ReefCleaners.org

Refugium for 40b display tank

Hdale85

I'm looking to build a refugium for my 40B display tank. Originally I was planning on just using the HOB and stuff that I bought already but honestly I don't like it all hanging on the back AND I've been reading up on the triton method and I think I'm just going to use that system as it's all laid out easy pz. 

So I'm planning on doing either a 20L or a 29G refugium. I'm going to use a refugium kit from ebay that comes with laser cut back acrylic/plexi. 

Something like this 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFUGIUM-KIT-for-30-x-12-x18-29-30-GAL-protein-skimmer-sump-aquarium/162176684502?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D3dd220c35f0e4477b03f45659fd1327f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D201546355558

The questions I have, do I need a full bubble trap with a refugium? It seems that kit has some sort of bubble trap, but generally the bubble traps I've seen use 3 pieces and not 2 like that. 

Secondly what size return pump do I need? It seems like you would want lower flow over the chaeto so it has time to absorb nutrients but everyone keep recommending something like a Mag-7 etc which have pretty high gph. 

This depends on your stand and protein skimmer, how tall the skimmer is, ideal water depth for the skimmer, plus what light you are planning on using to grow your macro algae, I would say 20L, I would sketch out how you are going to put everything under your tank in the stand.

I am getting ready to build my sump also, I am going to go to Lowes and have them cut the glass baffles for me

http://gmacreef.com/reef-aquarium-sump-tank-design/

ken

Yeah I ended up grabbing a 20L today at the Petco sale. 

I'm likely going to use the Kessel Tuna H80 refugium light. I'm not sure what skimmer yet, it's going to have to be a more budget one so going to have to look around. 

Yeah I may go the DIY route for the LED I've thought about it but it seems like you can get pretty decent lights for not a ton of money now. 

For the skimmer I think I'm gonna go with the Vertex Somatic 60s. Still debating on the return pump.