Innovative Marine Aquariums

schgr.cube's Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon (Photo dump 10/31/2017)

schgr.cube

35486152174_c47a75b0f0_k.jpg.469707bfcc926bed2a0fe7b19a121cac-2.thumb.jpg.3e603492790a0186c9c80109c6b18ee2.jpg

Comparing the new dimensions to the old one, although the stand still needs to be completed.

Setup:

• Tank: Innovative Marine Fusion 25 Lagoon
  • Lighting: NanoBox Reef Hybrid with ATI Coral+ and ATI Blue+
  • Heater: 75w Cobalt Neo Therm x2
  • Flow: Stock pump, Hydor Koralia Nano
  • Filtration: inTank fliter floss holder x2, inTank Fuge basket
  • Live rock: 12.5lbs of mixed fiji and real reef live rock
  • Live sand: 30lbs of aragonite sand

Filtration and maintenance:

• Filter floss in both holders, changed twice a week. Fuge basket has chaeto, with a LED grow light

Fish:

Spoiler
  • Snowflake ocellaris clown (Embry)
  • Misbar ocellaris clown (Penelope) Gave away, wasn't getting along with Embry
  • Tail spot blenny (Blenny "The Jet" Rodriguez)
  • Green banded goby (not named yet)
  • Chalk bass (planned)
  • Hi-fin red banded goby (planned)

Invertebrates:

Spoiler
  • Blue legged hermits
  • Dwarf ceriths
  • Florida ceriths
  • Caribbean ceriths
  • Nassarius
  • Small nerites
  • Zig zag perriwinkles
  • Dwarf planaxis
  • Bumblebee shrimp
  • Small brittle star (6"?)
  • Blood red fire shrimp
  • Porcelain crab
  • Emerald mithrax crab
  • Candy cane pistol shrimp (planned)
  • Crinoid squat lobster (planned)

Backstory:
I don't think I've had a tank fully grow out, but I guess I can just consider that my trademark at this point! You can find my current Innovative 10 gallon here, but I have been feeling a bit cramped lately, and decided to upgrade. I have to say, I am very happy with this decision, as I LOVE the dimensions on the lagoon. I will be transferring everything over from the 10 gallon, and doing a little bit of coral rearrangement, but I really want to make this tank what the other have not been; completely grown out!

Either way, this won't have too much of a backstory, besides the fact that I sold a shotgun to pay for the new tank. I am sure I will do some upgrades here and there, but the plan is just to move the inhabitants in and keep rolling with stocking the tank.

36322411175_18329c9399_k.jpg

The thicker glass and deeper dimensions really sold this for me.

Index:
1. Starting the upgrade

2. First FTS

3. New Fish (Tail Spot Blenny, and Green Banded Goby)

4. Some new Zoas and Palys

5. New light; a custom NanoBox Reef hybrid

6. IM Nuvo APS stand for free with review

• Like 3

Starting the upgrade:

Sometime last year I developed a nasty skin infection, and become almost entirely immobile. While I was sick, I wasn't able to do much of anything, let alone work on my tank. Once I was finally better, I realized I had neglected my tank to the point of near collapse, and decided to really put some effort in. Over the past year, I have spent a lot of time on the 10 gallon and brought it into an almost respectable little setup, but decided it just felt too cramped. I toyed between a few options, but ultimately chose to pull the trigger on the Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon.

36186325821_6acdfae9da_k.jpg

Marla and Oliver investigating the new digs.

While I was figuring out my budget for the new setup, I started work on the stand. The idea was to copy what I had done on the last tank, but with some birch plywood I had laying around. I filled all the holes and chips, but still haven't settled on a final covering for it. I am heavily leaning toward an ADA style laminate finish, but my wife really likes the idea of a painted look. Decisions decisions...

35482408833_5f5ee08aa7_k.jpg

I love the look of natural wood, but plywood doesn't really sell me, and the filled holes kill the look.

That is all for now, but I will be filling the tank and migrating the inhabitants as soon as I figure out the stand. Stay tuned for more!

• Like 10
2 hours ago, samnaz said:

Following :)

Are you doing this in addition to that other custom build you were working on or are you doing this instead?

:) It is a little bit of both! I had a few snags setting things up with the other build, so I decided to go with an easy upgrade for now. But I will continue working on that build, albeit a bit more slowly than I was recently planning on.

Glad to hear your health is back on track.

Nothing worse than when our health goes downhill.

The new tank looks great so far. Look g forward to seeing your set up when it's transferred.

The stand looks great. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Starting the upgrade:

Sometime last year I developed a nasty skin infection, and become almost entirely immobile. While I was sick, I wasn't able to do much of anything, let alone work on my tank. Once I was finally better, I realized I had neglected my tank to the point of near collapse, and decided to really put some effort in. Over the past year, I have spent a lot of time on the 10 gallon and brought it into an almost respectable little setup, but decided it just felt too cramped. I toyed between a few options, but ultimately chose to pull the trigger on the Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon.

36186325821_6acdfae9da_k.jpg

Marla and Oliver investigating the new digs.

While I was figuring out my budget for the new setup, I started work on the stand. The idea was to copy what I had done on the last tank, but with some birch plywood I had laying around. I filled all the holes and chips, but still haven't settled on a final covering for it. I am heavily leaning toward an ADA style laminate finish, but my wife really likes the idea of a painted look. Decisions decisions...

35482408833_5f5ee08aa7_k.jpg

I love the look of natural wood, but plywood doesn't really sell me, and the filled holes kill the look.

That is all for now, but I will be filling the tank and migrating the inhabitants as soon as I figure out the stand. Stay tuned for more!

I didn't even notice the black cat until you noted names in the caption!  Blended in perfectly with the shadows lol.  Beautiful kitties!

• Like 3

Following! Glad you're back in good health.

I'm going to be moving in ~8 months and want a new tank at the new casa. I'm really starting to love the look of these lagoons.. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Glad to hear your health is back on track.

Nothing worse than when our health goes downhill.

The new tank looks great so far. Look g forward to seeing your set up when it's transferred.

The stand looks great. 

Thank you, I am glad too! It kind of came out of nowhere too, so it really was difficult to adjust to.

And thanks for the kind words, I'll hopefully have some updated shots before Friday! We have guests staying this weekend, and I would love to have the move complete.

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I didn't even notice the black cat until you noted names in the caption!  Blended in perfectly with the shadows lol.  Beautiful kitties!

:lol: he is sneaky! We actually have two black cats, and the one not pictured here has his own Instagram account! Sorry to self promote, but he is too cute to not share!

https://www.instagram.com/crosseyedfinn/

1 hour ago, jstj0sh said:

Following! Glad you're back in good health.

I'm going to be moving in ~8 months and want a new tank at the new casa. I'm really starting to love the look of these lagoons.. 

Thanks, I appreciate it! I'll have to update you on how I like it after it is establish, but seeing it person made me really fall in love with it. I think the dimensions are absolutely perfect.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Thank you, I am glad too! It kind of came out of nowhere too, so it really was difficult to adjust to.

And thanks for the kind words, I'll hopefully have some updated shots before Friday! We have guests staying this weekend, and I would love to have the move complete.

:lol: he is sneaky! We actually have two black cats, and the one not pictured here has his own Instagram account! Sorry to self promote, but he is too cute to not share!

https://www.instagram.com/crosseyedfinn/

Thanks, I appreciate it! I'll have to update you on how I like it after it is establish, but seeing it person made me really fall in love with it. I think the dimensions are absolutely perfect.

Oh my gosh, a cross-eyed cat!  He is too cute!  He has a new follower now lol.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SantaMonicaHelp said:

Beautiful tank and your cat is adorable!!

Is he/she helping you with the aquarium? :D

-Paola

Thank you! I'll have to get pictures of the rest. And of course, they are helping by sitting in the empty aquarium while I finish the stand. <_<

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh my gosh, a cross-eyed cat!  He is too cute!  He has a new follower now lol.

He was definitely the runt of the litter, and no one seemed to want him, but he is just the sweetest little guy ever! Thanks for the follow, I'm glad he gets love from more than just us!

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll

Nice tank!  Looks like the IM25 is the number one selling AIO since reentering the hobby.  It's the best looking imo, that's why I got one.  Good luck with your tank!

10 hours ago, TILTON said:

Nice tank!  Looks like the IM25 is the number one selling AIO since reentering the hobby.  It's the best looking imo, that's why I got one.  Good luck with your tank!

Thank you, it really is one of the best looking tanks that is both easily available and reasonably priced. I think it will be a very popular tank. good luck with yours as well!

3 hours ago, 4x5 said:

Looking good! omgomgomg

:D

T-minus two days until filling...

PS: What is the general consensus on the AI Hydra TwentySix HD? I am debating upgrading the Kessil to something else, and I don't know if I can swing the cost of a NanoBox Setup the way I would want it.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
3 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Thank you, it really is one of the best looking tanks that is both easily available and reasonably priced. I think it will be a very popular tank. good luck with yours as well!

:D

T-minus two days until filling...

PS: What is the general consensus on the AI Hydra TwentySix HD? I am debating upgrading the Kessil to something else, and I don't know if I can swing the cost of a NanoBox Setup the way I would want it.

Not sure.  I had debated between a radion 30 or nanobox Duo and chose the nanobox Duo. So far I am loving the nanobox.

20 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Looking forward to seeing this tank filled!  Your cats are too cute! :wub:

Thank you! Here are two more, showing off our boys (one of which is the cross-eyed one with the Instagram I linked earlier), and our new white girl. We also have a gray girl, but I sadly don't have a good picture of her.

Oliver & Finn:

36220067231_7033d2fa3b_k.jpg

Marla:

36356762045_4d055a169a_k.jpg

• Like 4
22 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Thank you! I'll have to get pictures of the rest. And of course, they are helping by sitting in the empty aquarium while I finish the stand. <_<

He was definitely the runt of the litter, and no one seemed to want him, but he is just the sweetest little guy ever! Thanks for the follow, I'm glad he gets love from more than just us!

Violet (my hedgehog) would probably huff her disapproval, but I think he's adorable.  Are Oliver and Finn siblings?

43 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Violet (my hedgehog) would probably huff her disapproval, but I think he's adorable.  Are Oliver and Finn siblings?

I love hedgehogs, but have never had one! They are not. Oliver was found at about 4 weeks old next to a dumpster at a restaurant, so my wife and I nursed him to health and tried to find him a home (lease didn't allow more cats than we had). No one wanted a black cat, so we kept him, and he has been such a sweetheart. Finn was similar in that no one wanted him, but he was at a shelter and was the only cat without a name (ID # was 666 too), so we had to get him. He is basically a lap dog, and follows us everywhere blrrrpping at us. 

• Like 1

Love the cats.  

How about just adding another kessil.  

On my 20 long I had two 160's and an A80

I love the controllability of LED but hate the shadows.  

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

I love hedgehogs, but have never had one! They are not. Oliver was found at about 4 weeks old next to a dumpster at a restaurant, so my wife and I nursed him to health and tried to find him a home (lease didn't allow more cats than we had). No one wanted a black cat, so we kept him, and he has been such a sweetheart. Finn was similar in that no one wanted him, but he was at a shelter and was the only cat without a name (ID # was 666 too), so we had to get him. He is basically a lap dog, and follows us everywhere blrrrpping at us. 

A blrrrpping cat! :lol: Hedgies are awesome but definitely not pets for everyone.  I know someone planning to get one for their pre-teen daughter and well...I keep trying to subtly discourage them.  I share lots of messy hedgie poopy stories lol.  I got mine from a family who'd gotten her for their pre-teen daughter (see a theme here?) and found it too much to keep up with but they had her in a tiny guinea pig cage with a wire mesh wheel that was impossible to clean.  Poor Violet!  Nowadays she mostly hides in her tunnel unless she hears food clinking in the dish or the lights have gone out.  I think she's still mad about the move three weeks ago. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, DAP said:

Love the cats.  

How about just adding another kessil.  

On my 20 long I had two 160's and an A80

I love the controllability of LED but hate the shadows.  

I have thought about that, but I honestly am not sure how I feel about the color. I feel like there is only a small range in which I'm super happy with how it actually looks, and that isn't the color that seems to have the best growth. I agree with you on LEDs, I want to just do an ATI T5 fixture and then do a NanoBox retro. $$$$

9 hours ago, samnaz said:

I have a cat named Oliver too :) 

Nice, great name! We call ours Boogie most of the time for some reason.

8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

A blrrrpping cat! :lol: Hedgies are awesome but definitely not pets for everyone.  I know someone planning to get one for their pre-teen daughter and well...I keep trying to subtly discourage them.  I share lots of messy hedgie poopy stories lol.  I got mine from a family who'd gotten her for their pre-teen daughter (see a theme here?) and found it too much to keep up with but they had her in a tiny guinea pig cage with a wire mesh wheel that was impossible to clean.  Poor Violet!  Nowadays she mostly hides in her tunnel unless she hears food clinking in the dish or the lights have gone out.  I think she's still mad about the move three weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Hahah yeah, I definitely have seen that theme before. I used to work at a pet store back in the day, and trying to convince people to stop buying their kids animals without preparation drove me crazy. I'm sure she will adapt to the move, it sounds like she is well taken care of!

• schgr.cube changed the title to schgr.cube's Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon (Photo dump 10/31/2017)