ReefCleaners.org

So frustrated!

Clown79

I live in Canada and it's so freaking hard to get macro! 

I'd love to get mangroves but that seems to be nowhere here these days! Even a supplier is out of stock. 

I'd love dragons breath in my DT  but that is virtually impossible. 

I don't get how we have corals, sw fish, inverts, but macro is nowhere.

Can't even special order. No one does it.

Rant over. Just had to share how difficult it can be in some places to get some fairly simple stuff.

• Like 4
reef keeper1200

i feel u i live in mexico and led me tell u it is impossible to even  get a fish and equipment i have to wait for my relatives to come if u are lucky you could find  gold fish lol in a stand on the street :D....eberythin i got was thur either eBay or from amazon thru my relatives in us and live aquaria :) 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, reef keeper1200 said:

i feel u i live in mexico and led me tell u it is impossible to even  get a fish and equipment i have to wait for my relatives to come if u are lucky you could find  gold fish lol in a stand on the street :D....eberythin i got was thur either eBay or from amazon thru my relatives in us and live aquaria :) 

You're lucky to be able to order from liveaquaria. But I can understand your frustration.

It seems most places outside of the US and Aus have difficulties getting certain  things.

I wouldn't complain living in cda, its pretty great here but the hobby died out yrs ago and keeps declining so less is available. It's also expensive with taxes etc.

I'm from Australia, and I think a lot of us even those in the hobby take for granted how easy the access we have to livestock. and I complain when it's hard to find me a blue boxfish! 

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I also live in Canada and I totally feel your frustration about the lack of macro.  I have several types now, but only a couple were actually for sale. Usually it goes more like "hey, can I have that little piece tucked away in the corner for a few dollars?"  I now check for macro bits at every store I go to. I wish I could find dragon's breath, but I think that's hopeless. 

It also seems kind of over priced when I do find it, but I'm not totally sure what prices are like in te US. I just paid $25 for feather caulerpa. Is that similar to the US? 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You're lucky to be able to order from liveaquaria. But I can understand your frustration.

It seems most places outside of the US and Aus have difficulties getting certain  things.

I wouldn't complain living in cda, its pretty great here but the hobby died out yrs ago and keeps declining so less is available. It's also expensive with taxes etc.

So it's not an issue of it being allowed there it's just not really available there?  

.....I might have have to start running macro over the border. lol

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

So it's not an issue of it being allowed there it's just not really available there?  

Once in a while some vendors will get macro, and I've seen a decent amount of variety so it must be allowed. The problem is, a type of macro might only be available once a year from one vendor.  And it isn't practical to pay $30 shipping for one little clump of algae.  

• Like 2
Just now, fishfreak0114 said:

Once in a while some vendors will get macro, and I've seen a decent amount of variety so it must be allowed. The problem is, a type of macro might only be available once a year from one vendor.  And it isn't practical to pay $30 shipping for one little clump of algae.  

Well, you Canadians can't have it all I guess! :)  

(I'm ignorant of import laws and such so I didn't know if it was that kind of issue.)

• Like 1
reef keeper1200
31 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

lol hahaha macro runs :D

• Like 2

I think it's permitted. 

There is one place in bc that sells a decent amount of common macro but it's always out of stock.

To ship from BC to ON for a piece of macro would be $$$. It's about $34 within province.

Our shipping costd are ridiculous.

I haven't found a single store elsewhere that has any. 

2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

You should! You just need to deal with import license. 

• Like 1

-_- That's depressing if you guys can't find dragon's breath. That's the one macro I'd have really liked in my DT. I'd just love a green banded goby, too, but they're nowhere to be found. Nowhere!

Where in Canada are you, Clown? If you're in the GTA, I was at Big Al's Mississauga yesterday and they had some baby mangroves.

fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I think it's permitted. 

There is one place in bc that sells a decent amount of common macro but it's always out of stock.

To ship from BC to ON for a piece of macro would be $$$. It's about $34 within province.

Our shipping costd are ridiculous.

I haven't found a single store elsewhere that has any. 

You should! You just need to deal with import license. 

Are you talking about J&L aquatics?  I was just there recently, and all they had in stock was chaeto and ulva.  Sometimes I'll see something nice like shaving brush on Canada Corals, but there's never been any macro in stock when I've placed orders. 

If someone were bringing macro into Canada, I would totally buy some! 

16 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I live in Canada and it's so freaking hard to get macro! 

I'd love to get mangroves but that seems to be nowhere here these days! Even a supplier is out of stock. 

I'd love dragons breath in my DT  but that is virtually impossible. 

I don't get how we have corals, sw fish, inverts, but macro is nowhere.

Can't even special order. No one does it.

Rant over. Just had to share how difficult it can be in some places to get some fairly simple stuff.

@TJ_Burton might be able to help

• Like 1

Big Als in Mississauga has macro fairly regularly. They had 2 tanks under their coral look down tanks that were literally full of macro (and seahorses).

It is definitely around; just not easy to find online like it is in the USA. Not enough retailers ship livestock in Canada.

• Like 1

Just move out of that third world banana republic that most people have never even heard of!

Just kidding. I'd sacrifice all the ease of access to the hobby stuff to live a forward thinking, truly PROgressive country. And the PM has some pretty rad socks. In fact, IDEA! You should send ole Justin a pair of tropical fish socks and see if he rocks them on his next trip to Australia! 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Just move out of that third world banana republic that most people have never even heard of!

Just kidding. I'd sacrifice all the ease of access to the hobby stuff to live a forward thinking, truly PROgressive country. And the PM has some pretty rad socks. In fact, IDEA! You should send ole Justin a pair of tropical fish socks and see if he rocks them on his next trip to Australia! 

True! Ya it's not that bad here besides the expenses and taxes.

The last time I was at big al's miss. They only had chaeto and lettuce.

No mangroves and definitely no dragons breath.

I'm looking for something to put in the Dt 

It looks like you can get mangrove seeds fairly easily off of ebay, some even with free shipping. Tell me about it though, getting stuff in Canada is a pain in the ass. Especially when we can't even get some of the stuff most people use like bayer advanced that people use for coral dipping. 

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

True! Ya it's not that bad here besides the expenses and taxes.

The last time I was at big al's miss. They only had chaeto and lettuce.

No mangroves and definitely no dragons breath.

I'm looking for something to put in the Dt 

When did you last go? They almost always have mangroves - been there every time I visit for at least the last two years.
Dragons breath they get periodically and it was there two weeks ago.

Call them and speak with Dan or Vanessa (the two managers of the fishroom) and they can tell you when they are expecting to get it next. Call it red macro algae. Not sure they know that it is called dragons breath.

Either way, mangroves and macro are not as rare as they may seem.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

source.gif