Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ack's 25 gallon Lagoon

ackattackkk

ackattackkk

-Quick Introduction-

For those of you who I havent had the chance to talk to yet im Andy (Ack). Ive been on this site a little over 3 years and have always bean obsessed with Saltwater aquariums but being in Ohio has kinda made it hard. About 2 years ago I finally took the dive and started my first tank. After about a year I had to move and took it down and havent had one since. Saw the Lagoon and fell in love. My birthday is August 21st I will be 28 so I decided to treat myself and get the tank early and cycled for my bday.

AI Prime HD light

20 pounds Fiji Pink Sand

Getting 25 pounds of rock not sure how much I will use yet (getting wet tomorrow) Friday the 4th.

Stock pump for now

Planning on getting a pair of clowns not sure what else yet

Coral will be mostly Zoa's and LPS haven't tried SPS and honestly not too big of a fan.

In the mean time Ill post some LFS shots so you can see what im working with up here in OHIO. Anyone else from here?

IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, ackattackkk said:

-Quick Introduction-

For those of you who I havent had the chance to talk to yet im Andy (Ack). Ive been on this site a little over 3 years and have always bean obsessed with Saltwater aquariums but being in Ohio has kinda made it hard. About 2 years ago I finally took the dive and started my first tank. After about a year I had to move and took it down and havent had one since. Saw the Lagoon and fell in love. My birthday is August 21st I will be 28 so I decided to treat myself and get the tank early and cycled for my bday.

AI Prime HD light

20 pounds Fiji Pink Sand

Getting 25 pounds of rock not sure how much I will use yet (getting wet tomorrow) Friday the 4th.

Stock pump for now

Planning on getting a pair of clowns not sure what else yet

Coral will be mostly Zoa's and LPS haven't tried SPS and honestly not too big of a fan.

In the mean time Ill post some LFS shots so you can see what im working with up here in OHIO. Anyone else from here?

IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG

Why cant you reef in Ohio?  It has to be better than WV as far as stores go. 

• Like 1
ackattackkk
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Why cant you reef in Ohio?  It has to be better than WV as far as stores go. 

haha that could be a possibility! Until I moved the closest store that had SW was 40 minutes away. Now its 10 :). Within 2 hours theres about 3 stores that have any SW. Ocean RIft Aquatic's is the one closest to me and deals with primarily SW. It was always just a pain to go and learn when they are just trying to sell you stuff and dont really care if you fail or not as long as they are paid.

Is there a way to upload video's? Says I can only upload 6mb. I have some videos of some pretty dope tanks at the LFS

• Like 1
burtbollinger
4 minutes ago, ackattackkk said:

haha that could be a possibility! Until I moved the closest store that had SW was 40 minutes away. Now its 10 :). Within 2 hours theres about 3 stores that have any SW. Ocean RIft Aquatic's is the one closest to me and deals with primarily SW. It was always just a pain to go and learn when they are just trying to sell you stuff and dont really care if you fail or not as long as they are paid.

Is there a way to upload video's? Says I can only upload 6mb. I have some videos of some pretty dope tanks at the LFS

i host on vimeo then paste over links which auto embedd

ackattackkk
Just now, burtbollinger said:

i host on vimeo then paste over links

thank you! why did it merge my post's? I replied to her then made another one about the videos :(

7 minutes ago, ackattackkk said:

Closest sw store to me is across the river in OH and it's only so, so...... he told me it wasn't possible to run reefs without a skimmer. :rolleyes:  The next closest one is two hours away so I feel your pain.  

Like the setup so far. :)  

I'm in central Arkansas, and we have 1 store about 40 minutes away.  Well, 2 if you count Petco.  The quality of the two is the same.  The nearest one of any quality is 3 hours away. So....I just do most of my business online.

Happy (early) Birthday!

• Like 1
ackattackkk
43 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I'm in central Arkansas, and we have 1 store about 40 minutes away.  Well, 2 if you count Petco.  The quality of the two is the same.  The nearest one of any quality is 3 hours away. So....I just do most of my business online.

Happy (early) Birthday!

Thank you!

Sounds like you have it a little worse than me lol. Online is cool but I hate paying $30-50 for over night shipping all the time. Would rather spend $5-10 more at the store haha. My LFS is 90% SW. They have basic fresh water mostly glow fish and what not.

ackattackkk
47 minutes ago, Friendly said:

what did you retask as a stand, Ack?

It's actually just an old kitchen bar set. It is real Cherry wood so I didnt want to get rid of it. There are 2 chairs that go with it that are currently in the garage. The stand is perfect, it has about 1 inch of space all the way around the tank with the sleeves down. Figured with the drawer and 2 shelves it would be perfect. Ive been planning this tank for months lol.

• Like 1
ackattackkk

Planning on getting it Wet today. Reason I say planning is I get off work at 6 and the LFS closes at 7 so hopefully i can make it there on time to pick up my rocks :blink:

47 minutes ago, ackattackkk said:

Got the tank wet tonight. It's actually clearing up pretty quick. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the scape how it is or not. 

IMG_5148.JPG

Looking good! Hard to tell, but the left rock seems really close to the glass, which I feel doesnt leave any room for growth there. Otherwise, I like the overall scape idea! 

• Like 1
ackattackkk
8 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Looking good! Hard to tell, but the left rock seems really close to the glass, which I feel doesnt leave any room for growth there. Otherwise, I like the overall scape idea! 

You are exactly right. After it started clearing up lat night I told my girlfriend the same thing! "we need to move the rocks back"

8 hours ago, Friendly said:

the bridge is cool. did you glue it down for safety?  

thank you! As of right now it is not glued down. I did a couple stupid tests to make sure it would stay and I feel comfortable that its not going anywhere. Pray for me lol.

Woke up this morning and it's completely clear. Dropping a shrimp in after work and moving my rocks back away from the glass ???

IMG_5150.JPG

• Like 2

Can you maybe angle the outer rocks toward the front a bit, which might bring them in away from the glass? You could probably still keep the bridge the same way at that point. While the tank is uninhabited, you could always pull the rocks out and try to zip tie them together in a configuration you like, drilling little holes if necessary. 

• Like 1
ackattackkk
3 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Can you maybe angle the outer rocks toward the front a bit, which might bring them in away from the glass? You could probably still keep the bridge the same way at that point. While the tank is uninhabited, you could always pull the rocks out and try to zip tie them together in a configuration you like, drilling little holes if necessary. 

I can angle it or move them back a few inches. If I remember correctly I have about 4 inches or so to just move the rocks directly back so they arent so close to the front glass. Ill check when I get home. Rockscaping is always such a hard decision.

nolanrob123

Looks very good so far. For sure find a way to secure them. It's always the worst when you have a prized coral ruined after a rock falls. I wish I had moved mine a little closer together too. When I'm cleaning the glass my hand is too big to fit some areas and almost rubs the coral. 

• Like 1
ackattackkk
4 hours ago, nolanrob123 said:

Looks very good so far. For sure find a way to secure them. It's always the worst when you have a prized coral ruined after a rock falls. I wish I had moved mine a little closer together too. When I'm cleaning the glass my hand is too big to fit some areas and almost rubs the coral. 

I will probably get something to secure them. I was just so excited to get the tank wet I just put a scape together and left it. Wasnt even sure if thats the scape I wanted to keep.

ackattackkk

-Just a little update-

My living room and kitchen smell like a dead fish. Girlfriend is not happy lol. I guess its time to take the shrimp out of the tank :P

• Haha 2