Pod Your Reef

Sharbuckles 40 - Mushroom Trippin

Sharbuckle

7 hours ago, Griever said:

Are all your gorgs photosynthetic? Any tips for a good source? 

They are all photo indeed. Ive just been collecting around town locally. However. Live-plants.com seems to be a good spot to order from. 

Hmm. My alveopora doesnt seem to want to open lately. It was one of the happiest corals up until a few weeks ago. What could cause this? 

05474C8F-CAC2-48F7-8ABB-0A69A3F44A47.jpeg

Sharbuckle

Wow. This 40g was started just about 11 months ago. Cannot believe its almost a year old. I truly miss my 65g but am so happy with the way this tank has matured. Made a short video today. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 10:35 PM, Sharbuckle said:

Wow. This 40g was started just about 11 months ago. Cannot believe its almost a year old. I truly miss my 65g but am so happy with the way this tank has matured. Made a short video today. 

I love your tank Sharbuckle.  I plan to nominate it for totm next month because I really think it is so beautiful, peaceful and soothing.  You have done a great job of choosing interesting fish and coral.  Great job!

• Like 2
Sharbuckle
On 5/11/2018 at 7:39 AM, vlangel said:

I love your tank Sharbuckle.  I plan to nominate it for totm next month because I really think it is so beautiful, peaceful and soothing.  You have done a great job of choosing interesting fish and coral.  Great job!

Thank you so much for the positive words and constant source of inspiration. 

Quick growth comparison shot. 9 months ago and today. What awesome growth on this gorgonian! 

11B4A778-00E7-43BD-9032-DE73CB2EDEA4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
Sharbuckle
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

what are you feeding your gorgs? Everything looks great.

Dont know if I can reveal my secret... however, the answer is.....

Nothing!

😂

I tried adding phyo for a while but I always forgot and the bottle would expire. 

• Haha 2
Sharbuckle

Update time.

nudibranch are still present in the tank, without the neon wrasse their are no predators. Tried adding a yellow wrasse but the other fish beat the poor thing up. Slowly removing, dipping, and QT’ing my zoas in the 75g low boy sump. 

Small persistant cyano problem as well. Added red slime remover today, half dose. Has worked well in the past.

my gold torch lost a few heads and the skeleton is bleaching. My only suspect is a calcium issue, my halimeda has grown quite large in my refugium and I suspect its eating up a lot of calcium. 

Other than that everything seems to be doing well. 

Tank looks great!  Your gorgs are so fluffy! :wub: Sorry about the lionfish.

On 4/26/2018 at 3:57 PM, Griever said:

Are all your gorgs photosynthetic? Any tips for a good source? 

You can try Gulf Coast Ecosystems (live-plants.com) or KP Aquatics, GCE sends nice big healthy specimens.  I have yet to order from KPA but have heard very good things about them.  I believe @Felicia has some gorgs from them?  Sometimes LiveAquaria has some too, I know they carry Grube's gorgonian and I've gotten a pretty purple one similar species to the Grube's before from them.

Sharbuckle
13 minutes ago, Smackers4 said:

Great tank!!

Thanks 🙂 

20 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Tank looks great!  Your gorgs are so fluffy! :wub: Sorry about the lionfish.

You can try Gulf Coast Ecosystems (live-plants.com) or KP Aquatics, GCE sends nice big healthy specimens.  I have yet to order from KPA but have heard very good things about them.  I believe @Felicia has some gorgs from them?  Sometimes LiveAquaria has some too, I know they carry Grube's gorgonian and I've gotten a pretty purple one similar species to the Grube's before from them.

Wish I could order from those places 😞 

• Like 1
Sharbuckle

11 days shy of a year old and ive experienced some losses this week. Found my emerald dead (not a molt). Also, no sign of my jawfish for four days now. His burrow has not been touched and he hasn’t been out for feeding time. Which he always is.

RIP crab and jawfish. 

• Sad 5
Christopher Marks

Sorry to hear @Sharbuckle, that sucks 😞 

Have you been able to test the water and check the basics? No temp or salinity swings? Sometimes issues like that creep up after being stable for so long.

:grouphug:

Sharbuckle
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Sorry to hear @Sharbuckle, that sucks 😞 

Have you been able to test the water and check the basics? No temp or salinity swings? Sometimes issues like that creep up after being stable for so long.

:grouphug:

Havent had time to check, day off on monday is set aside for testing. Fingers crossed. Will post results. 

• Like 2
Sharbuckle

Okay. Testing completed. Nothing seems to be shouting at me as far as why a fish and crab would die...: other than some slightly higher nitrates that is

Specific Gravity - 1.024

Temperature - 79

Phosphate - Undetected 

Calcium - 490

Magnesium - 1410

Alkalinity - 6.7

Nitrate - 10

Water change happening today either way. 

Any thoughts? 

Sharbuckle
3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hmm, hard to say beyond just a coincidence? 🤔 Hopefully smooth sailing here forward!

Fingers crossed. 

Also yellow fiji leather hasnt opened in almost 5 days.... hoping water change puts a bit of new life into the tank. 

Sharbuckle

Its official! The tank first got wet a year ago today! What a year it has been. So many ups and downs. 

Posting a bigger update later, for now. A quick snap of the tank! 

Happy birthday tank!

9BFF9576-DFA2-448F-B1DB-CA8DDEA77B02.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1