SaltCritters.com

full tank rescaping

gogeta

I really want to do a full rescape, i stupidly put my rock in quickly and good enough was good enough as i was on a time delay and wanted to get the cycle going before leaving for a few weeks. i want to change it now before the tank matures much more and unsettling things may be a worse problem. I have never done a major rescape before once a tank is up and running, moved a couple rocks or added and removed a rock or two but nothing like full blown rescape. Tank isn't that old but it is already pretty full of coral, my plan is to remove the coral, fish and inverts. i will bag the fish (only 2 clowns) and put the coral and inverts in a bucket with tank water and either an air stone or a powerhead. Move the rock around try and siphon any detritus and any other nasties that come up. throw in a 30% water change just for good measure. obviously try and not disturb the sand bed too much. my question is anyone thats done a full on rescape does this sound ok?

also one more specific question will my sps be ok in a confined bucket with a leather coral or should i separate the leather coral? even have two buckets one for sps and one for the rest? ive had problems in the past were a leather coral was annoying sps being close to it so i don't think it would be a good idea to put them all together in a more confined space. 

I wouldn't bag the fish. I'd put them in a bucket with a heater and powerhead. 

The corals will be fine in a bucket. If you're worried put the leather with the fish.

I have rescaped my tank but I replaced my sand bed at the same time as it was my main reason for a complete aquascape.

In my 15g I have rescaped but my main rocks stayed in place as I don't put the rocks on the sand but rather on cut eggcrate which lays on the glass. I worked my aquascape around those.

Definitely try not to disturb the sand too much and vacuum up as much as you can. A good waterchange will help but ensure parameters match so there are no issues.

Keeping seachem prime on hand is always a good idea.

I believe @seabass has reaquascaped before. He may have some advice to give as well.

How long has the tank been running? How often do you vacuum or stir the sandbed, if ever?

The main concern would be disturbing the sand bed. There can be lots of nasty possibly dead stuff underneath rocks in the sand. When I adjust or move a rock in my tank it always kicks up the sand bed causing a detritus and dust storm, even just moving a rock over 1 inch kicks stuff up. I've never done a full rescape but I'm betting it will make the water super nasty, no matter how careful you are. I'd say do a larger water change after you're done, 50% at least.

7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I wouldn't bag the fish. I'd put them in a bucket with a heater and powerhead. 

The corals will be fine in a bucket. If you're worried put the leather with the fish.

I have rescaped my tank but I replaced my sand bed at the same time as it was my main reason for a complete aquascape.

In my 15g I have rescaped but my main rocks stayed in place as I don't put the rocks on the sand but rather on cut eggcrate which lays on the glass. I worked my aquascape around those.

Definitely try not to disturb the sand too much and vacuum up as much as you can. A good waterchange will help but ensure parameters match so there are no issues.

Keeping seachem prime on hand is always a good idea.

I believe @seabass has reaquascaped before. He may have some advice to give as well.

Thanks for your response. I might put fish and coral all in one container and bag the leather? 

3 minutes ago, samnaz said:

How long has the tank been running? How often do you vacuum or stir the sandbed, if ever?

The main concern would be disturbing the sand bed. There can be lots of nasty possibly dead stuff underneath rocks in the sand. When I adjust or move a rock in my tank it always kicks up the sand bed causing a detritus and dust storm, even just moving a rock over 1 inch kicks stuff up. I've never done a full rescape but I'm betting it will make the water super nasty, no matter how careful you are. I'd say do a larger water change after you're done, 50% at least.

By the time I do the rescape will be about 3 months old. The big issue is current aquascape allows a lot of dead spots aswell which I want to eliminate