, Friendly said:

is not algae growth not a sign of just too much nutrients in the water?

removing those should fix that problem, would it not?

In FW not necessarily. It can also be due to 

Lighting, c02, and nutrient balance.

I dose excel, have low light, and nitrates 10.

I have a lot of Detritus on the leaves no matter the flow.

20170910_215350.jpg

8 hours ago, Friendly said:

I wonder how some dwarf puffers would do in something like this:

NA_03.png

I'm only thinking of the pain of cleaning snail shells from between the leaves of the carpeting plants...

Also, the CO2 setup :blush:

On September 8, 2017 at 12:56 PM, lake985 said:

Nice tank, I'd miss it too. What the heck kind of nucience algae is  BBA? Just getting ready to start my first freshwater

So this is finally happening today. Poor fish have been swimming around in a big plastic container for about a month now-they are starting to lose color.  Basically using @JoeMan02's you tube vlog for building a AIO concept. Instead of using the lid from a plastic container, I found a piece of black plastic sign board (corrugated plastic) at work that wasn't being used. I think (hope) it will be perfect. Painted the back black to hide the pump.

36471442393_3e196deb43_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

36471442133_f57251cf66_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

36447939454_da4b32538e_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

More to come later

More to come later

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Nice tank, I'd miss it too. What the heck kind of nucience algae is  BBA? Just getting ready to start my first freshwater

Black beard algae

15 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

So this is finally happening today. Poor fish have been swimming around in a big plastic container for about a month now-they are starting to lose color.  Basically using @JoeMan02's you tube vlog for building a AIO concept. Instead of using the lid from a plastic container, I found a piece of black plastic sign board (corrugated plastic) at work that wasn't being used. I think (hope) it will be perfect. Painted the back black to hide the pump.

36471442393_3e196deb43_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

36471442133_f57251cf66_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

36447939454_da4b32538e_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

More to come later

More to come later

Just caught up with the thread. Wish I had read it earlier. You mentioned the glass being scratched. You could have used the back of the tank as the front. The back is usually scratch free, and hiding the old front behind a false wall...... Well, you get the idea.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Black beard algae

Just caught up with the thread. Wish I had read it earlier. You mentioned the glass being scratched. You could have used the back of the tank as the front. The back is usually scratch free, and hiding the old front behind a false wall...... Well, you get the idea.

There really is no back. It is viewable from all 4 sides. Well, 3 now since I painted the one end black. It is pretty equally scratched everywhere! We are equal opportunity tank abusers! ?

• Haha 1

Progress

36478032113_3aebd15f16_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

I realized after I took the picture that I forgot to put the hole in the wall for the return pump :wacko:. Also, I'm not going to win any awards for expert silicone application :rolleyes:

letting it sit over night then water test the back chamber tomorrow. I just realized that I should have made this a separate build thread.

letting it sit over night then water test the back chamber tomorrow. I just realized that I should have made this a separate build thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 9/14/2017 at 12:07 AM, Friendly said:

I wonder how some dwarf puffers would do in something like this:

NA_03.png

Probably not enough cover. I think mine feel insecure in their new tank, they glide up and down the glass when I walk in the room sometimes. I even found one dried up on the table recently. I think they'll get used to the new tank, but even though there's several tall plants and stuff for them to hide in I think they don't quite feel as safe as they did in their original tank sadly..

11 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Black beard algae. It's quite a pain in the butt.