Innovative Marine Aquariums

turtle tank for kids...any basic advice?

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

my kids saw a tank with some turtles in it at petco...any turtle experts out there?  How do I "do it right"?  Apparently they swim and then go on land.

any advice?  what's the most trusted resource I should turn to?

my gut says that its a lot of work...and expensive to do right.  frankly don't know if I can handle a turtle tank AND keeping a pristine reef tank that lives in the center of our living room.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Well I'm certainly no expert, I only care for the one at my school.  No advice on setup or resources (I highly doubt that tank is the ideal tank), but I will say this-- use carbon in a filter!  The tank gets smelly fast.  I do usually 2-3 5g water changes a week out of what I estimate to be 15g of actual water volume.  On weeks when I have lots of lab setup and I can only get to it once, it starts to smell.  They do go on land, the school's turtle has some big slate like rocks that he can climb onto when he feels like it.  If it's a red eared slider, be prepared for a fairly long lived animal.  I'm pretty sure the school's is around 8 years and still going strong. 

• Like 3
RayWhisperer

I don't know what would be your best option to search info. I'd imagine any decent herp site would be fine.

probably the biggest mistakes people make, are what they feed, and light. Surprisingly, these go hand in hand with any herp. If you plan on feeding it natural foods, you'll need uv a and uv b lighting. Many prepared foods already have vitamin d 3, and others for proper digestion.

Another mistake is temperature. All reptiles are ectothermic. They need heat, not only to function, but digest, as well. So, be sure it has a spot to bask that gets pretty toasty.

• Like 1
burtbollinger
2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Well I'm certainly no expert, I only care for the one at my school.  No advice on setup or resources (I highly doubt that tank is the ideal tank), but I will say this-- use carbon in a filter!  The tank gets smelly fast.  I do usually 2-3 5g water changes a week out of what I estimate to be 15g of actual water volume.  On weeks when I have lots of lab setup and I can only get to it once, it starts to smell.  They do go on land, the school's turtle has some big slate like rocks that he can climb onto when he feels like it.  If it's a red eared slider, be prepared for a fairly long lived animal.  I'm pretty sure the school's is around 8 years and still going strong. 

lol my literal first thought was....gonna run some BRS Rox carbon on this thing or its gonna get nasty.

• Like 1

Austin's Turtle Page: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/

Set-up will run you about $500-600.

They really require about 10 gallons of water per inch of shell length. The very smallest pet species (male Mississippi map, common "stinkpot") could live in a 40 gal tank, but bigger is always better for turtles. The more room they have, the longer it takes them to foul up the water. And they will foul it up... go with very heavy-duty filtration. They need a heat bulb and a UVB bulb which should be switched out every 6-12 months (depending on the manufacturer). And a water heater that's turtle safe, since they can really push stuff around. They need to be able to leave the water and dry off completely in their tank. The care sheets on ATP will break down diet for each species. Any specific questions? :)

8 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Bro, he needs a way bigger tank. :(

ETA: Oh yeah - bare bottom is safest and easiest to keep clean. They can ingest gravel and rocks.

• Like 2
burtbollinger
3 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Austin's Turtle Page: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/

Any specific questions? :)

My only question at this point is how do I tell my 4 year-old twins that daddy is not going to get a turtle tank...and to learn to enjoy their reef tank?

MAN, I figured it was intense, but wow, there is a lot to get right...honestly, I don't think I can handle it.

thanks for the information!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
12 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Bro, he needs a way bigger tank. :(

I know, it makes me so sad.  The tank is probably 2x3' with roughly 6" of water.  There's also an Oscar with HITH and pleco in a 55 gallon with only an AC70 for filtration.  I do 3-4 large water changes a week on that.  At least we're trying to rehome those two (I advised them to).  And don't get me started on the feeder goldfish in a 2.5g with no real filter.  They don't mean to take poor care of the animals, they just aren't educated about their needs.  I do the best with what I have.  The only thing I can do to try and make those animals' lives better is water changes, so I do. There isn't even a basking light for the turtle :(  And his food isn't the greatest.  And the filter barely moves any water, it's almost stagnant. 

Just now, burtbollinger said:

My only question at this point is how do I tell my 4 year-old twins that daddy is not going to get a turtle tank...and to learn to enjoy their reef tank?

MAN, I figured it was intense, but wow, there is a lot to get right...honestly, I don't think I can handle it.

thanks for the information!

No prob!

It is a lot. In most states in the US I believe it's illegal to sell turtles smaller than 4" as pets, but there's no such law here in Canada, so a lot of people get suckered into buying red-eared sliders when they're just tiny cute babies and only $25... then the babies start growing (up to 12" shell length in their lifetime)... I work at a pet store that fortunately doesn't sell turtles, but has teamed up with a turtle shelter to display 1-2 of their adoptable turtles at a time. They're almost all red-eared sliders and there's usually about 150-200 of them in the shelter at a time, with a wait-list for surrender. A lot of owners just dump them in the wild though. It's pretty sad.

2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I know, it makes me so sad.  The tank is probably 2x3' with roughly 6" of water.  There's also an Oscar with HITH and pleco in a 55 gallon with only an AC70 for filtration.  I do 3-4 large water changes a week on that.  At least we're trying to rehome those two (I advised them to).  And don't get me started on the feeder goldfish in a 2.5g with no real filter.  They don't mean to take poor care of the animals, they just aren't educated about there needs.  I do the best with what I have.  The only thing I can do to try and make those animals' lives better is water changes, so I do. There isn't even a basking light for the turtle :(  And his food isn't the greatest.  And the filter barely moves any water, it's almost stagnant. 

Aw man. That sucks. :(

I had turtles many times.

For red eared sliders

They need a tank that is set up partially full with rockwork stacked coming out of the water.

Flat rocks are best to use stacked. They swim a lot but also need basking areas.

Larger substrates are best. Smooth rock or barebotton. Small stoned can be accidently ingested causing health issues/death.

Using a heater is best. They don't do well in cold water, above 75 is best.

Using a tank with a mesh lid or hood is also preferable.

If you have the tank in a room that gets a good amount of sunlight, that's enough. Not directly in a window but enough for them to get vit. D3. Fluorescent lighting works as well.

Turtles are messy. The tank does get nasty if regular water changes aren't performed and larger water changes are better. 25% or more.

They produce a lot of waste and an unclean environment leads to not only stinky water but bacterial infections. 

I always used treated tap.

An hob filter is good to use.

Now turtles get big. They grow quickly too. It's a downside to them. 

I would not advise allowing them to be held or played with as there is the possibility of salmonella infection. 

I wouldn't say it's expensive outside of the needed supplies tank, rock, heater, filter. There is turtle food available and then as they get larger you can give them feeder fish as a treat.

Here is a good link

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1797&aid=2613

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Madcat said:

No prob!

It is a lot. In most states in the US I believe it's illegal to sell turtles smaller than 4" as pets, but there's no such law here in Canada, so a lot of people get suckered into buying red-eared sliders when they're just tiny cute babies and only $25... then the babies start growing (up to 12" shell length in their lifetime)... I work at a pet store that fortunately doesn't sell turtles, but has teamed up with a turtle shelter to display 1-2 of their adoptable turtles at a time. They're almost all red-eared sliders and there's usually about 150-200 of them in the shelter at a time, with a wait-list for surrender. A lot of owners just dump them in the wild though. It's pretty sad.

for a long time it was against many regional by laws in Ontario to sell turtles simply due to salmonella risk.

The biggest issue is definitely the size they grow if they live long enough. Mine went from a toonie size to 4.5" or more wide in over a year. 

The kids will forget about them quickly. Kids do that. The novelty wears thin very quickly, especially if you get them interested in something else.

Try getting them into betta fish and set up a 5.5g for that. I have 2 African dwarf frogs with a betta. That's a lot easier and cheaper to do and maintain. Frogs are low bioload and 1 fish is too. 

Or you could do pea puffer FW tank. That would be cute and might get them interested.

• Like 1

Not that active on the forum anymore, but your post actually got me to sign on. Turtles are actually fairly easy, and setups can be easily kept clean. Really depends on the size of tank, and turtle species. There are 2-3 methods I have used in the past to keep the water from ever smelling (No carbon needed). I even gave a 75 Gallon sumped setup away to a buddy who wanted some painted turtles, if you would like, next time I am over there I can take pictures of the design as the total water volume is 90 gallons.  I personally keep a 10 year old Alligator Snapping turtle that I had purchased from John Richards out in Strafford, MO back in 2007. http://www.turtleman.com/ John Richards does do a trade out program, and will accept turtles back if your situation ever changes. Sadly my turtle out grew any tank I can easily afford, so I have the not so ideal setup for him currently but has the space to comfortably move around, "large horse trough". Initial setup is the most expensive, but with every tank, it is a work of art. Personally I would go with a smaller species of turtle, such as painted turtles. Tank setup is easy, the key is diet and a good UVB bulb for basking. On a side note, I have never purchased turtle food. Instead I would go fishing. Go to the rivers and ponds, use a cast net with 1/4" mesh or less and just keep the tank stocked with locally caught fish. (Know your local game and fishing laws). That way the turtles can actively hunt. I would spend a day at the river gathering fish, crayfish, and other tasty treats that I would stock the tank with. Basically creating a natural setup. Veggies are given from my fridge or garden.  Doing something like this will most likely keep the kids in the hobby as well. UVB bulbs are the most expensive part other than the electric bill for the tank. They need to be changed out every 6 months. Water changes really depend on the amount of extra food you put in the tank, or the type of fish you keep from the river or lakes, as they will be more sensitive to the water quality. Otherwise a setup can easily be kept almost, if not completely odorless. In the long run we care for that painted turtle tank as if it was a fresh water tank. As they get bigger, avoid plastic plants, they tend to ingest anything they put in their mouth. 

Side note, aquatic turtles are much easier to house and care for properly than terrestrial turtles in my opinion. Most common issue with keeping turtles is they are easily overfeed along with poor basking options. 

Just keep track of your state laws, as each state differs regarding reptiles ownership, as I know in MO, you require a permit to own certain species of turtle such as the alligator snapping turtle. You can purchased turtles from places like Fuanaclassifieds fairly easily, but not all species can be legally kept in every state without permits. In NC, I cannot keep more than 4 native species without a permit, and I cannot own anything on the NC endangered species list. 

Okay I went on for to long...

Regards,

Muraki

I have also PMed this message along with my number if you were to pursue this project and need ideas or pictures. 

• Like 2
johnmaloney
10 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

They do get smelly. 

johnmaloney
10 hours ago, Madcat said:

No prob!

The wild in Canada? That must be rough. Do you guys have native reptiles or is it too cold there? Excuse my ignorance, I am from FL. :)

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Only with improper care.

I have never kept them, but I assume they are like lizards...you need to clean out the cage/aquarium pretty often sort of thing? Probably more so with turtles since they do their business in the water. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Probably more so with turtles since they do their business in the water. 

Treat it like a freshwater fish tank, but with extra space for a proper biological filtration. Such as an over sized canister filter or a sump. I have had less require maintenance with a sumped freshwater turtle system over one with a canister filter. If you use canister filters, I suggest owning two, so you can rotate which one you clean out. Never had a smell issue that differed from a normal tank.  And to make full use of the water volume a tank can have, create a "hood" that doesn't have a top, so basically 4 walls around the rim of the tank that you build in a ramp and basking area. This way the tank can be filled to 100% water capacity and still have dry space for the turtles. For my buddies setup I designed, we also use the sump to raise and grow out self cloning crayfish, extra snacks to toss into the tank at any time. 

If you feed naturally caught foods, I would run a UV filter as well, as to reduce the number of parasites. Healthy turtles will not have an issue, but I have been over run with different types of worms in the past. The UV filter was the last key feature to limit maintenance on the turtle setups. 

6 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

The wild in Canada? That must be rough. Do you guys have native reptiles or is it too cold there? Excuse my ignorance, I am from FL. :)

I have never kept them, but I assume they are like lizards...you need to clean out the cage/aquarium pretty often sort of thing? Probably more so with turtles since they do their business in the water. 

We have wild turtles. When you travel up north you may see them.

Our weather is across the board here. Each province is different.

I was referring to selling them as pets. Now it's permitted again but for quite a while it was against the bylaw for stores to sell them.

6 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

We do! In Ontario we have a number of native snakes and turtles. Most hibernate in winter. Red eared sliders are native to southern states, so some of the ones that get released end up dying when winter rolls around. But many of them adapt, and then they start outcompeting our native turtles. It's a real issue. People just genuinely don't see the problem with releasing pet turtles.

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

While it's undeniable, the pet trade has spread red ear sliders far beyond their natural range. I think the original distribution of the species has been grossly underestimated. I live in northern IL, and was catching red ears when I was probably 5 years old, that's like 41 years ago. According to the species distribution map on Wikipedia, they aren't even here. Same goes for southern Wisconsin, and western Michigan. Hell, I was catching them in a few lakes in the upper part of central Minnesota at least 30 years ago. They were very common in all these places. 

Judging by their ability to adapt, as well as their described original distribution. I would guess they originally ranged everywhere east of the Rockies, before glaciation. I see very similar patterns in eastern box turtle populations. Even they are spreading, though at a much slower rate. Compare distribution maps to glaciation maps, and you can see a pretty close correlation, especially along their northern ranges.

• Like 1

Great advice from everyone. 

I did a turtle tank for my daughter quite some years ago. 

1 map and 1 western painted. About 2" around when I got them. 

55 gal. Over filtration, constant water changes, (still got dirty if I blinked). 

Nice basking area setup,. 

Plenty of good light, both types for turtles. 

Minimal decoration so had room to swim. 

It's been awhile so I don't have an exact time, but inside 18 months, shells were banging the glass so hard I worried everyday that the wife was gonna get a new hardwood floor and I was gonna be looking for overtime (vacation) money. 

Rather quickly they went to their forever forest preserve home and I turned it into a cichlid cave tank. We went to Acapulco and she didn't get a new floor. I was overjoyed, daughter loved picking out and naming cichlids. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mark1313 said:

Great advice from everyone. 

I did a turtle tank for my daughter quite some years ago. 

1 map and 1 western painted. About 2" around when I got them. 

55 gal. Over filtration, constant water changes, (still got dirty if I blinked). 

Nice basking area setup,. 

Plenty of good light, both types for turtles. 

Minimal decoration so had room to swim. 

It's been awhile so I don't have an exact time, but inside 18 months, shells were banging the glass so hard I worried everyday that the wife was gonna get a new hardwood floor and I was gonna be looking for overtime (vacation) money. 

Rather quickly they went to their forever forest preserve home and I turned it into a cichlid cave tank. We went to Acapulco and she didn't get a new floor. I was overjoyed, daughter loved picking out and naming cichlids. 

Cichlid are awesome fish.

• Like 1

how about a crested gecko? With a living terrarium, live plants and dirt, there's very little cleaning to be done. Cresteds can be trained to be handled by all ages and can be pretty chilled if used to being handled since a baby. Set up run about $300, and once set up, all you need to do is buy food as needed. One large bag of Pangea crested gecko food lasted me 6 months.

I've had a crested gecko for a few years and my young nieces loved it. The only maintenence I did was clean the glass few times a week (they do poop on the glass), water the plants as needed, mist the tank daily and feed the gecko every other night. You can even get pill bugs to help keep the dirt clean and plants growing. If you go fake plants, it's more work because then you'll need to wash the fake plants a few times a week.

Pangea reptile forum is a great place to research more if you are interested.

• Like 3