Pod Your Reef

Freshwater people?(I know this is a reef forum)

bennyd

Are there any freshwater people on here? I know this is a "Reef Forum" and all, but I don't really know of any "good" community for freshwater, I'm looking for a decent or cheap light fixture for a freshwater tank that will grow some low light requiring plants... I can't remember some of the names of the cheap Chinese fixtures, all I can remember from years back was Aqua Traders but they seem to be gone and I read nothing but horrible things about them...

Anyone help me out or at least point me in the proper direction? LOL

Thunder Goose

I'm biaquatic and I have a 120 planted tank but I have mid range lights (Edge LED from Marine Depot). I would recommend LEDs. I've used compact fluorescent fixtures before and they don't seem to last long (plus there are different pin types so replacement bulbs are more complicated than they should be). 

• Like 2

Thanks for the response, I was hoping to go the LED route, guess I should  have said that above... I just don't want to put a whole lot of money into this system, even though it's a 65g, it's basically for the kids glo-fish and whatever else I can find that will live with the glo-fish... I just wanted to add in some plants for more of a "less work" taking care of the thing. LOL, not that it gets rid of maintenance, but I'm sure having some live plants certainly helps. 

I know there were some decent chinese brand LED's I remember seeing quite a while back, but I can't remember the name.

fishfreak0114

Not sure about Chinese LED's, but I use a rapid led DIY solderless kit on my favorite planted tank.   It was affordable (in my opinion), easy to assemble, and it gets the job done!

I run a low light tank with a nicrew light on it. They are very affordable lights and has great reviews online.

Finnex  is a favoured one

Beamworks is another one

It really depends. 

If you plan on low light plants you can do affordable but for mid to high light tank the light gets costly