Cultivated Reef

Does my clown have an eye problem?

tristn_official

tristn_official

Been settling in a pair of pink skunk clowns for a couple of weeks now. I've noticed the larger of the two has a much darker left eye than it's right. It also always swims with its left side against the glass. I noticed when cleaning the tank today it doesnt so much as flinch if my hand is up level with it against the glass. Where as the smaller fish responds and backs away like you would expect. Dont know if it's blind in one eye or going blind. Have attached best photo I can but hard to see! 

_20170723_163931.JPG

BustytheSnowMaam

Would you say it has popeye?  This is an image I pulled from another site- does it look like this (left eye from our perspective)?

popeye.jpg

tristn_official

It's not raised at all. Just black around the edges, much darker than the other eye. It's just that and its behaviour really. I may be worrying over nothing, just not sure. 

BustytheSnowMaam

It may be something natural (I've had an ocellaris get dark melanin-like pigment all over its body, then the pigmentation disappeared over time), or it could be an injury.  You could remove it and put it in a quarantine tank or bucket with some Epsom salt (1 tbsp per 5 gallons)- this is what one does for popeye and doing this will not harm the clown either way.  Put a piece of PVC pipe in the bucket to give the fish a hidey spot.  Are the two clowns fighting for dominance?  

You could also add a broad-spectrum antibiotic like tetracycline to the quarantine tank in case bacteria have invaded the injury.  Don't put the antibiotic in the main tank, however, because you'll kill off the natural biological filtration on the live rock.  

tristn_official

I take that back just had a closer look I think the eye is indeed raised! Is it easy to cure? Is this Epsom salt an aquarium product I've not heard of it before. 

BustytheSnowMaam

Nope, you can buy it for a couple of dollars at the grocery store, usually by the toothpaste and whatnot.  Just make sure to get the plain kind, not the lavender-scented or whatever, 'cause then the fish will want chamomile tea to go with it.  :P

• Like 1