inTank Media Baskets

New here, questions about setting up my Spec 5

twowilldo

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @twowilldo!

Good thing you discovered the heater issue early on! 25W might just be too little for your climate, is the new one you ordered 50w instead? I wonder if the altitude effects the efficiency of heaters to any big extent? I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it before, but it crossed my mind :lol: 

Thanks for the welcome!

No I don't think altitude affects heaters that I've ever experienced... have had others of smaller wattage in past tanks, Ebo and Fluval... never a problem but I needed a heater that would fit in the return chamber and let me add that Mini ATO in the future. Plus we are only at 6,000' here at the house and climate-wise it doesn't get as cold here as most places in the midwest in winter. I started reading reviews on the Hydor and not good... exact same problems, maybe they don't have very good quality control or something.

Not a big deal at this point as you say discovered it early while summertime room temps are keeping the water up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, twowilldo said:

Thanks for the welcome!

No I don't think altitude affects heaters that I've ever experienced... have had others of smaller wattage in past tanks, Ebo and Fluval... never a problem but I needed a heater that would fit in the return chamber and let me add that Mini ATO in the future. Plus we are only at 6,000' here at the house and climate-wise it doesn't get as cold here as most places in the midwest in winter. I started reading reviews on the Hydor and not good... exact same problems, maybe they don't have very good quality control or something.

Not a big deal at this point as you say discovered it early while summertime room temps are keeping the water up.

Yeah, after my experience I think the quality control just isn't there. :unsure:

On 8/11/2017 at 11:15 PM, Lula_Mae said:

If you need a smaller heater, Aqua Forest Aquariums offers a very slender one in 25w and 50w versions for a very reasonable price.  I have been very happy with mine.  It has an external controller to set the temperature with.

This thing is indeed quite small... here it is next to a Neo-Therm (the Aqua Forest is 25w, and the Neo-Therm is 50w, but I believe the 25w Neo-Therm is the same size as the 50w).

Though the Cobalt fits, the AF fits considerably easier, and will make it more comfortable to add the ATO sensor.

IMG_5025.thumb.JPG.e1d983a7f9e5f1537870d2765da2501d.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, mcaswell said:

This thing is indeed quite small... here it is next to a Neo-Therm (the Aqua Forest is 25w, and the Neo-Therm is 50w, but I believe the 25w Neo-Therm is the same size as the 50w).

Though the Cobalt fits, the AF fits considerably easier, and will make it more comfortable to add the ATO sensor.

IMG_5025.thumb.JPG.e1d983a7f9e5f1537870d2765da2501d.JPG

Awesome, thanks for that!  It's great to have something people are familiar with to compare it to so they can see for themselves how tiny it is!