Cultivated Reef

Half Gallon Pico Jar

diddy2k

It's been a while, and I had that itch again. Just started (well, brought to work after cycle) a jar for my desk. I wanted a lamp because sometimes we keep the lights off in the office. Instant inspiration. The "lamp that grows coral" was born. Welcome to the the journal. Installed 07/20/2017.

IMG_1447

COMPONENTS AND MATERIALS
- Ball Wide Mouth Half Gallon Mason Jar
- EcoPlus Eco Air 1
- Jebao Pp300Lv Water Pump 40 GPH (for water changes)
- 15W E27 Warm White LED Bulb (lens removed)
- (2) Royal Blue, (1) Blue, (1) UV, (1) Warm White LEDs
- 1/2" PVC pipe (light stand)
- Pipe fittings: (3) 90 sxs, (1) T
- Aquarium airline tubing
- Plexiglass (lid and led splash guard)
- Spray shellac (for metal ring)

- E27 bulb socket
- Epoxy

----------

INHABITANTS
- 1lb live rock
- (2) Blue Leg Hermit
- (2) Bristle Worms
- (1) Stomatella Snail

----------

CORAL FRAGS
- (1) Aussie Big Polyp Blastomussa - Single head
- (1) Fiji Bam Bam Orange Zoanthid - Large polyp with 4 baby buds

• Like 6

I like this! 

Do you have a link to the bulb you are using for this? Did you replace the LEDs in it? 

I'd like to know more about it. 

@SeaFurn The seller I ordered from changed their listing, but here is the same offering, actually $2 cheaper for the 8 pack that I bought. It was a much better deal than a single. I use warm white for indoor plants and I figured I'd probably be making a few more of these bulbs. You can also search ebay for the E27 15W Reef LED, they're generally around $5 shipped. The color is terrible on them, you will need to change those leds too. I'll be making a video on how I mod them soon. Maybe I'll make a few for sale, I don't know.

E27 15W Warm White LED 8x

I found this seller that had 3W LEDs without PCB in specific wavelengths I wanted. I had to purchase 10 packs of each, but that's ok because I'll be making more.

Wavelengths purchased were:

Violet 405-410nm

Royal Blue 440-450nm

Blue 460-470nm

I also bought some warm white 3000-3500K, natural white 4000-4500K, and Green 520-523nm, but after reading this awesome article on LED Colors and experimenting with a few different combinations, I settled on what I believed to be the most useful combination and color hue that I personally liked looking at. Also, the warm white LEDs I pulled off this bulb look exactly the same as the ones I purchased, so maybe I didn't need to but I tried to keep manufacturer the same on all colors.

I used a socket like this, different seller, but I search for "E27 socket fixture". Much nicer than what Walmart offers. Didn't even bother looking at Home Depot.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions, and I'll post a mod video some time later in the week.

• Like 1
MedievalITGuy
20 hours ago, diddy2k said:

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions, and I'll post a mod video some time later in the week.

I'd love to see the video, if you're still planning on putting it out. I've been dabbling in diy LED bulbs like this for a while. Currently I've got one inside of an ikea lamp that I keep meaning to do a DIY on. It would be cool to see what other people are doing also.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, diddy2k said:

@SeaFurn The seller I ordered from changed their listing, but here is the same offering, actually $2 cheaper for the 8 pack that I bought. It was a much better deal than a single. I use warm white for indoor plants and I figured I'd probably be making a few more of these bulbs. You can also search ebay for the E27 15W Reef LED, they're generally around $5 shipped. The color is terrible on them, you will need to change those leds too. I'll be making a video on how I mod them soon. Maybe I'll make a few for sale, I don't know.

E27 15W Warm White LED 8x

I found this seller that had 3W LEDs without PCB in specific wavelengths I wanted. I had to purchase 10 packs of each, but that's ok because I'll be making more.

Wavelengths purchased were:

Violet 405-410nm

Royal Blue 440-450nm

Blue 460-470nm

I also bought some warm white 3000-3500K, natural white 4000-4500K, and Green 520-523nm, but after reading this awesome article on LED Colors and experimenting with a few different combinations, I settled on what I believed to be the most useful combination and color hue that I personally liked looking at. Also, the warm white LEDs I pulled off this bulb look exactly the same as the ones I purchased, so maybe I didn't need to but I tried to keep manufacturer the same on all colors.

I used a socket like this, different seller, but I search for "E27 socket fixture". Much nicer than what Walmart offers. Didn't even bother looking at Home Depot.

Very helpful.  

Yeah def make a video.

i've got some drone work to do tomorrow night so while i have the soldering iron hot i'll make a bulb and get video. should be up friday.

@MedievalITGuy Hope it's not an expensive bulb or there is good airflow in and around the enclosed lamp shade. I had a cheap PAR38 inside a lamp like that and the leds burned out after a few months, just got way to hot inside the enclosure. Ultimately that's why I run these open and the heatsink still gets pretty hot.

MedievalITGuy

@diddy2k, the LED I have in it is a single star with 4x 3w leds mounted on it, so 12w total. I think the star was only $5, because I was able to get it from a seller on AliExpress. The lamp is designed to run one LED at 2w, but I've only got the bulbs turned up to about half power, and it gets warm to the touch, but not hot.  I've been running it this way for 4-6 months now with no noticeable problems thus far. It's certainly not the most foolproof setup, I'd like something with a bigger heat-sink eventually, but I needed something aesthetically pleasing since this is by my bedside, and the less cluttered it looks the happier my wife is with it :P

Here's the lamp, for reference http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

• Like 1

WARNING: Graphic images to follow :(

Feeling pretty salty today. We had to move offices at work. I hate moving. My previous office was a comfortable 76 degrees and I did not have a problem with water temperature. New office thermostat at 70 and while after one day the blasto didn't seem to mind, snails were getting lazy and zoas were half closed. So yesterday I put a 7.5w Deep Blue Beta heater in because I could not find anything that will fit this jar. I did a water change and left the heater in for 10 minutes before plugging it. Despite all the warnings of these being a BAD IDEA, I used it anyway. Came in this morning to 90 degree water, zoa's melting, and the blasto looks totally dead. I'm going to take the jar home at lunch. We keep the house at 78 so hopefully the zoas will recover and I can get a heater plan if I ever bring this back to the office. I'm so pissed at that heater right now.

In more positive news, I shot footage of a bulb mod last night but did not edit. I'll edit tonight and get it up on youtube.

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

Yikes - not good. I know you feel like crap about it. 

Probably goes without saying that you gotta use a temp controller with these small heaters in small systems. But they are just a smart move in any system. 

I use a Finnex on mine. Others use inkbirds, or Apex Jrs.

Hope you can save the zoas. 

I do feel awful. Just watched Chasing Coral on Netflix a few days ago and was not prepared for it to be so emotionally powerful. Literally brought a tear or two. Then I'm going to a friend's memorial service tonight and come in to coral death. Sad day.

What heating element do you run? Guess I could add this heater to a controller, it's known to heat the water well. Maybe I won't throw this one away, it's the smallest form factor I can find. I think the Hydor Beta is too large to fit at the bottom of the jar, and the panel style ones are just too wide. This fits nicely behind the rocks. I'll look into the controllers. Until then I'm going to let it rehab at home where it was stable for 6 weeks prior. I'm in Central Florida so I have some time before I need to worry about a heater, but ultimately want this back on my desk so I'll get this sorted out before winter comes.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend as well.

I use a Cobalt 10w heater along with a Finnex Max-300 Digital Aquarium Heater Controller.  I started with Tetra 50w but for some reason it didn't work with Finnex controller.  But I like the Cobalt.  My bowl barely fluctuates from 78.5.  The thing with temperature controllers is you have to calibrate them with the heater your using so you get the controller ranges set for the temps you want to keep the jar at.  It's not hard to do and I can walk you through it when you get one. 

I think your heater will be fine as long as you get an external controller.

Here's a thread that's interesting on small heaters:

MedievalITGuy

Sorry to hear about the coral loss, that really blows. 

I've used the Cobalt Mini-therm 5w heater before in a 1gal beta bowl. I would definitely recommend hooking it up with a temp controller if you can, but it never brought the 1gal to dangerous temps despite not being controlled, so it might be a slightly safer option than a more powerful heater. I am by no means an expert though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090I7RC2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Thanks @MedievalITGuy I'm definitely ordering a temp controller. I'm going to try to reuse the 7.5w beta stik because it's so small and hides behind the rockwork well. But I have been eyeing the Cobalt's as an alternative if this doesn't work out.

As far as the tank goes, lost two snails, haven't seen the bristleworms, the blasto has a clear goo? covering the head now (not sure if it's trying to come back), the main zoa is still opening half way but is leaned over and the babies are opening. The stomatella is still rocking around so there's a plus. Things are much more stable at my house.

On 7/26/2017 at 3:04 PM, SeaFurn said:

Very helpful.  

Yeah def make a video.

I finally got some time to edit and upload the mod video. I've had a busy couple days. Here ya go!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...