Innovative Marine Aquariums

Are reefers Cliquy?

Pjanssen

12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks for the recommendation! :blush: I have immense respect for anyone that tries to wade through one of my threads from one end to the other.

It's ironic that I wasn't following this thread, but since @Pjanssen mentioned me, I saw it in my notifications so I knew to come here and read the thread. I'd love to read every new thread but I rarely can. Usually I'm in one of three modes:

1. On vacation, reading every new thread, caught up on all the threads I follow. This happens once or twice a year :wacko:

2. "Normal" mode, which means I barely have time to do water changes, and I'm usually a little slow in responding to comments in my own threads. At most I try to catch up with the threads I follow my liking posts. That way the poster at least know I'm paying attention.

3. "Desired" mode, in which I keep up with, and comment, with the threads that I follow.

I'm not picky about threads that I follow, and I follow every thread I ever comment in. Usually I follow a thread because:

1. Somebody that I'm not already following comments in one of my threads. I try to always visit the tank threads of anyone that comments in my threads, I think that's just common courtesy. But it does help a lot if there's a link to the thread in the signature.

2. Because I get mentioned in a thread (like this one). Again, responding is courteous.

3. I follow many of the TOTM threads, and many of the threads that get a lot of posts, but only if I think there's something of interest to me about the thread. But the bar is set pretty low...do I like the tank, do I like the comments, is there interesting equipment/fish/corals/techniques, etc..

4. If I'm searching for information and that leads me to a thread that's interesting, I'll follow it.

5. Somebody PM's me a with a question. I always ask if they have a tank thread and encourage them to start one. And of course I try to follow and comment.

6. If I see a beginner/new member thread, I try to comment and follow. Unfortunately, I usually only have time for this when I'm in Mode #1 (vacation). :)

If you look at my tank thread for my very first tank, the 4g TOTM tank, I made multiple posts for about a week before anyone ever commented in my thread. I'm always grateful to @tess&ellie for taking the time to give me a little feedback which encouraged me to keep posting. Even so, 90% of the posts in the first month were my own. But there were a couple reefers like @gena, @kylhcky, @cindyp, @ninjamyst, and @DaveFason that commented in that first month. I followed their threads and thanks to their willingness to follow and comment on my tank, I make a special point to keep up with them, just like other old friends like @stellablue and too many others to mention. Btw, @stellablue struggles to keep up sometimes just like me. I can tell when she's caught up in my threads because I get dozens of likes in my notifications :D

My point is that we make friends with each other by reaching out to each other. But we "click" more with some than with others, and of course things change over time. For example, @cindyp is a big-time professional author now and is a little too busy to keep up with N-R. So I guess to that extent, things can be sort of "clique-y", but on the whole I've found N-R to be an amazingly open forum in which the vast majority of members are remarkably willing to take the time to not only answer questions, but to pay attention to what others are doing and offer encouragement.

Now that I've preached this sermon, I'm all re-energized to go visit lots of threads and comment! But first I need to respond to the comments in my own thread. Just as soon as I put in the new microwave over the stove that replaces the one that broke yesterday. Oh dear... :lol:

Teeny always has great things to say! Maybe thats why everybody follows him.

There have been a lot of great things said here. What started out as post out of pure boredom on a lame Sunday evening has really turned into some productive conversation. What I've concluded is that yes, we can be cliquey, but anyone is welcome to join the clique simply by contributing to the conversation. I think we are a really good bunch :grouphug:

• Like 11

NR is a great forum. While some threads seem "cliquey" it is only because they can be more inviting. Some to burn time, some for good reads, some for good pictures and others to just putz around. 

I personally have so many things going on the forum, emails, website and inquires from other forums that I do not have the time to look over threads I would like. Normally you will see a ton of posts in different threads by me EARLY mornings when my dogs wake me up before 5AM. I try follow more people that use NanoBox products as I think it is important to stay in touch with them. I do keep up actively with other threads but not as much as I like. 

Nano-Reef is incredible. R2R can be fun too but seems to be a ton of bickering about fake photos. Enjoy all platforms for what they are worth! 

-D

• Like 9

Whether this has been said or not as I read the first two pages and then skipped to the end....but, what frustrates me about forums is that I have in the past had build threads, but tend to tail off over time such that I've now given up on them for reasons like lack of time and lack of desire. Plus, I don't see myself as a master reefer so..who wants to see my mess anyway? But, based on a lot of feedback in this thread, that in turn means when I want to pop in and get some advice from fellow reefers...it's hard because if not part of the in crowd your threads/comments largely go ignored. This happens on ALL forums I'm a part of, not just here, btw. 

I have been around off/on for a long time but don't contribute that much nor make myself a constant presence, so it's clear that longevity of membership really doesn't play a part in how much traffic you can generate on your own topics/threads. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KJoFan said:

Whether this has been said or not as I read the first two pages and then skipped to the end....but, what frustrates me about forums is that I have in the past had build threads, but tend to tail off over time such that I've now given up on them for reasons like lack of time and lack of desire. Plus, I don't see myself as a master reefer so..who wants to see my mess anyway? But, based on a lot of feedback in this thread, that in turn means when I want to pop in and get some advice from fellow reefers...it's hard because if not part of the in crowd your threads/comments largely go ignored. This happens on ALL forums I'm a part of, not just here, btw. 

I have been around off/on for a long time but don't contribute that much nor make myself a constant presence, so it's clear that longevity of membership really doesn't play a part in how much traffic you can generate on your own topics/threads. 

I understand your point completely, and I'm sorry that you have felt "left out of the "clique"". But I find that are there are a lot of reefers on here that would be happy to look at your mess and try to help you with what ever issue you are having, and lots of others who want to learn from your trials and errors. It is true though that the more you respond in other threads, including quips about your dog, cat, kid, what you made for dinner etc...then the more connected you become. Most of us don't really know each there at all, but in this almost virtual world we can all be friends if we just show a little interest. 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I understand your point completely, and I'm sorry that you have felt "left out of the "clique"". But I find that are there are a lot of reefers on here that would be happy to look at your mess and try to help you with what ever issue you are having, and lots of others who want to learn from your trials and errors. It is true though that the more you respond in other threads, including quips about your dog, cat, kid, what you made for dinner etc...then the more connected you become. Most of us don't really know each there at all, but in this almost virtual world we can all be friends if we just show a little interest. 

Ha, well to clarify I don't have a mess currently per se. I just overall meant I don't feel I have show off/brag worthy tanks so have stopped sharing them on forums mostly. But, I get others' and your point of, if you make yourself known, you'll be known and become part of the group, cliquey or otherwise. :grouphug:

It just takes so much effort to participate! :lol:

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, KJoFan said:

Ha, well to clarify I don't have a mess currently per se. I just overall meant I don't feel I have show off/brag worthy tanks so have stopped sharing them on forums mostly. But, I get others' and your point of, if you make yourself known, you'll be known and become part of the group, cliquey or otherwise. :grouphug:

Hey, mine looks like a glorified frag tank sometimes, with spots all over the glass and cheap paper for a background!  Still fun to share my little tanky's adventures though. :)

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, KJoFan said:

Amen to that! And of course you get back what you put in, just like most things in life.

For me though, the primary reason for keeping a tank thread is not to show off anything at all. I certainly never expected either of my tanks to get TOTM especially with so many other deserving tanks here. My main reason for keeping the thread is to document what's going on with my tank. Over the years I've found my own threads to be some of the most useful tools in managing my tank and in troubleshooting problems. It's always interesting to see how things have changed. And I have to admit, a lot of times I end up looking at earlier pictures of the tank or of frags and thinking "Oh crap, things don't look nearly as good as they used to, what's going on???"

But I'll be the first to admit I really do like hearing from other people about what the like (or don't like) about the tank. It's very encouraging, and it's a hugely powerful feedback tool when things are going badly. Every time I've had a tank disaster, the positive comments from N-R peeps really helped encouraged me to keep going.

• Like 10
1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

Amen to that! And of course you get back what you put in, just like most things in life.

For me though, the primary reason for keeping a tank thread is not to show off anything at all. I certainly never expected either of my tanks to get TOTM especially with so many other deserving tanks here. My main reason for keeping the thread is to document what's going on with my tank. Over the years I've found my own threads to be some of the most useful tools in managing my tank and in troubleshooting problems. It's always interesting to see how things have changed. And I have to admit, a lot of times I end up looking at earlier pictures of the tank or of frags and thinking "Oh crap, things don't look nearly as good as they used to, what's going on???"

But I'll be the first to admit I really do like hearing from other people about what the like (or don't like) about the tank. It's very encouraging, and it's a hugely powerful feedback tool when things are going badly. Every time I've had a tank disaster, the positive comments from N-R peeps really helped encouraged me to keep going.

Showing off is exactly my reason!! :lol:

• Like 7
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

When you have inhabitants like the Creep and the Hulk, you definitely should! :lol:

• Like 3
4 hours ago, KJoFan said:

I get what you're saying. Been on many forums where ppl get drowned out by the "in crowd"

Very reminiscent of high school popularity contest.lol.

For myself, I don't care about popularity or the it crowd. I'll chat with anyone about reefs, freshwater, cats, dogs, etc.

I interact with anyone because we all have a common interest here. 

Sometimes I may interact with someone a bit more only because they are on here more often than another but for no other reason than they posted a topic.

i have never 

Intentionally ignored anyone besides @derrick1980...that was to rebuild my patience. 

Doing a journal can be helpful to others, they can learn from your experiences be they good or bad ones. 

People can also offer constructive advice if you need help. 

You don't need to have a show tank to show it off?

• Like 6
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That's why I finally started my own journals.

I was so engrossed in reading so much that I never started one.

I figured not only is it a good way for me to identify changes, keep up with what I have done in the tank over time, how it's grown, but others can also learn from the trials we have gone through and what we did to over come them.

I have 2 tanks. There is a different experience with both of them and I really see it after writing the journals.

I also think it's a great at to get constructive critism. There's nothing wrong in getting people's opinion. Opinions can help with improvement.

• Like 5
cfaye@Delaware

Before I joined I had been reading here for a few weeks, I notice nothing different than any other website with forums set up like this, only difference is this place is huge, I look at how many members you have and how often new ones  come in and how long people have been members. Now people will get tired of answering the same questions over and over, not here. It does say here search thru forums your answer might be there, if you still need help post. You can only read but so much, then you try, that's where everybody on this website comes in, the info, I have no words, I wish I could put everything in a book, it is history making. When I first posted in beginners, I call them famous, they are on the web, and also do great things here, they posted in my thread, I was honored, a lot of long time members posted, I again was honored, there is I think no way you can answer everything but the info is here it is out there. I see no cliquy, it is just the way social media is, it is what it is......A journal is like a diary, the diary of your tank the good and bad, and by writing one who knows you maybe able to help someone. I think scientist lurk on here because you are doing the impossible, to do this in such a small space. Show off your tanks the good and bad, to give the world a chance to see what can be done. Cliquy no, instruction manual yes......only bad things happen fast, take it slow......happy reefing !!!!

• Like 6
8 hours ago, KJoFan said:

Sometimes this is true. But like a good soap opera you can stay away for however long you like and come back and get got up very quickly :lol::lol:

7 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

:lol:

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

That's why I finally started my own journals.

I was so engrossed in reading so much that I never started one.

I figured not only is it a good way for me to identify changes, keep up with what I have done in the tank over time, how it's grown, but others can also learn from the trials we have gone through and what we did to over come them.

It's about damn time!

• Like 5
22 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I have to admit, one of things I enjoy is going back to look at old photos/threads of my former tanks. Though, there is that depressing part where you recall a coral or fish you killed along the way. :unsure: 

Honestly, I think the most successful tank threads on many forums are the ones where the OP has a great camera to take great pics. Everyone wants to see pictures, but us wielding only cellphones have a bit of a struggle to truly depict our tanks. This isn't an excuse, just opinion on my part. I could post more than my fair share of dog pictures though! :D

So, that said I will seriously take into consideration posting up a couple build/tank threads one of these days. :)

20 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I get what you're saying. Been on many forums where ppl get drowned out by the "in crowd"

Very reminiscent of high school popularity contest.lol.

Yes, forums are indeed like a popularity contest..as is probably the case any time people gather unfortunately.

Sadly, of the reefing forums I visit this is the only one I can't access at work. :o

• Like 1

You always have some people who suffer from "High Post count Douchbaggery".  They are the ones in any forum who have been there since the start, got to know each other early, and then feel special when they sort of ignore or exclude others.  They like to take over threads and post all sorts of inane historical stuff they all get yuchs over.  Don't see much of it here, but some other reef forums are absolutely riddled with it.....

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

"High Post count Douchbaggery"

You're too new to remember members like @Kraylen.  Those were the days.  Did you know there's a club for people with more than 15,000 posts?  It's pretty great!

truestory.jpg.5aabad3f458735c7036c14982234a8d3.jpg

:lol: I hope you know that I'm just joking.

#16000+posts

• Like 6
RayWhisperer

I'll see how many posts I have when I post this. It's gotta be around 15,000-16,000. However, most of my posts are meaningless bsing in the lounge. 

Edit; Oooohhhhh, almost 17,000. 

• Like 4