Pod Your Reef

MockandRoll's Reefer 170 - 1 Month After Moving

MockandRoll

MockandRoll

So my family and I bought a home last month (2/22).  The move was only two miles but it still sucked.  I moved the family on Friday-Sunday then moved the tank myself all day Monday. I mixed 30 gallons of saltwater and rinsed new sand at the new home the night before. The day of the tank move I started by individually bagging all the corals I could and placing them in an ice chest. I then broke the rock structure down (with all encrusting corals still attached) into 4 pieces since most of it is mortared together. I put those pieces into a trash can that was already in the back of a truck and started adding the remaining water 5 gallons at a time.  I had a powerhead in the trash can while I worked on breaking the rest of the tank down. I dumped all the sand, caught all remaining snails, shrimp, fish, etc then loaded up the tank. I was glad I was able to pick up the tank and stand myself since I had no help. 

I made the quick drive very slowly then set it back up with new sand.  I didn't worry about how the rock structure looked or anything the first day. I just wanted all the corals back in the tank under stable temps and salinity. i used about 15-20 gallons of the fresh saltwater. After I got it all set back up (1 powerhead, heater, return pump) I went back to the old home and picked up all the equipment but didn't worry about resetting it up since I was done for the day. I set the light up the next night. I manually topped off the tank for the first few days while I slowly got all the equipment set back up again. After getting the equipment right, I started messed with the rockscape and gluing corals back a little at a time. I finally got it looking decent this last weekend. The rockscape ended up looking basically the same as before.  I have been fighting slim algae that I think is the result of losing the mature sandbed.  Overall I think it was an amazing success for my first tank move.

20180326_200401-01

20180326_211952-01

20180326_211903-01

20180326_200627-01

20180326_200717-01

20180326_200422-01

• Like 3
MockandRoll
15 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Glad the move went smoothly. 

I'll be moving 50 miles next month. :scarry:

Good luck. Have plenty of saltwater ready at the new location and have one day reserved just for moving the tank.

• Like 1

I'm so glad it went well. Sounds like you did a good job of thinking things through and focusing on getting the corals back into a good environment as quickly as possible. 

MockandRoll
5 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I'm so glad it went well. Sounds like you did a good job of thinking things through and focusing on getting the corals back into a good environment as quickly as possible. 

That was the plan. One thing that probably helped keep toxins to a minimum was discarding the bagged water each coral was transported in and replacing with fresh. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...