SaltCritters.com

10 gallon nano reef advice

mckinleym

I have been working on laying out the equipment needed for a 10 gallon coral only tank (it's 20 inches long and 12 inches high) where I am planning on getting mostly soft and LPS corals and MAYBE some SPS down the line once I do some more research and have good success with the more hardy corals. I am working on researching everything I need to do to establish this tank successfully as my main concern is and will always be the safety of the corals. I don't care so much about what's "aesthetically pleasing", I just want to give my corals a healthy home. I am aware that 10g is small to house corals and needs constant attention to water quality and I am fully prepared to put forth the time and effort needed. I am currently trying my best to compose a list of items I need for this tank but have seen mixed opinions on certain topics regarding 10 gallon tanks. 

So far I think I'm going with an ABI Tuna Blue LED Bulb and it comes with two watt options on amazon- 12 and 23. Would it be better to go with the 23? Or too overbearing? I know this light is not dimmable but I'm going to try to get a goose neck clamp to allow some distance between the light and the water. 

My next question is about a protein skimmer? I've heard it helps a lot with corals and other people say it's a waste of money. 

Is it better to use sand substrate or go bare bottom? 

What filtration is best for a tank this size? 

And in general, what equipment is absolutely necessary for a tank this size housing only corals, no fish? 

I'd appreciate as much help as I can get :)

Thanks a ton! 

So far I think I'm going with an ABI Tuna Blue LED Bulb and it comes with two watt options on amazon- 12 and 23. Would it be better to go with the 23? Or too overbearing? I know this light is not dimmable but I'm going to try to get a goose neck clamp to allow some distance between the light and the water. 
The 23w you may even need two. But that only has 1 white led in the light which is nothing going to help with growth of the corals.
Going cheap on a light can cost you.

My next question is about a protein skimmer? I've heard it helps a lot with corals and other people say it's a waste of money. 

The nano skimmers suck thats just my .002

Is it better to use sand substrate or go bare bottom? 

Bare bottom is easier

What filtration is best for a tank this size? 

A fuge helps out a lot. For a tank this size I would try for a cheato Reactor.

And in general, what equipment is absolutely necessary for a tank this size housing only corals, no fish? 

Heaters, Lights, Powerheads

I'd appreciate as much help as I can get :)

Thanks a ton! 

Read this for a great example of a healthy 10 gallon Reef Aquarium: https://www.nano-reef.com/featured/2008/tashayar-r12/

I am growing coral under an Amazon ABI Tuna Blue and there are others on here who are as well. I think you would need 2 of the 12w version. 

I wouldn't put a skimmer on a tank that houses only corals, it's not needed. 

Basic equipment needed is a heater, lighting, a HOB filter like an Aquaclear and one supplemental powerhead. You will also need a hydrometer. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd do 1 23 watt (if it provides the right spread for your tank measurements)

Or 2 12watt.

Skimmers aren't  necessary on nano's 

Bare bottom easier to maintain. It's really preference. You could do a little sand around the rocks going gradual to Bare bottom

A powerhead  is necessary: jebao sw2, hydor 240 or 420 are good options

Some just use n hob filter which they use filter floss and various media in. Some use the aquaclear, I use seachem tidal

Heaters: eheim jagger, aqueon pro, or neotherms