inTank Media Baskets

First nano setup

new2reefin

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and wanted to know if I can get some opinions on a good beginner AIO system. Currently I'm looking at the Fluval M60 system, and the Nuvo Fusion 20. 

Are there any distinct advantages, or disadvantages with these two systems. Any help or opinions on these or possibly other systems would be greatly appreciated. I've had multiple freshwater tanks before with success, but this will be my first experience with a salt water system.

Welcome to nano:D

The im' s are very nice tanks. I have the 10g.

I don't know much about that particular fluval  but the evo's are popular.

Red sea are very nice tanks(not an aio has a sump)

There's also biocubes

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

Do a search and check out the tanks you are considering.  See what others like or dislike about that tank.  Also, see what they are using for equipment, filtration, and what livestock they have.

Fluval is nice in that they come almost fully kitted and inexpensive. tank, crummy filter, pump, light and hood. you would need to buy a heater as that's the one thing they don't come with. the Evo 13.5 (aka Evo 12) is their latest addition. if you want to go a little smaller and lower cost, the Spec V is also well regarded...however the light is not suitable for corals as it was originally meant to be a fw tank while the Evo is sw. I don't know what the Evo has for filter basket, but the Spec V has this horrible foam with cutouts for biomedia and charcoal filtration. it channels around those compartments making it pretty useless. 

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/10531-evo-aquarium-kit/#.WXv6L4jyv-g

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/10518-spec-aquarium-kit/#.WXv6aYjyv-g

another good brand with AIO that come with almost everything are the Coralife LED Biocube...the 16 gallon and 32 gallon. not to be mistaken by the older one's...these are WAAAY better. LED lighting that is 'sufficient' for entry level coral, built in timer/programing (sunrise/set) and fans for cooling if/when needed. they are a bit more expensive, but an excellent option.

https://coralifeproducts.com/product/led-biocube/

then, if you have a more flexible budget, Innovative Marine is the bees knees, with the Nuvo Fusion being amongst the most popular. If you check the AIO and Pico forums, you'll see lots about them. I've decided to with the new NUVO Fusion Peninsula 14 or 20...or maybe both. while these come with a pump, you need to buy a media caddy (their Custom or Intank's option), light and heater, it lets you customize everything to suit your preference/purposes/ideals/plans. 

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/nuvo-fusion.html

Thank you for all the info. I got a chance to go to my las the other day and actually got to look at the Fusion 20. I like it a lot but I think I'm leaning towards a Fusion 30l at this point.  I like the longer display and I figure the extra volume should help me some with stability. I've seen some poor reviews in the past on the Fusion 30l with some people saying that their glass was bowed or the back pane of the sump was bowed, but these all seem to be from a few years ago. Was this actually an issue, is it still an issue, or has quality improved since these complaints of years ago.

burtbollinger

30 vs 20....go with the 20....the 30L POTENTIALLY means a bigger and more expensive lighting to cover it right.  

Did a ton of research on the 30 and ended up souring on it.  It's pretty darn long.

Frankly, if forced to do IM, go with the 25 Lagoon....and probably skip the IM stand.  The tank itself though, It looks well built, has a very neat profile, and can be lit decently enough with something like a single AI Prime HD or something.  It would be a nice, versatile setup.  

controversial personal opinion alert...:

re: the Fluval you mention...I wouldn't own one, period.  It says Fluval on it.  Built-up bias based on anecdotal evidence, personal taste and snobbery...I also like Salomon vs Nike, HK vs Glock, ARs vs AKs.

If I were a young college/post-collage kid on a budget...or living in my first apartment..wanting to dabble with a first solid ready-to-go reef tank, IM would make sense.   Seem solid, lots of forum goers here are doing wonderful things with them.

But if you're in your own 'forever' home, you've had a few tanks...and a clean and attractive room addition is a priority, I'd highly recommend ponying up the extra money up front to get a Red Sea Reefer 170.  The look, build quality, versatility, and overall well thought out design simply cannot be touched and is WELL worth the 300-400 dollars extra...which over the life of the tank is a small drop in the bucket.  

With the RSR 170 you get a bulletproof tank, a bulletproof stand, stand, a decent sump and all that entails (using legit skimmers, reactors), a passable ATO... + great customer service, room to move/expand, room to not have a cramped rear sump stuffed with proprietary IM equipment.  

To me, its simple math....300-400 dollars extra to have a night and day (build quality, sump vs cramped back sump, mediocre proprietary equipment) experience over the next 5+ years.

• Like 1

new2reefin, if you like the long look, then consider the Aquamaxx 12 gal long or 22 gal long.

Then you can add an Oceanbox Designs AIO filter/sump module! :)

• Like 1

I did look at the aqua max style but with adding the oceanmax the price becomes very similar for a smaller tank.  I also looked at the red sea equipment but it is quite a bit pricier.  Is the quality of the IM30l not that good?

burtbollinger
18 minutes ago, new2reefin said:

I did look at the aqua max style but with adding the oceanmax the price becomes very similar for a smaller tank.  I also looked at the red sea equipment but it is quite a bit pricier.  Is the quality of the IM30l not that good?

quality isnt the concern...IM seems to be a decent level of quality. to me the concern is lighting it right...and that many (not all) of the lighting solutions I would normally choose for a 20 or 25 suddenly require 2 of them for the 36" 30L.

Id much, much rather have a more modern looking, easier to light 25 Lagoon than the 30L.

If not one of those, I'd start with the IM 20.

With either the IM 25 Lagoon or the IM 20, I'd toss an AI Prime HD on it...MAYBE a Nanobox Duo .

as Burt mentioned, lighting a 30L would be expensive. but actually, that would be true of the 12L or 20L too.

perhaps consider the new IM Nuvo Peninsula 14. I'm quite tempted by it. however, I do like the larger AIO/sump space the IM Nuvo 20 would provide...  :ninja:

actually, if you keep your requirements simple...you could probably look at the Fluval Evo 5 or 13. there have been a couple new threads started and one person has created a tank to be envied using only the stock equipment. regarding the Evo's, the only thing you would really need to upgrade, for sure, is the media basket. the foamy cutout it comes with is atrocious! The replacement basket to buy is made by InTank...they're about $30.

note, one of the primary complaints against the Evo is the light...which is touch on/off only. you can't add a timer or controller or anything.

back to something like the 30L. if you're okay with simple lighting that has on/off only function, you could likely put together an inexpensive solution using 3x ADI Blue Tuna 23w bulbs. They're $35/each and then you'd need mounting hardware...something like a gooseneck or articulating desk lamp, unless you figure a way to suspend it. you would have to space them  so they would cover the entire 36" length of your tank. which really isn't that bad an idea...to be honest.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
burtbollinger
8 minutes ago, Friendly said:

back to something like the 30L...you could likely put together an inexpensive solution using 3x ADI Blue Tuna 23w bulbs. They're $35/each and then you'd need mounting hardware...something like a gooseneck or articulating desk lamp, unless you figure a way to suspend it. you would have to space them  so they would cover the entire 36" length of your tank...

LOL...see why the 30L is a pain in the rear and an IM 25 with a single AI Prime HD becomes preferable?

single AI Prime HD is easier, but almost 3x the cost.  ;)

keep in mind it's got built in software and controller so you can simulate sunrise/sunset, cloudy days or even thunderstorms. B)

Ok, so I ordered my tank today, I went with the IM Lagoon 25. I also looked at the Fusion 40 but I was drawn to the Lagoon 25 for some reason.  I have a few questions. I don't really like the IM stands that are available and I want to build my own. What height do most people suggest for the stand? I know the tank is shallow and I was thinking of at least 36" high or maybe even 40"? Also I was thinking about putting in two spin streams on the outputs. I know I would need to upgrade the pump. Should I get one pump or possibly two pumps, (one to each output)? If so which pump or pumps would you suggest? Would this produce enough flow or would I still need additional powerheads?

Thanks

Great choice on the lagoon, I just set mine up and absolutely love it so far! My pump came with a broken ceramic rod, so I am just going to go ahead and upgrade to the Sicce Syncra 1.5 and call it a day.

About the stand, I custom made mine as well, and went with 32". I feel like it is high enough to enjoy while standing, but doesn't seem too ridiculous when sitting down (mine is in my living room). Ultimately, it's up to you on that, but I wouldn't go shorter than 30". 

Oh, and you'll probably still want a powerhead besides the rear pump to direct flow in different directions, but this depends on what coral you have and where it is.