ReefCleaners.org

Sharbuckles 40 - Mushroom Trippin

Sharbuckle

Hello fine folks of the internet,

My old thread was getting a bit too ridiculous having three builds all in one so I've decided to bring the 40 gallon peninsula to life in it's own thread. 

After I moved my 29g into my 65g and 15g. The 65g cracked and caused $8000 in damage and the 15g sprung a slow leak.

I was close to calling it quits but decided to get a 40g breeder. It's a size of tank i've wanted for a very long time and just went for it. Saw a reeeeeeally cool soft coral reef peninsula on YouTube and decided that is exactly what I wanted. Mostly soft corals and gorgonians. Also, I wanted to incorporate some macro algae in the display. Oh and one leptastrea frag that I had leftover from my 65g so it's not completely a softie reef I suppose. 

Anyway here's a quick breakdown of the equipment i'm using as well as Livestock and Coral selection.

Equipment

Standard 40g Breeder

Standard 20g long sump

Eshopps Eclipse-S Overflow

Tek 6 Bulb T5HO with ATI Bulbs

Tunze Nanostream 6040

Koralia Nano

Aqua Macro Flow Swing Arm (or something like that, it attaches to return line and moves the return flow side to side)

Eheim Jager 200W Heater

Tunze 9004 Skimmer

Syncra Sicce 2.0 Return Pump

Apex Jr. 

Other Stuff

Chemi Pure Blue

Filter Sock

Filter Floss

Aquavitro Fuel

Livestock

4 Clowns

4 Blue Streak Cardinals

1 Longnose Hawk

1 Royal Gramma

Cleaner Shrimp

Peppermint Shrimp

Emerald Crab

Porcelain Crab

Various Clean Up Crew

Coral

6 Gorgonians (various)

Fiji Yellow

2 x Toadstools

Clove Polyps

Alveopora

2 x Goniopora

Too many Zoanthids to list

Various leathers

Superman Mushrooms

Green Mushrooms

Leptastrea Frag

024.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 10

Added a pearly jawfish. Had one about 8 years ago. What an amazing fish. Hope it burrows somewhere in sight.

Next project.

Display refugium tied into the main display. 

Going to use my 29g and put it right beside the peninsula. 

A friend of mine has it setup in a way I think I like but I'd love to hear some feedback from the community. It is being fed by a canister filter. The fuge is about 5" higher than the display and drains directly into the display. Is this a good way to go or should I just tie it into the sump? I'd love to keep some non reef safe critters. Pipefish and what not.

I'm also in the process of setting up a frag tank which I would also like to tie into. Maybe I should just make a bigger sump and tie all three into it.

• Like 2

Here is where the display fuge will be. Do you think the Sicce Syncra 2 can handle returning warer to both a 40 and 29 if I split it off?

IMG_0032.JPG

• Like 1

My four clowns have been getting along great but over the past week the large female of my original pair is nonstop chasing the male. They have co existed for over 2 years but it seems the peace is over. I think I will be removing the Large female. She can live in the sump for a while and maybe live solo in the new fuge once its up and running. 

Drilled the 29g. All plumbed together. Now I just need to figure out how I am going to return water from the display into the fuge. 

20465161_10154981976694436_573700270_o.jpg

• Like 2

Forgot to really document it but I treated the tank with Fluconazole to get rid of some patches of Bryopsis on my frag rack. Within three days it completely dissipated. Absolutely incredible. 

• Like 2

Got a brand new API XP-L Canister filter for $40. Going to use it to pull water from the display into the fuge and the fuge with drain into the display. Cool thing about this filter is it has a wicked media basket. Once I move my rock and macro from the sump into the fuge and also my media i'm gonna have a ton of room in the sump. I think i'll probably add some reactors or perhaps something else. We shall see. 

In other news I bought a 75 gallon to use as a frag tank. Gotta find a way to tie it in to this system as well. 

23 minutes ago, themummra said:

Can you post a picture of your sump?

I am trying to plan out a 40g breeder right now. Stuck on sump vs hob

IMO sump beats HOB any day. My sump was poorly planned by the person I bought it from. Not nearly enough space. I'll take some pictures when I get home however.

I prefer a sump because it allows you to remove some of your equipment from the display as well as adding much more water volume. 

graftobny142
1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

IMO sump beats HOB any day. My sump was poorly planned by the person I bought it from. Not nearly enough space. I'll take some pictures when I get home however.

I prefer a sump because it allows you to remove some of your equipment from the display as well as adding much more water volume. 

Sumps do seem the best way to go, I am just overwhelmed with the options. How big/far apart to make the baffles, what skimmer, etc.

On 2017-08-01 at 5:55 PM, themummra said:

Sumps do seem the best way to go, I am just overwhelmed with the options. How big/far apart to make the baffles, what skimmer, etc.

Just plan ahead. How big is the skimmer you want? Do you want a refugium, how big is your heater and return pump? Will you want to add reactors or algae scrubbers. Once you have a plan you can start measuring . 

In other news. 

The display fuge is up and running. 

• Like 4
graftobny142
On 8/4/2017 at 5:11 PM, Sharbuckle said:

Just plan ahead. How big is the skimmer you want? Do you want a refugium, how big is your heater and return pump? Will you want to add reactors or algae scrubbers. Once you have a plan you can start measuring . 

System size will be ~65 gallons (40g breeder, 20g sump, 5g quick change bucket) so for heat I am getting a 200w Cobalt Neotherm.

SCA 301 seems like a popular skimmer for a 20g sump. I do want a refugium from the start, and room for a couple reactors in the future. 

Well! My fuge is up and running and working great (other than some micro bubbles i gotta fix)

I traded some zoanthid frag for live rock. 

Traded another zoanthid frag for a current usa led.

Moved my macros and rock from my current sump.

Voila!

Can't wait to see it grow in. 

Please excuse the awful picture. 

20732877_10155009508234436_690110121_n.jpg

• Like 3

Also separated the four clowns. The large female was beating up her original partner. So now the pairs have been split up. No more chasing. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, jstj0sh said:

Following along! I love your ideas and how you have the DT/Fuge setup. Nothing better than seeing people innovate the hobby ! 

Thanks so much :) 

I've always found it silly to hide refugiums in your sump. It's refreshing to be able to see macro algae and other critters thrive.  

• Like 3