Innovative Marine Aquariums

Algae scrubber does it work?

lonewonderer

lonewonderer

Hello, I was thinking about an algae scrubber. Does anybody know if it really works on reducing phos and Nitrates? I have a 40 gallon reef tank with a 10 gallon diy sump. Does anybody here uses algae scrubber?

thanks,

Yep I run one on my RSR Nano 21 gal with 7 gal sump. I had to start dosing nirates as mine are not detectable and never have been since the AS took off (takes 2-3 weeks to really get going)

I feed veryheavy for my bio load, also feed reef energy A+B every day and reef roids and poly booster every second day. Nirates even dosing 0.5  Phos .022-0.028

• Like 1

Definitely works, although I don't use it for nutrient reduction. I used it to keep algea out of my display. It also allows me to feed really heavily, fish and corals.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, lonewonderer said:

Thank you guys. But from what i heard it consumes nitrates and phosphates. I'm I correct?

100% that's what I use it for and my levels stay at 0 nitrates unless I does and .025 on Phos as I said last post.

• Like 1
lonewonderer

Ok. I just finished my DIY algae scrubber. Is the light enough? i have 2pcs 5w red LED bulbs in there so a total of 10w. Would that work or i need to add a royal blue on it? I put it in the sump. light is on 16hrs a day. Please give me your thoughts about my build or if you can suggest how can i boost it so the algae will start to grow.

thanks guys!

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

Really depends on the size of the screen for the amount of light you have. You will also want a min of 35GPH per inch of screen length, I run 40 GPH per inch.

Also there is no way to boost it, just good light and proper water flow. You should start with 12hrs on/off for light or less and ramp that up after it takes hold. I started with 10hrs on and 14hrs off. It took about 3-4 weeks to really take off and grow, make sure to clean the screen once a week regarless of what is growing on there. And by clean I mean just scrap don't take it all off jsut the top layers.

• Like 1
lonewonderer

The screen i have is 3" x 7" then the bubbles comes from the bottom. So i need to up more on the flow then. I think my flow is less than 25gph. I will try to lower it to 12hrs a day. So the growth will start around 3rd week?

That is a pretty tiny screen, not sure that is going to get you what your after. Mine is 6 X 6.5 double sided which means I can feed heavy for a tank my size Approx 1-1.5 cubes a day.

I believe the upflow are even less effective as the waterfall builds, but I'm not 100% as I never researched that type as they seem to be a odd build. Sorry I can't help you on that type, but I would suggest looking into making your build at least 2X the size if you plan to feed upward of 1 cube or more a day.

And yes 3-4 weeks it what it took mine to really start growing well, but you must clean every week or it will hinder the inital gorw process.

• Like 1
lonewonderer

I have a waterfall style as well but i have to mod it. From the overflow box drain to the waterflow AS. it is a 10' x 12' scrubber waterfall style. If I'm going to use that. How may LED lights should I use? and it will be on one side only. My sump is a 10 gallon DIY. my DT is a 40 gallon reef.

lonewonderer

I feed my fishes 1 cube per day. So i think the waterfall is much better for this project. I will post pictures once i installed it. I will get 2 2700-3000k CFL bulbs today with that clip on light. I'll update you soon. thanks!

lonewonderer

here is my previous AS that i made for my freshwater tank. I applied it today on my reef sump. I just put a 60w 2700k bulb on that light. is that enough?

as.PNG

as1.PNG

as2.PNG