Top Shelf Aquatics

Clown's Nuvo20

Clown79

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2018 at 7:12 PM, 12scanlon said:

What corals do u recommend? I’m thinking about a hammer or a frogspawn but at my LFS they 50$ to 150 a piece.

I love lps. They are my favourite. I also have a soft spot for ricordea mushrooms.

Frogspawn and hammer are great. 

Here 1 head frag can go from $24-$80 depending on the colour 

Multi head colonies can be very expensive.

A 2 head orange hammer I saw for $225 last weekend.

I love acans. So much variety. Blastos are another nice option.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I love lps. They are my favourite. I also have a soft spot for ricordea mushrooms.

Frogspawn and hammer are great. 

Here 1 head frag can go from $24-$80 depending on the colour 

Multi head colonies can be very expensive.

A 2 head orange hammer I saw for $225 last weekend.

I love acans. So much variety. Blastos are another nice option.

Frozen_Monstrosity_Acan_-_10_compact_cropped.jpg?v=1522522492

Frozen Monstrosity Acan

Nuclear_Stem_Super_Torch_Double_-_Retail_Price_50_SALE_PRICE_30_compact_cropped.jpg?v=1520626198Nuclear Stem Super Torch Double

ASD_Ice_Chilli_-_Retail_Price_50_SALE_PRICE_20_compact_cropped.jpg?v=1520112486

ASD Ice Chilli (I know it SPS just trying it out)

All of this cost me 100$ bucks in total. Tips would be great if you have any experience with these types of corals. Need all the elf I can get. Thx.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

Need all the elf I can get.

Pretty sure you would have to go to the North pole for them, but if we are going on an elf hunt I'm in.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, da1001 said:

Pretty sure you would have to go to the North pole for them, but if we are going on an elf hunt I'm in.

meant to say Help I can get. But for real, I’m in on the elf hunt. ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Acans like moderate light and moderate flow.

I feed mine 1 time a week with either pellets or mysis.

Torch is the same. Keep it far from others and make sure the tentacles aren't being blown to 1 side. The tentacles should sway.

Monti's like moderate to high light and moderate flow. If feeding it, things like reef roids is best.

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Acans like moderate light and moderate flow.

I feed mine 1 time a week with either pellets or mysis.

Torch is the same. Keep it far from others and make sure the tentacles aren't being blown to 1 side. The tentacles should sway.

Monti's like moderate to high light and moderate flow. If feeding it, things like reef roids is best.

I’m gonna keep the corals all on the sand for 1 week for acclimation then move them where they need to go. I have lots of nutrients and amino acids etc in my water so won’t be feeding the montipora. Should I place the on its own rock so it can encrust it as much as it wants? Also should I keep the torch on the sand? 

• Clown79 changed the title to IM Reef Escape

So it's been a few months and things have gone really smooth..knock on nothing changes😊

My parameters are pretty stable. I dose a small amount of esv bionic 2 part daily.

I have been doing water changes every 2 weeks for 2 months and the tank seems to be enjoying it. 

The tank is now 3 years old and maintaining it is fairly routine and smooth.

Corals look really happy. 

I changed the light. I'm running the ABI Tuna Blue 12w and corals like it. 

I originally had the aquamaxx nemolight on the tank. Because the rockwork is so high, the corals sat directly under the light. The nemolight sits low. I had a frogspawn bleach, Hammer was pale and not fully expanded, duncans were pale.

Since the change I have noticed a difference. My hammers are now purple, my duncans have more colour and sprouting new heads.

I placed a golden hammer in the tank. It was from my other tank. It was never happy. Never opened up. I placed it in the 10g and within 2 days it has been more open then it has for a long time. 

My toadstool is a monster, It's getting so big and I thought the dragon soul favia would lack light but it seems to be happy being shadowed, its grown a bit. 

My clowns love sleeping in the toadstool but only at night. There is no interaction with it during the day.

MY female clown is not a very nice fish. The poor guy is always hanging out in certain areas, she's always chasing him. I really like the male. I've never seen a clown move so fast. he's The Flash. lol.

toadstool.jpg

toadstool 2.jpg

reef escape 2.jpg

iris photo bomb.jpg

nepthea and flash.jpg

iris.jpg

green duncan.jpg

gold hammer.jpg

Flash.jpg

dragon soul favia.jpg

blue moon acan.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Clown, since you have given me plenty advise during my setup, I thought I would come over and give you a virtual high five - what a great looking tank. Hopefully mine will look like this one day.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Clown, since you have given me plenty advise during my setup, I thought I would come over and give you a virtual high five - what a great looking tank. Hopefully mine will look like this one day.

Thank you😁

The leathers have grown so big I just cut them off and trading them in.  The nepthea's stem was bending to keep itself in the water.

Amazing - what you trade them in for?

Just before I browse through the pictures again, you mentioned a stand was made. Any tips/pictures? I am quite handy when I have to be and I while I have a stand, I would want to make my own fairly soon.

On 7/14/2018 at 5:58 PM, Daniel91 said:

Amazing - what you trade them in for?

Just before I browse through the pictures again, you mentioned a stand was made. Any tips/pictures? I am quite handy when I have to be and I while I have a stand, I would want to make my own fairly soon.

Lol. My hubby made the stand. Simple box design with 2x4's, 2x2's. The stand is really over kill for a 10g. 

I couldn't pick it up it's that heavy! 

I will post pics soon but have none on my phone of the stand build.

I brought the leathers in to a store and I got credit so I picked up some rodi filters, cured liverock for my qt, cheato. 

I have to work on the tank as the xenia needs pruning and thing need to be moved around.

There flesh left so the leathers will regrow.

The female clown was getting very aggressive with Flash so she is in qt now and I will be bringing her to the store.

Poor Flash couldn't swim freely, always hiding in the rocks because she would charge at him. His dorsal fin has a bit of damage so she has been removed. 

He was swimming all around the tank tonight

I always hear stories about these females being bullies. Happy Flash is finally able to enjoy life again. Plan on getting him another partner/let him enjoy single life for a bit?

20 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

I always hear stories about these females being bullies. Happy Flash is finally able to enjoy life again. Plan on getting him another partner/let him enjoy single life for a bit?

I'm thinking possibly going with a goby.

I have 2 clowns in my 25g so maybe do something different with the 10g 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tanks being doing good. Since i removed my leathers the tank has looked bare but things are growing now.

I used to have a birdsnest in there and I guess there was a tiny bit of flesh left after removal and in the last few weeks I have seen 1" growth.

I rearranged my corals and I have plans to add some new ones since I changed my light.

My clown has been super sociable since I removed the female and now my shrimp comes out too..

My clown now completely hosts my xenia. It's quite cute.

I had been using an Abi Tuna on  the tank but it was only 12 watts, the spread was a little weak for 10g.

I wanted a light with better spread, control, and options.

I lucked out to get a discounted Micmol g3 Aqua mini for an unbiased review.

I was always interested in this light since they released the Aqua g2. I'm happy to try out the new model and see what it can do.

I was really surprised by the quality of this light. Its well built. The light mount is really strong. I'm always worried about the brackets holding the light but this one definitely isn't an issue.

So far the light has been great. It was really easy to set up. It doesn' have wifi capabilities but thats not a feature I need.

Its full spectrum and programmable and that's what I really like and wanted. Easy to use to, just simple touch screen.

The one issue is that the buttons can be sensitive so I locked it once it was set so I don't accidentally change anything. Nice feature as I have a habit of accidentally touching buttons. Lol 

It has some pretty cool features. It has dawn, sunrise, midday, dusk, and night so I set it up using the auto option to follow the full day lighting. 

There's options for 10k, 15k, 20k but I decided to set it up with my own percentages as it is a much stronger light to the par38 and I like a heavy blue spectrum with less white.

But for those who don't want to create their own settings, the option is there for presets.

It has a fan to keep the light cool, it is noticeable but its not very loud. The room my tank is in is super quiet, you wouldn't here the fan in a room with tv, talking, music etc.

What i do really think is a neat feature is that the fixture also tells you the temp of the fixture. I've never seen that before.

The fixture doesn' get hot to touch, at all which is great.

I really like how my corals look under this light. The pop is much better and the spread is great. My whole tank is lit now. No more shadowing from the spot light.

I will update further as time goes on using this light.

Now I need to figure out what corals to add to fill in the empty spots and find another fish too.

I think a goby would be cool.

20180727_174242.jpg

20180727_232121.jpg

• Like 3
Nano Nano Boo Boo

Beautiful tank! I always appreciate your input on my personal tanks and it’s obviously well placed. Getting a 14 gallon peninsula rolling today. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 10:08 AM, Stoops718 said:

I've been running the same light. What percentages and schedule are you using?

Bumping for feedback on the Micmol.

The micmol has been really good.

My regrown birdsnest has already split its branch and grown more since adding the light. I can't believe how much its grown from a tiny piece of flesh.

My dragon soul favia has been more plump and colorful since adding the light. The favia had not been happy. Its flesh literally hung all day and slightly plumped when lights out.

Now its plump all day.

zoas are completely open. 

Everything is happy.

I am running the micmol 50% blue, 20% white. I use the dawn,sunrise, dusk, and night schedule. 

The blue had been at 70% but things were not opening so that was too high to start with compared to the par38. 

My clown has been hosting the xenia but he is so social now that his bully girlfriend is gone.

I have a tailspot in qt right now which will be his new friend.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Growth looking amazing. What is the name of those hammers? I like the color.

They are just green hammers. 

• Clown79 changed the title to Clown's Nuvo20