Pod Your Reef

Two clowns and a domino damsel

pretendo

The two clowns get along fine, and the damsel is a bit aggressive. he (damsel) always wants to be part of the group but the dominate clown will chase him off. My question is, if I get another domino damsel will the two hang out while the clowns are left alone? I guess its a question that does not have a definitive answer. But I guess the real question is do damsels school up? I was also contemplating removing the damsel but I will have to set a trap because hes so fast.

Damsels are just plain mean.  And they get meaner as they get older.  Getting another will just probably add to the aggression.  In addition, damsels and clownfish are related, which makes things worse.

Yes, I'd remove the damsel and replace it with another type of fish.  The way that I catch fish is to remove the rock (so they can't hide in it).  Then you can catch them with a net or specimen container (or Rubbermaid food container).

• Like 4

I ####ed up on my first tank and got a domino. It was every bit as hard to catch as a sixline I had to get out of a later try. I not only had to remove the rock but drain the water down to a few inches. Finally got it out. Huge hassle. Huge. I did try some of the DIY fish traps out there with 0 luck. 

• Like 2

My hubby yrs ago wanted a damsel in our old 20g. I didn't want to because of their reputation.

He got it as it was his tank.

Worst thing ever!

Couldn't even keep a clown or a blenny with it and it was a royal b $%!# to get out.

Tank drain and two nets with 2 ppl to get it.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, pretendo said:

Ay Yai Yai all the rock >< how about a fish trap ? of some kind :)

omg now my damsel is in the anemone.... hosting now im guessing wtf

lol, ya anenome's can host domino damsels. Clowns are in the damselfish family so it makes sense I guess.