Top Shelf Aquatics

cassianoyoung

Hey guys, I am looking for some input here on the protein skimmer for this setup. I think I got something that is way to powerful for the system and for my potentially low bio load. I couldnt help but get the Vertex Omega 130 (BRS claims that it can handle tanks from 30g to 100G -- 30 on a heavy bio load). Got it for $200 shipped and really felt in love with this machine. It fits just perfectly in my sump's skimmer section but I am afraid I will not be able to pull anything out of it. Do you guys have any insight or recommend that I send it back and get something smaller? @Scorched @Clown79 @holy carp @Ranjib @SantaMonicaHelp @SeaFurn @Weetabix7 @thedon986 Sorry for including you all in here but I am having a real hard time making this decision. I used an ASM G2 in my previous setup and absolutely loved, so if I send it back, I will likely get the ASM Mini G which also has a SICCE pump like the Vertex, however there is not even a comparison on the build quality. Thank you so much, cheers!

Indiana Reefin

Wonderful build!! 

As far as the protein skimmer.. I don't think I would send it back. I don't think it is worth the haste to send back. It will not produce skimmate all day long because you will not have enough organics. If you are planning on a heavy load you will be fine.

If you do send it back, I would not recommend the Mini G. I haven't heard good things. I have heard that they are very loud. I agre that the original ASM skimmers were awesome. I had a GSX-1 that was awesome! 

But I would have gone with a skimmer with a little less HP lol. I do not like to go with monster skimmers on Nanos. I have a tunze 9001 on my 18 gallon and I love it. Produces nasty skimmate all day long. 

If you are okay with cleaning your skimmer neck a little more often and your skimmer producing skimmate more inconsistently I would just stick with the 130 

• Like 1
cassianoyoung
33 minutes ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Wonderful build!! 

As far as the protein skimmer.. I don't think I would send it back. I don't think it is worth the haste to send back. It will not produce skimmate all day long because you will not have enough organics. If you are planning on a heavy load you will be fine.

If you do send it back, I would not recommend the Mini G. I haven't heard good things. I have heard that they are very loud. I agre that the original ASM skimmers were awesome. I had a GSX-1 that was awesome! 

But I would have gone with a skimmer with a little less HP lol. I do not like to go with monster skimmers on Nanos. I have a tunze 9001 on my 18 gallon and I love it. Produces nasty skimmate all day long. 

If you are okay with cleaning your skimmer neck a little more often and your skimmer producing skimmate more inconsistently I would just stick with the 130 

@Indiana Reefin Thanks! This is turning out quite nice indeed. This time around I am paying the most attention as possible to all of the little details. On the skimmer, BRS has such an excellent customer service, so it would be $7.99 shipping + $20 restocking fee (since I opened the package to dry fit it into my sump), so I am strongly considering. I just could not pass on it for $200. Like you said, the only maintenance on my previous ASM which was bough used, was to clean the calcium buildup on the venturi once every 4 or so months, other than that it pulled dark green stuff very consistently.

Additionally, hearing how sensitive the Vertex skimmers are, I think I would just be asking for trouble in my little 22G system. The machine though, its AMAZING. Super solid.

I was not able to find any reviews at all on the new ASM Mini G (which has the SICCE pump - SK200). It is the only ASM which has these nice pumps, do you happen to see any reviews on the new model? I was hoping that the new version of the Mini G would be of better quality based on the pump.

Thanks for the reply. 

Cheers,

Just now, Scorched said:

Just saw the water test video.  Looks like the tank and plumbing is working out great!!

Man! You got ahead of me LOL. Just uploaded that one a bit ago. This thing turned out PERFECT @Scorched I could not have planned better. As you likely saw on the video, I will not even need the elbow setup to control the water level. I will post about it in a bit with a few more details.

Cheers,

• Like 1
cassianoyoung

Time to get wet around here. I must say, I did planned and drew a whole lot before I started to glue these pipes and fittings up. But, in all honesty I did not expect everything to work out so perfectly!

If you want to skip ahead and check out the video on my water test use the link below:

I could not be happier with the choice of my return pump (thanks @Scorched for posting your equipment in your thread). This thing is a beast (about 1250 GPH), way too much for a regular nano setup. However in my setup the goal is to not have any equipment hanging inside the tank so I wanted enough flow (and some) to be able to provide the circulation that the corals will need. Additionally, I wanted to add a manifold with a couple of heads, and finally I have about 3 feet of head space, and seven 90 degrees turns from pump to both return arms. So even though there is a lot of power in the pump, such gets dispersed quite well.

The ability to control the pump is simply amazing (yeah in the past we could control the flow with a ball valve -- which I also added to the setup just in case a DC pump did not work for me). For my particular setup each 10% of power reduced from the pump, reduces the waterline a little less than 1/4", it is nice to be able to control that with a push of a button. 

I created the sump design so that the only section that would have a water level fluctuation is the return section, such will also allow me to have the return pump automatically stop in the extremely rare case that all of my overflows become restricted. I can set that up by have the fill level in the return section only contain enough water to fill up the area of the display that is above the water line after the overflow has completely stoped or drastically slowed down, once that is filled the pump would just push air up and the system would never overflow.

Manifold: I am stoked with the final result of the manifold. I added two heads (with TOO expensive -- but very well built Cepex true union valves) which I will decide later on what I am going to plug them into. and a bonus: Water change valve, which will allow me to do my weekly 5G changes without ever having to accidentally drink water from my tank again :) 

Another major update from the initial equipment ideas:  Lights. I decide to bite the bullet and go with a pair of Kessil A160WE. It was $150 more than the JBJ 140 watts setup that I bought (and arrived with the control LCD already broken -- sent back) and aside from being a proven brand with many folks having success with, it will make the system look much nicer. One thing that I will not bite the bullet on is buying two Kessil mounts of $65 a piece. So I am brainstorming some ideas on how I am going to hang/mount these lights into my system. It will for sure be a DIY setup, but I want  to look slick. If anyone has suggestions on that please feel free to send them my way.

Cheers,

• Like 2
8 hours ago, cassianoyoung said:

Hey guys, I am looking for some input here on the protein skimmer for this setup. I think I got something that is way to powerful for the system and for my potentially low bio load. I couldnt help but get the Vertex Omega 130 (BRS claims that it can handle tanks from 30g to 100G -- 30 on a heavy bio load). Got it for $200 shipped and really felt in love with this machine. It fits just perfectly in my sump's skimmer section but I am afraid I will not be able to pull anything out of it. Do you guys have any insight or recommend that I send it back and get something smaller? @Scorched @Clown79 @holy carp @Ranjib @SantaMonicaHelp @SeaFurn @Weetabix7 @thedon986 Sorry for including you all in here but I am having a real hard time making this decision. I used an ASM G2 in my previous setup and absolutely loved, so if I send it back, I will likely get the ASM Mini G which also has a SICCE pump like the Vertex, however there is not even a comparison on the build quality. Thank you so much, cheers!

I'll be honest, I don't use protein skimmers, so I'm afraid I can't be much help here. 

Sorry!!

I tend towards setups that are Macroalgae heavy and Macros are so good at sucking nutrients out of water that I have no need for a skimmer. 

I actually have to add nutrients for them!!

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna be no help either. Have a small AIO and no skimmer. 

I do love your build though!

Was gonna do a @Scorched inspired 12L - it had actually just been delivered and then I got hooked on the 100 days contest. 

Someday I'll join the Scorched inspired club though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To add to your skimmer comment I have no input either sorry.  I have never used a skimmer on either of my 12 longs.  My new sump could probably fit one but based on my success from before I didn't think it was necessary for this one either.

• Thanks 1

This build is looking great.  The plumbing turned out really clean and nice.

For the skimmer, I think you'll be fine.  I run a comparably small Tunze 9004 and it really takes a lot of stinky junk out of the water.  BRS rates it for 20 gallons at heavy bio load, and I have only15 gallons total, but based on its performance, I don't doubt that the tank could handle an even larger skimmer.  You may have to tune the larger skimmer to run wet in the beginning until you have a larger bioload, but I think you'll be happy to have the extra capacity as the tank fills.  Running it wetter will just prevent the stuff from getting caught in the neck but never reaching a high enough concentration to make the foam spill over into the cup.  

In my opinion, the cycle of feeding creates and even larger variability of the concentration of organic waste in a small aquarium than in a large aquarium unless you are super-diligent about measuring out your food.  So the skimmer may work for a bit and then be idle again once the water is clean.  You could potentially run it <24hrs/day and get full benefit.  I wouldn't downsize it if it fits well in the sump.

• Like 2
cassianoyoung
1 hour ago, holy carp said:

This build is looking great.  The plumbing turned out really clean and nice.

For the skimmer, I think you'll be fine.  I run a comparably small Tunze 9004 and it really takes a lot of stinky junk out of the water.  BRS rates it for 20 gallons at heavy bio load, and I have only15 gallons total, but based on its performance, I don't doubt that the tank could handle an even larger skimmer.  You may have to tune the larger skimmer to run wet in the beginning until you have a larger bioload, but I think you'll be happy to have the extra capacity as the tank fills.  Running it wetter will just prevent the stuff from getting caught in the neck but never reaching a high enough concentration to make the foam spill over into the cup.  

In my opinion, the cycle of feeding creates and even larger variability of the concentration of organic waste in a small aquarium than in a large aquarium unless you are super-diligent about measuring out your food.  So the skimmer may work for a bit and then be idle again once the water is clean.  You could potentially run it <24hrs/day and get full benefit.  I wouldn't downsize it if it fits well in the sump.

Thank you so much for the response @holy carp Great information. It is a tight fit, but works well. The only "issue" is that the pump intake sits about one inch from the wall and the manufacturer recommends 2" of space. Other than that it is looking good. My only other concern is that I keep hearing that the Omega 130 is quite sensitive at regular tank sizes so I am wondering if I will be able to get it to work at all. Eventually I am sure I will have as heavy of a bio load as possible but even then it is a lot of skimmer for the small setup. Do you happen to have any experience with the Omega 130? I have someone close by selling a brand new in the box Tunze 9001 for $40 bucks (he change his mind about starting a saltwater tank) so I am quite tempted. Also just got the return labels from BRS. :unsure: Hard to decide here! Thanks again for the input!!

Cheers,

Nice build! If you have a way to get a smaller skimmer cheap it may be worth it, but as long as the Vertex fits it should work fine, it just won't skim continuously. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I don't have first-hand experience with any of the Vertex skimmers.  I imagine you'll be able to get it tuned in, but some skimmers can definitely be finicky, and I have no idea what issues would result from having less than the recommended space around the pump.

Honestly, for $40 I'd grab that Tunze.  You'd have no problem reselling it at the same price if you decide not to use it later, since it's one of a limited number of skimmers that fit well into many of the AIO tanks people have.  And it might be more efficient in the interim until you size up the bioload.

• Like 2
Indiana Reefin
11 hours ago, cassianoyoung said:

Thank you so much for the response @holy carp Great information. It is a tight fit, but works well. The only "issue" is that the pump intake sits about one inch from the wall and the manufacturer recommends 2" of space. Other than that it is looking good. My only other concern is that I keep hearing that the Omega 130 is quite sensitive at regular tank sizes so I am wondering if I will be able to get it to work at all. Eventually I am sure I will have as heavy of a bio load as possible but even then it is a lot of skimmer for the small setup. Do you happen to have any experience with the Omega 130? I have someone close by selling a brand new in the box Tunze 9001 for $40 bucks (he change his mind about starting a saltwater tank) so I am quite tempted. Also just got the return labels from BRS. :unsure: Hard to decide here! Thanks again for the input!!

Cheers,

Jump all

over the 9001. I have had great results form my 9001. 

2 days on my 18 gallon medium bioload

http://s725.photobucket.com/user/gkimble/media/IMG_0277_zpsjcqz5p3v.jpg.html

cassianoyoung
Just now, Indiana Reefin said:

Jump all

over the 9001. I have had great results form my 9001. 

2 days on my 18 gallon medium bioload 

%5BURL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/gkimble/media/IMG_0277_zpsjcqz5p3v.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww255/gkimble/IMG_0277_zpsjcqz5p3v.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

Thanks @Indiana Reefin Bought it today! The lady had it in the UPS box that came in from Amazon. When I opened it up her invoice was in there will all of the bubble wrap and all. Ended up paying $30 bucks. She was desperate to sell it as she changed her mind about saltwater LOL. Brand new in the sealed box!!! Couldn't believe it. I am however having a hard time letting go of the Vertex 130. If anything it is a work of art. SUPER well built and for less than @200 shipped. But I will likely send it back now that I have the Tunze. Thanks for the input. (could not get to your link - was curious to see your pictures!)

Cheers,

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin
2 minutes ago, cassianoyoung said:

Thanks @Indiana Reefin Bought it today! The lady had it in the UPS box that came in from Amazon. When I opened it up her invoice was in there will all of the bubble wrap and all. Ended up paying $30 bucks. She was desperate to sell it as she changed her mind about saltwater LOL. Brand new in the sealed box!!! Couldn't believe it. I am however having a hard time letting go of the Vertex 130. If anything it is a work of art. SUPER well built and for less than @200 shipped. But I will likely send it back now that I have the Tunze. Thanks for the input. (could not get to your link - was curious to see your pictures!)

Cheers,

Something is up with photobucket. I need to find a better photo sharing site.. it was a pic of my skimmer cup with dark expresso from my 9001 

cassianoyoung
Just now, Indiana Reefin said:

Something is up with photobucket. I need to find a better photo sharing site.. it was a pic of my skimmer cup with dark expresso from my 9001 

Toss it here in the thread :) 

cassianoyoung

OK! Like I said earlier, I was not about to dish out $130 on two of the nice Kessil mounts (the gooseneck ones are $90 for a pair, but look horrible with all of the wires hanging everywhere). Also I would prefer if nothing was hanging on my display tank which IMO makes it look much cleaner. Since I have been very patient with his build and thoroughly thinking about each part (as I wait for stuff to arrive in the mail daily ?. I decided to get creative and build my own light mount.

So I went to IKEA bought a 55cm floating shelf for $15 and then hit up Home Depot for 3.5' of 1/2" square aluminum tube for $10, a can of satin Rustoleum $3, and some bolts, nuts and washers. And 4' of small black chain. For a total of about $30 bucks!

after some brainstorming and a whole lot of measurements, it came out even better than I was planning. The tank is just short of 36", so I  set the distance between the two lights at 16", leaving 10" on each of the sides with the idea that since there will be a "cross of light" in the middle section I could push them apart two inches each from he simetrical center (which would put them 12" apart to make sure my sides are getting plenty of light.

Also, I left some room to play on the height. Since I will be using two sets of chains in each lights to control the height, I wanted to be able to raise or lower them as needed.

All of the wires for the controller, power, and link cables will be nicely hidden inside of the square tubing. Also, all of the power and wires will sit at the top of the stand. So I drilled two holes for he light cables at the end of each square tube, and cut a square in he middle of the shelf where a single power extension cord Will come through to feed the lights.

So the design idea here is to have a single wire coming up the wall. I might even route that wire inside of the same type of square tubing and paint it to match the wall and look even cleaner.

here is he final product. I will post a video of the light mount build tomorrow.

cheers,

DBC4205F-02D7-45D0-A1D5-90DC0953386C.jpg

1AFBCB62-D5FF-4F92-A1FD-34C62E39B1E9.jpg

• Like 1
cassianoyoung

Got it all done and I am loving it!!! Check out my DIY Kessil Light mount.

Video on this mount build to be uploaded in this link below:

cheers,

IMG_4492.JPG

IMG_4493.JPG

IMG_4494.JPG