Coral Vue Hydros

Clown's Nuvo20

Clown79

2 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Forgive my bluntness, but how much did you pay for your RFAs? I'd like to get 1-3, but my LFS is charging $75 for a rather plain looking one. I understand they have to turn a profit, but that seems quite steep.  Should I start looking for one elsewhere? 

The price varies.

Rfa's look plain under white light, the colour pops under blue.

I purchased a few from a local hobbiest which ranged from $20- 30. That was the green ones and blue with red.

The dark orange/red was $59

The orange and yellow was $75

The orange with yellow mouth and dark green and red were both $30 

The fancy rfa's here range between $59- $195

Try finding local hobbiests selling them or try online sources. $75  for green is high.

• Wow 1
Christopher Marks
On 3/7/2019 at 3:14 PM, Clown79 said:

Major changes happened last weekend.

I have wanted an anemone only tank so this weekend we did a major overhaul.

I shut down my 5.5g and converted my 10g into an anemone tank

0002.jpg

I love this new direction! Anemones remain a curiosity of mine, I haven't kept one since my very first saltwater tank.

On 3/11/2019 at 4:34 PM, Clown79 said:

My clown has been super curious of 1 particular RFA, the big plain green one. hovers above it and stares at it. Everytime I try to get a pic, he leaves.

Haha I don't know why I find this so funny. Decision fatigue with a tank full of anemones, poor guy 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I love this new direction! Anemones remain a curiosity of mine, I haven't kept one since my very first saltwater tank.

Haha I don't know why I find this so funny. Decision fatigue with a tank full of anemones, poor guy 😄 

I love the anemones. I wish I had done this from the beginning!

The clowns hilarious. Now he swims in between 2 of them.

• Like 1

New additions to my tank.

2 anemone shrimp and a FBTA.

I couldn't resist, it was just too pretty.🤣

Moved my acans out of the tank, 2 got damaged by the dragon soul so they are repairing in my pico jar.

I also changed the pump to the mighty jet and added an rfg nozzle. 

I did have a fish guard on the overflow but it was causing the surface to not clear, so out it went.😁

20190323_220820.jpg

20190323_172743.jpg

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Tombob84 said:

Great tank, it’s come a long way love how it now looks. Keep up the great work 

happy reefing.

Thank you

Gorgeous anemone. Whats the size of the thing? I feed mine only once/week and it’s doubled in size over the last few months.

Edit; maybe three times as I just look at these picsAF62BDEC-32B2-43E6-BE59-B5598EB78DF7.thumb.png.2676b44dde5b276f08dbfd55334179b2.png

F530FC79-4299-4F93-A7A5-E100A04479E8.thumb.png.7842f07923805a0806e008a4d2b0e915.png

6 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Gorgeous anemone. Whats the size of the thing? I feed mine only once/week and it’s doubled in size over the last few months.

Edit; maybe three times as I just look at these picsAF62BDEC-32B2-43E6-BE59-B5598EB78DF7.thumb.png.2676b44dde5b276f08dbfd55334179b2.png

F530FC79-4299-4F93-A7A5-E100A04479E8.thumb.png.7842f07923805a0806e008a4d2b0e915.png

I would say 2.5" across give or take.

I feed mine mysis weekly

• 1 month later...

Anemones are so fun to watch. 

My  rbta has lightened in colour and decided to go where the rbta was. I guess it prefers less light because it chose a weird area of the tank and stretches to the light.. The rbta was not happy to have a neighbour so it moved. 

Of course my rfa moved to the back dark side of the tank because the rbta was next to it. I hope it moves to the front, it's so pretty and its in the dark.

Xenia are indestructible! They grow amongst the rfa's and bta's, I 've had to prune them. I thought the anemones would destroy them...nope.

I  removed all the brains, my acans got damaged from the favia, there just wasn't enough room for them with the anemones.

Everything else is pretty normal. The clown and blenny are best buds, swim together all day long. When the blenny perches the clown follows.

My clown now hosts the back wall. He was hosting the favia, has no interest in the bta's.

nuvo.jpg

nem 2.jpg

nuvo2.jpg

rfa's.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

My clown now hosts the back wall. He was hosting the favia, has no interest in the bta's.

I know this too well - my clown will host everything but my BTA

39 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

I know this too well - my clown will host everything but my BTA

They are so odd. Lol.

23 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Ive found my quad colored nems like to be lower in the tank with my lighting as well. They seem so happy and fluffy down there😊

I would just like to see it. Where it is, its virtually impossible to see it😒  it sucks!

18 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

They are so odd. Lol.

I would just like to see it. Where it is, its virtually impossible to see it😒  it sucks!

Luckily mine is up front and easy to check out(knock on wood) mine luckily stay put when I put em in...most the time...😆

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I updated, been a busy summer!

Tank his been going good. No major issues.

My phos has been high in this tank no matter what I do and it's kinda odd since I only feed the nems 1 time a week and even with pretty large waterchanges, multiple weekly waterchanges, and using phosguard, it barely moves and creeps back up quickly.

My fish get along wonderfully, they are like best buds. Lol. 

My rbta split so I now have 3 bta's. 

My rfa's are odd. Most don't open up fully except the ones that moved to the back, I suspect it may be too direct of light on the rfa's or the bta's are too close.

Added a few more rfa's. They were cheap and I couldn't leave them. They are slightly bleached but gaining colour already in my tank. I was hoping I had gotten a white one but it was just bleached.

20190810_185140.jpg

20190810_182331.jpg

20190810_182148.jpg

• Like 4

Upgrade time! 

We decided we wanted to get a bigger tank so we went with an IM 20, I love the IM tanks.

We had a stand built by a friend and I painted it black to match my other furniture.

We will be using the single Micmol on it, Rfg nozzles with y splitters so we can use 4 rfg's and no powerhead. I will continue using my Mighty Jet pump because it's great. 

I'll be using Fiji pink livesand but will be washing it first. Will be adding caribsea liferock, I really like this rock, best dry rock I've used.

We plan the transfer this weekend. I expect it to take longer since I have 8 rfa's to remove...that part I don't look forward to because they decided to attach to the bottom glass/eggcrate under the sand.

20190818_131107.jpg

20190829_101823.jpg

20190829_101842.jpg

20190829_101918.jpg

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Exciting! The stand came out nice. This is going to be fun to watch. Are you taking the Nuvo 10 down or going to repurpose it? 

Thank you.

For right now, the 10g is being shut down but I'm definitely keeping it because you never know. Lol.

• Like 3
BadgerReefing
On 8/29/2019 at 8:55 AM, Clown79 said:

Been a while since I updated, been a busy summer!

Tank his been going good. No major issues.

My phos has been high in this tank no matter what I do and it's kinda odd since I only feed the nems 1 time a week and even with pretty large waterchanges, multiple weekly waterchanges, and using phosguard, it barely moves and creeps back up quickly.

My fish get along wonderfully, they are like best buds. Lol. 

My rbta split so I now have 3 bta's. 

My rfa's are odd. Most don't open up fully except the ones that moved to the back, I suspect it may be too direct of light on the rfa's or the bta's are too close.

Added a few more rfa's. They were cheap and I couldn't leave them. They are slightly bleached but gaining colour already in my tank. I was hoping I had gotten a white one but it was just bleached.

20190810_185140.jpg

20190810_182331.jpg

20190810_182148.jpg

That first pic of the bta is outrageously cool. 

• Thanks 1
  • Clown79 changed the title to Clown's Nuvo20

So the upgrade happened, it was a long day. It went fairly smoothly but we did have a few hiccups that cost us time.

I tried doing things in stages, getting things ready a few days before really helped cut down the time and work done on the day of the transfer.

2 days before I washed anything new like RFG nozzles, media baskets, and cleaned all buckets and containers.

Day before I made salt water, washed the sand, and gathered everything I would need into one area.

The day of, I took everything out and my kitchen turned into a fish room. I tried organizing everything for easy access. Saltwater was heated and aerated, ready to go.

I siphoned water into a bucket and into 2 large containers.

1 bucket I placed my LR with the bta's on it. Couldn't catch the blenny so he was pulled out with the rock. He hides in a deep hole in there so it was impossible to catch him. 

1 container was my lobo, clown, and hermits.

the last container was RFA's.

Each container had air hoses to keep oxygen levels good, the bucket had a heater added.

It's a good thing I have collected extra equipment, it comes in handy for transfers, builds, and moves.

I thought removing the RFA's was going to be a PITA but it was fairly easy and quick.

By this point we were making great time until we placed the 20g in on the stand. The top of the stand we had made by a friend, wasn't even. There was a small leveling issue. So we had to run out and get some foam board. That killed a lot of time since the transfer was on hold.

Finally foam board is cut and in place, tank is now level, we continued on and started the aquascape.

We were using liverock from the 10g, liverock I had in a 5.5g, and caribsea liferock for aquascaping this system. We tried pre planning an aquascape by drawing out a few ideas and we pre cut the dry rock to have it ready.

We used small pieces of eggcrate under the rockwork since we were working with larger pieces and wanted the most stability.

Since we were doing aquascape with liverock that had anemones on it and a fish in it, we had to work swiftly. I sprayed the rock, the nems, and the blenny home with saltwater I had in a spray bottle. This kept things from drying and stress.

Luckily, the rock work went together nicely and needed only a bit of epoxy.  Added the new sand which I also added about a cup or so of old sand from the 10g. to seed the new sand.

We decided to go with one large island built with large and small rocks, to create depth we angled the rocks with the largest in the back, creating a bridge to a mid size rock in the front.

We added a rock of gsp on one side with additional liverock to form a small island. I really like the one rock, it has a huge cave in it, which the blenny can use.

We then proceeded to fill the tank so that the blenny wouldn't be at risk. He came swimming out within a half hour exploring his new home. I was so happy to see he was fine.

Once the tank was fairly clear, about an hour later, I tested Salinity, Alk, Everything was spot on.

RFA's were added to their own rock and my clown and everything else was added to the tank.

Everyone was pretty happy. Corals are doing great, RBTA's very happy. My 1 bta has decided to go on the move but I expected that. For some reason he likes moving around.

My RFA's have been off since around May and I can't figure out why. They eat, are alive but simply won't open up like they used to, they stay scrunched up.

I thought at one point maybe too much light because a lot of them were moving to darker areas in the 10g, so they are now in lower light and starting to open but still not the way they were. My prettiest on is hiding under a rock ledge in the dark.

There is a lot of shadowing right now in the tank because we are slowly acclimating the light to higher levels but I have other lights I can always add if need be.

So everything went well besides the one hiccup, it took longer than it would have but it's done and we really like the 20g.

now I need to plan what else we can add coral wise to the tank and not sure what corals to go with.

20190904_203055.jpg

20190904_203021.jpg

20190901_163425.jpg

20190904_202731.jpg

20190904_202807.jpg

20190904_202751.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 3

Wow - sounds like you handled a lot of stress very gracefully - and at the same time kept all your livestock far from any stress - great work, looks fantastic!

• Like 2