Top Shelf Aquatics

Mantis Pico Rebuild (Evo 5) Opinions needed!

lkoechle

Hydor makes some little pico pumps that might work, not sure on the noise of them though.  Are you planning to upgrade the light on the contest tank?  If so, would that light work for this tank?  I bet you'd be fine with the stock light, though, with what you're keeping (if you stay with softies).  Would macros be an option for this tank?

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hydor makes some little pico pumps that might work, not sure on the noise of them though.  Are you planning to upgrade the light on the contest tank?  If so, would that light work for this tank?  I bet you'd be fine with the stock light, though, with what you're keeping (if you stay with softies).  Would macros be an option for this tank?

I ended up getting a koralia 240 which is hydor.  I don't know if that's what you're talking about.  I swapped the aqueon 606 return for the original 80gph pump and with the koralia I have perfect flow and zero noise :D  The 606 was a horribly loud beast.  I hate that thing.

30 minutes ago, Friendly said:

what of mantis do you have, Iko?  :|  

n. wennerae

36 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I ended up getting a koralia 240 which is hydor.  I don't know if that's what you're talking about.  I swapped the aqueon 606 return for the original 80gph pump and with the koralia I have perfect flow and zero noise :D  The 606 was a horribly loud beast.  I hate that thing.

n. wennerae

No, I was thinking of their even smaller pumps (they don't look like the koralia pumps) but I'm glad you got something that works quietly!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Friendly said:

also, how big and old is Yoshi? 

would one of these guys be okay in a 2 gallon tank? 

Absolutely not, I wouldn't go smaller than 5 gallon.  I've been trying to figure out how to move him to the 14.  But I don't want to lose any livestock in there and my SPS tank isn't the right aquascape/habitat for whats living in the 14.  Size wise, the 5 gallon is fine (he'd be waaaaay to cramped in a 2) but they are a very active mantis.  He's all over the place.  So if I can, I'd like to move him to a larger tank so he can explore more freely.  But with my blenny and clingfish in the 14, he can't go there.  And my 25 has SPS I don't want him smashing, plus the aquascape is wrong.   He's about  4 inches long (you can go to my tank thread in the sig for him).  So, no, 2g is way too small.

He's from the wild so I have no idea how old he is and I got him as part of "the package" from TBS so I didn't pay for him.  But I think they're usually around $25 from dealers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

In my 2.2 cube I have a Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 gph.  Is that what you were thinking of @Lula_Mae?  

It is adjustable from 0-180 and is very quiet.  

One of the little red and black ones?  Yeah I think that's the one I was thinking of.  I have one (not sure of the size) but have never used it...yet... ;)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

One of the little red and black ones?  Yeah I think that's the one I was thinking of.  I have one (not sure of the size) but have never used it...yet... ;)

Yep.   It's a nice little powerhead.  

• Like 2

One I think they are ugly lol two I wouldnt have had enough flow to switch out to the quieter return pump.

But its good to have on the thread for suggestions for other people! I had a hard time finding small pumps using the search function.  I was very surprised. lol

• Like 1