SaltCritters.com

Evo 13.5 stock filtration questions

Madcat

I have some questions about my stock filter! So the return pump actively pumps water out, no complaints there. It just seems like the filter's ability to suck water IN is not that strong. In the first couple weeks, any surface debris I stirred up ended up getting pulled into the filter. Now it seems like whenever I turn the lights on, I can see all these flecks of debris just swirling around on the surface and only occasionally getting pulled into the first chamber. I used to see the water in the second and third chambers revolving a bit - now the water is still unless I blast each chamber with a turkey baster every day. I still need the block up the little hole in the middle of chamber two, but surely that alone isn't causing the lack of water movement.

I don't really want to invest in a protein skimmer since I've heard stories about the Fluval skimmer overflowing or having other issues. Plus I'll be doing weekly water changes (I've done three in the past 5 days to reduce my nitrates before adding livestock) and I've been told I don't really need one if I stay on top of water changes.

I built a DIY media basket out of plastic StayMesh and have filter floss on the first rack and carbon underneath. These days it's looking like the water just sort of drifts lazily around in there. I'm starting to wonder if I should invest in a media basket that will force water all the way through the media. But is the InTank basket seriously worth ~$70CAD (plus shipping)?? That seems awfully steep.

Just wondering what other people's experiences have been with this tank. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this!

Darn. Was hoping for a solution that wouldn't cost too much $$. :lol: I'm going to the LFS tomorrow, I'll see if they have anything that's in my budget, but if not I think reefsupplies.ca has some good pumps for not too much.

Plug the hole in chamber two. It helps a lot. 

The fluval chamber design sucks.  They is a huge restriction by the pump no matter if you upgrade. 

Is USD that far off now?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StevieT said:

The fluval chamber design sucks.  They is a huge restriction by the pump no matter if you upgrade. 

:( Really? How so?

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Maybe the pump needs cleaning.

Pumps and return hose should be cleaned monthly or the function weakens

This ^. I still use the stock pump and don't have any issue with moving water through the over flow and chambers.  I actually clean the pump weekly.  It only takes two minutes to pop the cover off and clean the sponge, remove the impeller and clean the junk out around it, and put it back together.  Also, plugging the hole in the AIO wall will make a noticeable difference to the water flow through the over flow. 

13 hours ago, Madcat said:

:( Really? How so?

The water flow from chamber two into the pump chamber is restricted by the space they allowed in their mold design.