SaltCritters.com

Help stocking Fluval Evo 13.5

Ajh715

Hello everybody, 

i just finiched cycling a fluval evo 13.5. I just put in my first fish which is a royal gramma, with the intentions of putting in a black ice clown and an azure damsel last. However, I have another tank which has a clown I love, and was wondering which would be the best choice for stocking the fluval (it will be a reef tank)

option 1:

1 royal gramma

1 black ice clown 

1 azure damsel

option 2:

1 royal gramma

1 black ice clown

1 Picasso clown

option 3:

1 black ice clown

1 Picasso clown

i would like to have a good bit of movement in the tank, as I went with a 2 island aquascape and there is a lot of open room in the center. Option 1 or option 2 are the stocking options I would most like to do, while option 3 is my least favorite but I will if it's truly the best for the tank. I hate algae in tanks so I want to keep this water as crystal clear as possible! Any help or other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

makingfilms

two clowns will eventually be pushing the nutrient levels in that tank. I have two clowns in mine who are about a year old and they are mean and dirty. they would kill another fish in the tank not enough room. Option 1 may work out better... but for three fish I would think they would need to be smaller type gobies and maybe one of the above.

• Like 1

Royal grammas can get to a decent size and can be territorial, that tank isn't big enough imo unless it's the only fish but even then that's pushing it...

I have two standard Oscellaris and a purple fire fish in my EVO 12 and haven't had any problems keeping the tank clean with routine maintenance (weekly water change and scrapping glass/aio chambers). No aggression issues that I have witnessed either. The being said, I agree with the other posters above that a gramma or damsel could get too large, or become aggressive.  If you are going to do a third fish, probably best to go small like a small goby, small blenny, or fire fish. 

• Like 1

Any firefish would do great in hat size tank. A lot of the small gobies and blennies are really cool and you can get lots of them in a small tank. Have you considered a pistol shrimp/goby pair? a Yasha and candy cane pistol would be incredibly entertaining. My favorite nano blenny is the Caribbean sailfin blenny. Tons of personality!