Top Shelf Aquatics

Help deciding on light for 13.5 nano

c_man7

I'm looking to just upgrade the light on a fluval evo 13.5 to something that allows a little more functionality then on off. I narrowed it down to a few options. I know I keep getting told just get the ai prime hd, but thats way over budget. I'm in the process of shutting on tank down and setting up this nano tank, as a money saving thing, so spending all the money I make off the tank defeats the purpose. Looking only to spend around $130 as I still have to buy a wavemaker and skimmer and media basic. I know the stock light will support softies and lps but how does it promote growth? 

Here are my options

Reefbreeders Nano Light Touch

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/nano-light-touch/

SBreefbreeder 16"basic

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/1-sbox-basic.html

Viparspectra Timer 165W LED

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UMXAR5S/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Kessil A80

https://www.amazon.com/Kessil-Tuna-Blue-Light-gooseneck/dp/B01MTKJQ7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1500559389&sr=1-1&keywords=kessil+a80

• 2 weeks later...

I have the nano light touch over my 7g tank. I have softie and a few lps (acans and torch) and they are growing (esp. the torch) Works really well, fan is not that loud, but I'm getting a kessil A80 with the controller. Turns out no being able to control it is annoying me more than I thought it would. If you are on a budget I totally undersand that. How about the 16inch breeder, is it controllable?

If you're patient, I think you can find a used Prime (not HD) for about 130-150 used. You won't need the HD although it is a nice feature. I have two Primes over a 36" tank that is 12" deep and have plenty of power. That would be my choice for that tank, esp. on a budget. Patience pays off.

I just upgraded an old Oceanic 8 Biocube to two Truelumen 10" LED strips with 2 453nm blue & 2 12,000k white leds per strip. You can also purchase a dimmer & 3-way splitter to run up to 3 strips. Also, have a short 3 LED 453nm(blue) for moonlight. Must get power separately. Installs a snap(double sided sticky tape or screw).

10" strip $19.55 ea

splitter $14.63

power supply $36.94

3 blue moonlight $13.68

all on Amazon (search Truelumen)

The Ai is awesome.

You don't need to buy a controller. It can be controlled from your phone.

Many options

Personalized settings

Acclimation setting

Preset Kelvin setting  (which can be altered)

Storm setting

Lunar setting( follows the real lunar cycle)

You can have any coral under the Ai.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The Ai is awesome.

You don't need to buy a controller. It can be controlled from your phone.

Many options

Personalized settings

Acclimation setting

Preset Kelvin setting  (which can be altered)

Storm setting

Lunar setting( follows the real lunar cycle)

You can have any coral under the Ai.

good response! B) 

silly question. does the phone need to bear around the lights for the settings/profiles you made to take effect, or is that just the way you communicate them to the light and it'll do whatever/however whether you're there or away?  :ninja:

17 hours ago, Friendly said:

good response! B) 

silly question. does the phone need to bear around the lights for the settings/profiles you made to take effect, or is that just the way you communicate them to the light and it'll do whatever/however whether you're there or away?  :ninja:

Lights keep the settings stored once you set them up, most of them will require that your on the same wifi network to login, though I believe some higher end devices have a "login from anywhere" feature. Not 100% positive as I don't have a radion with reef link or any of those top tier fixtures/devices. I have a nano-box and from my knowledge of that you need to be on the same network unless there is something I am missing somewhere. Though Dave tried to help me change some settings remotely, he was unable to login with my info. So it may be possible using bluefish controller, just didn't have success for me.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Friendly said:

good response! B) 

No. It works through wifi. My hubby has changed settings while i'm on a sofa and he's at work.

Once you create your settings and save it, it works on its own. You don't need to be near it for it to run your settings