mckinleym

ATS, algae scrubber related questions

mckinleym

Setting up a 10 gal (20" across and 12" deep) for LPS and soft corals with some invertebrates and I am trying to figure out if it's necessary to include an algae turf scrubber to my tank. I know that it's beneficial for corals but is it worth the effort of making one? I don't have a sump or fuge mainly because they look difficult and expensive to set up and I didn't think one would be needed for a tank this small but I'd like to know if it would be worth investing in and how I can go about setting one up. I'm worried about any sort of drilling due to the fact that the glass isn't thick and I'm worried about it breaking. That's why I feel like setting up an ATS would be a lot of work for this tank. Anyone know of a way you can set one up without a sump? 

Any and all advice is much appreciated, I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. 

Thanks a ton! 

lonewonderer

I just made my algae scrubber and its already producing a lot of algae since friday. for a 10 gallon i will just do water changes. i used to have a 24 gallon cube with a lot of softies and LPS. I just feed the fish very minimal and do water changes every 10 days and it was great for 6 months. Then i decided to build a 40 gallon with a 10 gallon sump then move all of them from my 24 gallon to the new 40 gallon tank.