SaltCritters.com

Are reefers Cliquy?

Pjanssen

I think what really turns people away from people's threads is a dearth of cute hedgehog pictures. :P

In all seriousness, it does seem to be the ones who make an effort to comment on people's threads, help others, and share pics of stuff beyond reef life that seem to garner more commentary.  I made a concerted effort to go round commenting on people's threads when I came back to the forum and started my own tank thread so that people would come and comment on mine.  Nowadays if I've had a busy few days, all I might have time for is reading/commenting on threads of people I know lol.  But if I see a newer thread without many comments on it, I usually try to throw one in so the person doesn't feel ignored. :)

• Like 9
mitten_reef
45 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'd have a signature with my link, I have no idea how to do it.lol. 

Go to your "Clown79" drop menu > Account Settings > Signatures.  Then copy and paste your tank thread address and put it there. I just leave it as a basic web address link for my two "main" threads.

But I guess you can get fancy with image and such, or add description and shorten it as link like how @stellablue does it. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Most are, I guess that's just life.

someone posted earlier something about the vets, or high post count (I can't remember) getting more replies. That's not always the case, though. Me, for example. I've been here a long ass time, outside of the lounge, most folks don't converse with me unless it's in one of their threads I responded in. Hell, I've got a thread now, I don't think anyone's replied in. It's just the interwebs, though. You gotta take everything with a grain of salt.

As for what threads I respond in. Well, honestly, if the title strikes an interest in me, I might reply. 

I agree with Ray, and also with others suggesting that they check the threads of folks they know first.

I've been a part of the boards for a long, long time and have seen many come and go (many of which I miss). At one time my threads had a lot of action, and yet my latest build gets responses from the same 4 to 5 people, if I get a response at all. I get a couple 'likes' here and there for the most part. I don't take it any which way! I post not only to get responses, but also for my own records and enjoyment. I've run into some pretty nasty reefing issues in the past, and documented them as best as I could for the sake of everyone on this board, as well as myself.

Some reefers *@metrokat cough-cough* may have a cult following (along with a few others) but I think that following is well deserved, earned through constant interaction on the forum, and incredible reefing skills. It takes a lot to document every up and down you experience with your reef, let alone post about it on a very regular basis.

I can understand that a low response rate for newer folks can become discouraging, especially when they are asking questions, but I think you'll be surprised with how warm this community can really be once you've been around for a little bit. Its one of my favorite places on the internet, and pretty well the only reefing forum I spend any amount of time on.

Love this place :wub: 

• Like 10
mitten_reef
14 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

I agree with Ray, and also with others suggesting that they check the threads of folks they know first.

I've been a part of the boards for a long, long time and have seen many come and go (many of which I miss). At one time my threads had a lot of action, and yet my latest build gets responses from the same 4 to 5 people, if I get a response at all. I get a couple 'likes' here and there for the most part. I don't take it any which way! I post not only to get responses, but also for my own records and enjoyment. I've run into some pretty nasty reefing issues in the past, and documented them as best as I could for the sake of everyone on this board, as well as myself.

Some reefers *Kat cough-cough* may have a cult following (along with a few others) but I think that following is well deserved, earned through constant interaction on the forum, and incredible reefing skills. It takes a lot to document every up and down you experience with your reef, let alone post about it on a very regular basis.

I can understand that a low response rate for newer folks can become discouraging, especially when they are asking questions, but I think you'll be surprised with how warm this community can really be once you've been around for a little bit. Its one of my favorite places on the internet, and pretty well the only reefing forum I spend any amount of time on.

Love this place <3

How's the baby status? Just had mine on 7/1, and I can tell you, the time to spend on the tank dropped like 95%. Good thing your 'new' tank is just in the assembling equipment stage (those neon pipes!). If you current tank is "nice and steady", it should be able to ride out your first few weeks on minimal (but regular) care. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

How's the baby status? Just had mine on 7/1, and I can tell you, the time to spend on the tank dropped like 95%. Good thing your 'new' tank is just in the assembling equipment stage (those neon pipes!). If you current tank is "nice and steady", it should be able to ride out your first few weeks on minimal (but regular) care. 

Baby #2 is due any day now; wifey started having contractions last night, so fingers crossed it is today or tomorrow! Luckily I managed to get my auto doser dialed in already, so I can try to fire off a weekly 5 gal water change once everyone is in bed for the night. Threw an auto feeder on there as well. Haha, I am expecting to essentially not look at the tank for a couple weeks. My guess is the first time I have a peek at it will be when my reservoir runs dry and my ATO starts beeping at me :P

• Like 5
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

Go to your "Clown79" drop menu > Account Settings > Signatures.  Then copy and paste your tank thread address and put it there. I just leave it as a basic web address link for my two "main" threads.

But I guess you can get fancy with image and such, or add description and shorten it as link like how @stellablue does it. 

Thank You.

I'm not tech savvy. ?

• Like 1

Based on how much I post, It's surprising how few threads I actually read.  I wish I had time to visit more journals.

I primarily respond to threads that I've already replied to, then threads with two or less replies in the General or Beginners forums.  If a thread doesn't have any replies, I usually read it and make an effort to reply (as long as it's something I know a little about).  But @Clown79 does her best to beat me to it. ;)

Some members PM or tag me to get me to reply.  I don't mind that at all.  I prefer answering questions in public threads (versus in a PM, simply because others are likely to have a similar question.

It seems like I see a lot of the same people in the threads that I follow.  I'm not sure if this is a clique; I think it's probably more that these people are some of the more active posters.  However, like others have stated, people do tend to converse more with people they know.

• Like 8

I love looking at as many of the experienced long-timers threads as I can even if I'm not officially "following" them and I've really learned a lot from them. I generally have only made comments about how amazing something looks or asked a question about something I'd like more information on. But more often than not, I'm just reading them and soaking it all up.  I really do appreciate the information, experiences, and problem solving y'all are putting out there so please keep it up.  

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Huh, interesting observation. 

Good to know I'm not scaring people away with all the real life observations that tend to pop up in my tank thread. :lol:

Ha same here 

• Like 4
RayWhisperer

Ok. To all who replied to my post. I'm sorry, there was a mixup in translation. I meant threads in general, apparently, you all meant tank threads. My mistake. Anyone who knows me, knows I don't do tank threads. In the words of sweet brown, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Ok. To all who replied to my post. I'm sorry, there was a mixup in translation. I meant threads in general, apparently, you all meant tank threads. My mistake. Anyone who knows me, knows I don't do tank threads. In the words of sweet brown, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

<_< Fine, be that way!! 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Based on how much I post, It's surprising how few threads I actually read.  I wish I had time to visit more journals.

I primarily respond to threads that I've already replied to, then threads with two or less replies in the General or Beginners forums.  If a thread doesn't have any replies, I usually read it and make an effort to reply (as long as it's something I know a little about).  But @Clown79 does her best to beat me to it. ;)

Some members PM or tag me to get me to reply.  I don't mind that at all.  I prefer answering questions in public threads (versus in a PM, simply because others are likely to have a similar question.

It seems like I see a lot of the same people in the threads that I follow.  I'm not sure if this is a clique; I think it's probably more that these people are some of the more active posters.  However, like others have stated, people do tend to converse more with people they know.

@seabass, I try not to?

I think my schedule just allows me to come here at various times of the day so I end up getting there first.

Personally I'm not cliquey. 

I try to respond to threads that have fewer responses or to new comers first, possible emergency threads. Then I go through the rest. 

There's a lot on here?

I'd love to read more journals but some ppl have 300+responses so I haven't had the opportunity to go through them yet .

I myself have wondered why some journals have 300 responses and others don't. Or why there are so many views to some with no responses. 

• Like 3

I post on people's questions when I have time and nothing else is going on.  I don't even post in my own threads.  The only one I am somewhat active in is currently discussing wood and unfinished projects.  Been that way for at least 20 something pages. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Most are, I guess that's just life.

someone posted earlier something about the vets, or high post count (I can't remember) getting more replies. That's not always the case, though. Me, for example. I've been here a long ass time, outside of the lounge, most folks don't converse with me unless it's in one of their threads I responded in. Hell, I've got a thread now, I don't think anyone's replied in. It's just the interwebs, though. You gotta take everything with a grain of salt.

As for what threads I respond in. Well, honestly, if the title strikes an interest in me, I might reply. 

YOU HAVE A THREAD? :angry:

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Wow, picking @stellablue and @metrokat to read from the beginning is truly ambitious. Next you gotta do @teenyreef and @urbaneks.

I like your thread. You could always update the first page with a current FTS if you wanted to.

come on in lounge rats-all are welcome here

Thanks for the recommendation! :blush: I have immense respect for anyone that tries to wade through one of my threads from one end to the other.

It's ironic that I wasn't following this thread, but since @Pjanssen mentioned me, I saw it in my notifications so I knew to come here and read the thread. I'd love to read every new thread but I rarely can. Usually I'm in one of three modes:

1. On vacation, reading every new thread, caught up on all the threads I follow. This happens once or twice a year :wacko:

2. "Normal" mode, which means I barely have time to do water changes, and I'm usually a little slow in responding to comments in my own threads. At most I try to catch up with the threads I follow my liking posts. That way the poster at least know I'm paying attention.

3. "Desired" mode, in which I keep up with, and comment, with the threads that I follow.

I'm not picky about threads that I follow, and I follow every thread I ever comment in. Usually I follow a thread because:

1. Somebody that I'm not already following comments in one of my threads. I try to always visit the tank threads of anyone that comments in my threads, I think that's just common courtesy. But it does help a lot if there's a link to the thread in the signature.

2. Because I get mentioned in a thread (like this one). Again, responding is courteous.

3. I follow many of the TOTM threads, and many of the threads that get a lot of posts, but only if I think there's something of interest to me about the thread. But the bar is set pretty low...do I like the tank, do I like the comments, is there interesting equipment/fish/corals/techniques, etc..

4. If I'm searching for information and that leads me to a thread that's interesting, I'll follow it.

5. Somebody PM's me a with a question. I always ask if they have a tank thread and encourage them to start one. And of course I try to follow and comment.

6. If I see a beginner/new member thread, I try to comment and follow. Unfortunately, I usually only have time for this when I'm in Mode #1 (vacation). :)

If you look at my tank thread for my very first tank, the 4g TOTM tank, I made multiple posts for about a week before anyone ever commented in my thread. I'm always grateful to @tess&ellie for taking the time to give me a little feedback which encouraged me to keep posting. Even so, 90% of the posts in the first month were my own. But there were a couple reefers like @gena, @kylhcky, @cindyp, @ninjamyst, and @DaveFason that commented in that first month. I followed their threads and thanks to their willingness to follow and comment on my tank, I make a special point to keep up with them, just like other old friends like @stellablue and too many others to mention. Btw, @stellablue struggles to keep up sometimes just like me. I can tell when she's caught up in my threads because I get dozens of likes in my notifications :D

My point is that we make friends with each other by reaching out to each other. But we "click" more with some than with others, and of course things change over time. For example, @cindyp is a big-time professional author now and is a little too busy to keep up with N-R. So I guess to that extent, things can be sort of "clique-y", but on the whole I've found N-R to be an amazingly open forum in which the vast majority of members are remarkably willing to take the time to not only answer questions, but to pay attention to what others are doing and offer encouragement.

Now that I've preached this sermon, I'm all re-energized to go visit lots of threads and comment! But first I need to respond to the comments in my own thread. Just as soon as I put in the new microwave over the stove that replaces the one that broke yesterday. Oh dear... :lol:

• Like 14
5 hours ago, stellablue said:

Ha same here 

Speaking of non-tank life adventures...by the way there are new puppy pictures in my 10g thread now!

Shameless self-plug :lol:

• Like 12
46 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks for the recommendation! :blush: I have immense respect for anyone that tries to wade through one of my threads from one end to the other.

It's ironic that I wasn't following this thread, but since @Pjanssen mentioned me, I saw it in my notifications so I knew to come here and read the thread. I'd love to read every new thread but I rarely can. Usually I'm in one of three modes:

1. On vacation, reading every new thread, caught up on all the threads I follow. This happens once or twice a year :wacko:

2. "Normal" mode, which means I barely have time to do water changes, and I'm usually a little slow in responding to comments in my own threads. At most I try to catch up with the threads I follow my liking posts. That way the poster at least know I'm paying attention.

3. "Desired" mode, in which I keep up with, and comment, with the threads that I follow.

I'm not picky about threads that I follow, and I follow every thread I ever comment in. Usually I follow a thread because:

1. Somebody that I'm not already following comments in one of my threads. I try to always visit the tank threads of anyone that comments in my threads, I think that's just common courtesy. But it does help a lot if there's a link to the thread in the signature.

2. Because I get mentioned in a thread (like this one). Again, responding is courteous.

3. I follow many of the TOTM threads, and many of the threads that get a lot of posts, but only if I think there's something of interest to me about the thread. But the bar is set pretty low...do I like the tank, do I like the comments, is there interesting equipment/fish/corals/techniques, etc..

4. If I'm searching for information and that leads me to a thread that's interesting, I'll follow it.

5. Somebody PM's me a with a question. I always ask if they have a tank thread and encourage them to start one. And of course I try to follow and comment.

6. If I see a beginner/new member thread, I try to comment and follow. Unfortunately, I usually only have time for this when I'm in Mode #1 (vacation). :)

If you look at my tank thread for my very first tank, the 4g TOTM tank, I made multiple posts for about a week before anyone ever commented in my thread. I'm always grateful to @tess&ellie for taking the time to give me a little feedback which encouraged me to keep posting. Even so, 90% of the posts in the first month were my own. But there were a couple reefers like @gena, @kylhcky, @cindyp, @ninjamyst, and @DaveFason that commented in that first month. I followed their threads and thanks to their willingness to follow and comment on my tank, I make a special point to keep up with them, just like other old friends like @stellablue and too many others to mention. Btw, @stellablue struggles to keep up sometimes just like me. I can tell when she's caught up in my threads because I get dozens of likes in my notifications :D

My point is that we make friends with each other by reaching out to each other. But we "click" more with some than with others, and of course things change over time. For example, @cindyp is a big-time professional author now and is a little too busy to keep up with N-R. So I guess to that extent, things can be sort of "clique-y", but on the whole I've found N-R to be an amazingly open forum in which the vast majority of members are remarkably willing to take the time to not only answer questions, but to pay attention to what others are doing and offer encouragement.

Now that I've preached this sermon, I'm all re-energized to go visit lots of threads and comment! But first I need to respond to the comments in my own thread. Just as soon as I put in the new microwave over the stove that replaces the one that broke yesterday. Oh dear... :lol:

well said

14 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Speaking of non-tank life adventures...by the way there are new puppy pictures in my 10g thread now!

oooh. on my way

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

more. must have more.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Yes, its get clicky aroud here, but I don't think I've seen anyone turn anyone away for advice on this board since Derrick1980.  That being said, I just went to my local reef society meeting today and the old timers were cliquey, but i met some young heads, that were cool, and scored about $250 in free SPS. 

Derrick. <insert Krusty the clown shudder here>

I would love to reply to a lot more things. I just don't have that much experience. This forum is one of the best places for advice I've found, especially when you are just starting out. Although, I think the layout could be a little better, particularly with links and beginner articles, guides etc. Maybe because I don't pay?

I did a paper in college on online relationships and socialization. I would post it if I had any idea where it was. Gist of it was: if you want everyone to respond to you, pretend to be female. I recall the stats on an experiment where I posted the exact same thing, as both a male and a female to be extremely interesting. Even when the respondant was female. Granted, it was baseline level stuff and extremely general, in terms of subject matter. But, yeah, people are clicky. Lol.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

omgomgomg 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

This is so spot on! I enjoyed reading it and feel the same way about a lot of what you mentioned. I for sure have struggled lately to keep up. I always try to go into the beginner's section to see if I can help out since so many were so helpful to me when I first started out. I haven't had much time to do that over the past few months and I want to make a point to get back to it. 

• Like 3