inTank Media Baskets

Sharbuckles 40 - Mushroom Trippin

Sharbuckle

Okay I’ll update a bit tonight. The display refugium is coming along very nicely! 

The macros I put in are flourishing under the little current USA led. 

Don’t know the name of the red one but the long blade caulerpa and it are growing wild. 

DE33B642-FEC1-4DA8-B30E-206642C32B3B.jpeg

1D6740E7-71E1-4D6E-A10C-EBD355A45293.jpeg

• Like 2

The fuge is now home to a very large Clarkii that I named Big Mama. I rescued her from a chain store that was closing down. She was stuck in the live rock tank for over a year and nobody wanted her. 

DECE9B7E-04C2-40F6-ADFA-F0009B45F600.png

Here’s a shot of the two tanks. 

A7780A1B-5F7F-45EB-B0DF-83C9E67408E3.jpeg

More updates tomorrow. 

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

The fuge is now home to a very large Clarkii that I named Big Mama. I rescued her from a chain store that was closing down. She was stuck in the live rock tank for over a year and nobody wanted her. 

DECE9B7E-04C2-40F6-ADFA-F0009B45F600.png

Here’s a shot of the two tanks. 

A7780A1B-5F7F-45EB-B0DF-83C9E67408E3.jpeg

More updates tomorrow. 

I love Big Mama :wub:

18 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

Nice rescue! How about your old female clown!? Thought she was in fuge

anyway to put your fuge against the short end of your breeder? Then it's a super long peninsula. 

So I actually left her in the 40 with one of the other clowns and got rid of two. She only ever let a small misbar clown into the bta with her so I kept that one.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Update time!

I took out my large floating frag racks and placed most of my Frags on the rocks and sandbed. A small rack remains until I sell the fee remaining frags. Very happy the tank looks cleaner. 

I finally added my ATO back onto the tank after four months. Not sure why I hadn’t hooked it up sooner. Using a 5g pail under the fuge as a reservoir. 

Macros in the fuge are growing like crazy and I’ve added a mangrove. 

My 75g frag tank project has turned into something different all together. I’m going to use the 75 as a sump for all my tanks and add a shallow acrylic tank as a mangrove biotope tank. As well as another small tank beside it for Frags. Tired of having frag racks in my display. This should be cool. 

I had a large rock that had some undesirable pale green palys overgrowing on it that I moved into my sump and rearranged the aquarium scape. Happy with results.

Also added a yellow wrasse and a leopard wrasse! Yay new fish. 

0381AFCB-D3AD-4D64-80AA-FA14E4101817.jpeg

BAA87D7E-8C7C-4724-8E0A-D38B3D2C489B.png

• Like 3

Trouble on the reef. My zoanthids seem to be receding at an alarming rate. I was battling nudis for a month and thought they were gone. Now cyano and brown film algae are taking hold. Wish me luck. 

• Sad 4
3 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Trouble on the reef. My zoanthids seem to be receding at an alarming rate. I was battling nudis for a month and thought they were gone. Now cyano and brown film algae are taking hold. Wish me luck. 

Hate to hear that. Sending good vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 minutes ago, themummra said:

Do you usually dip frags before introducing?

Usually yes. I was out of coral rx for a month and the one frag I added was apparently covered. I have over 70 types of zoanthids/palythoa and I’m afraid I’m losing the battle. 

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, vlangel said:

O no sharbunkle, your tank looked so good and I am sorry that it is being attacked by those nudies.  That is terrible!

Thanks Dawn. I’ve added a few wrasse to help combat and have been dipping quite aggressively. Doesn’t seem to be helping. Going to keep dipping and hope for the best. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Thanks Dawn. I’ve added a few wrasse to help combat and have been dipping quite aggressively. Doesn’t seem to be helping. Going to keep dipping and hope for the best. 

Wonder if Bayer dips might help?

5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Wonder if Bayer dips might help?

Maybe I’ll give it a shot. Coral RX usually works for these bastards. I’ve fought them before. Problem is I just have so many zoanthids. It’s hard to get them all without removing large portions of my scape. 

• Like 3

Cyano and other algae are really taking hold...

realized my skimmer has been unplugged for almost a week.

added some carbon to my canister.

doing large water change today. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Cyano and other algae are really taking hold...

realized my skimmer has been unplugged for almost a week.

added some carbon to my canister.

doing large water change today. 

Yep, an unplugged skimmer will do it.  I think you are taking the right steps to get back on track however.

28 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Yep, an unplugged skimmer will do it.  I think you are taking the right steps to get back on track however.

What a pain in the butt! Water change done. Fingers crossed. Some of my zoos are looking half decent today. A sign of an upswing hopefully. 

• Like 2

So cool on your display refugium setup!

You take a canister filter from the main tank, and outflow to your refugium, and then have a similar rate of flow going back to the display?

Would love to know sort of how you are doing that, and do you ever worry about one level getting too high if something gets plugged?

16 hours ago, benstatic said:

So cool on your display refugium setup!

You take a canister filter from the main tank, and outflow to your refugium, and then have a similar rate of flow going back to the display?

Would love to know sort of how you are doing that, and do you ever worry about one level getting too high if something gets plugged?

Yep. Just as you explained it. The fuge is sitting a few inches higher than the display. So I drilled the fuge and added in an elbow type drain. I clear the drain pipe every few days so there is no worry of flooding. It’s also a 2” pipe so it’s a large opening. It would take a lot to clog it up. 

Picked up ultralife red slime remover today. It’s a last resort but at this point I’ve got a yuge cyano outbreak.