Coral Vue Hydros

75 gallon reef tank set up

Coraline21

Hi everyone new hobbiest into saltwater tanks previous owner of multiple freshwater

got a 75 gallon tank I am wanting to make into a reef tank and would like input on what brands I should look into for all my equipment skimmer , lighting, power head etc if someone can give me advice on everything I need not trying to spend a fortune but at the same time want the best for my tank 

Are you doing a sump? With larger tanks sumps are the best method for filtration.

I can't really help with the plumbing and setting up a sump because I have never run one. 

Powerheads will depend on budget same with lights.

Powerheads:

Jebao wavemakers are good and well priced. The rw models have a good reputation.

Aqamai is new but looks great

Hydor Koralia

Sicce

Tunze 

Ecotech Mp40 

Lighting will depend on what you plan on keeping and the dimensions of the tank. You may need multiple fixtures.

Leds are favoured and if planning on corals:

Mars aqua ×2

Aqua Illumination 

Kessil

Radion 

Nanobox

Current orbit

Aquamaxx nemolight

Eheim jagger heaters are great.

refractometer Is a must.

You will need liverock to cycle the tank or dry reef rock with ammonia and bacteria dosing.

You will need testers, buckets, salt, ro/di or distilled water, filter media, vacuum, turkey baster, aragonite sand or bare bottom.

• Like 2

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:19 PM, Coraline21 said:

if someone can give me advice on everything I need

That's a big request.  Clown79 did a decent job outlining some of the equipment.  But like she said, we really need to know a little bit more.  Knowing what you plan on doing will help us recommend more suitable equipment.

Like her, I'd also recommend using a sump (maybe just a 29 gallon tank with a baffle).  You could drill your display tank and get a Glass-Holes overflow kit for it.

Minimum equipment (without a sump) would entail a HOB filter, powerhead, heater, and light (not counting a hydrometer, test kits, thermometer, etc).  Knowing your budget would also help.

• Like 2
On 7/24/2017 at 11:19 PM, Coraline21 said:

Hi everyone new hobbiest into saltwater tanks previous owner of multiple freshwater

got a 75 gallon tank I am wanting to make into a reef tank and would like input on what brands I should look into for all my equipment skimmer , lighting, power head etc if someone can give me advice on everything I need not trying to spend a fortune but at the same time want the best for my tank 

Search this forum and YouTube for tanks of that size and get some idea of what you would like to do first.  Then educate yourself on the different equipment options and choose what is right for your project. 

I am currently cycling my 75 Gallon and have a build thread here. Also @Travis has a newly set up 75 Gallon........ just to name a few.  

• Like 1