Innovative Marine Aquariums

Am I a Saltwater Snob?

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

I get questions from people sometimes on how to fix something or care for something in their freshwater tank. While I am friendly and try to offer good advice, I get this little voice in the back of my head that says "tell them to just stick a hose in one end, and drain out the overflow for awhile until the tank is back in line - freshwater tanks are so easy!", or some other snobbish comment. I am not talking about planted freshwater aquariums, or delicate fish... this is usually some ammonia occurred in a goldfish tank because of overfeeding. Anyway...I am working on it. Just wondering....am I alone? I mean, we with saltwater tanks have it much harder don't we? Doesn't that make me a better person? Damn! Did it again...  :) 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

Doesn't that make me a better person?

John, I'm pretty sure you are a better person. ;)

I think you're right, there are some elaborate examples of freshwater planted tanks which put some of our reef tanks to shame.  But these are more exceptions than the typical freshwater tank with glo fish and plastic decorations.

I remember reading books about freshwater aquariums when I was a kid.  My freshwater tanks were good practice for saltwater.  Although not necessary, I kind of wish more beginners had this experience before starting their first marine tank.

• Like 3
johnmaloney
2 hours ago, seabass said:

John, I'm pretty sure you are a better person. ;)

I think you're right, there are some elaborate examples of freshwater planted tanks which put some of our reef tanks to shame.  But these are more exceptions than the typical freshwater tank with glo fish and plastic decorations.

I remember reading books about freshwater aquariums when I was a kid.  My freshwater tanks were good practice for saltwater.  Although not necessary, I kind of wish more beginners had this experience before starting their first marine tank.

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

I actually did start with freshwater first, and I agree that it was helpful experience. :)

I did too. Australian Rainbowfish were my favorite. Always swimming, nice and peaceful...unlike freshwater puffers which are the sweetest looking monsters. 

• Like 4

I started out with freshwater.

I've had the typical tropical community tank

A cichlid tank

Turtles

I currently have a planted nano with a betta and African dwarf frogs

Freshwater experience helped with SW

Both can have difficulties and require work with diligence to work properly

A lot of FW owners don't get very involved and some are neglectful.

That's not because the livestock or system can handle it, its because ppl perceive FW livestock have less needs...its only a $4 fish.

Betta's and goldfish are treated and sold like a dollar store toy. A commodity not an animal. 

• Like 4
mitten_reef

I'm definitely a SW snob, never had FW tank in my life. 

With a caveat - I do have mad respects for the "extreme" aquascape planted tank type (the scenic underwater world style); I can't imagine myself having enough patience to keep that type of tank. I'd be too OCD about it, already indecisive about SW 'scapes and coral placements. 

• Like 4

My first tank was as a child housed a goldfish and a underwater frog in it and I loved it. My dad would give me live bait (shrimp, grubs) from fishing and they went nuts for em. I think goldfish tanks are fine, different levels for different people. I am sure some don't want to mix saltwater, ect. 

You can find "snobs" in all hobbies, some people have dogs as just family pets and others spend a lot of $ and driving time to compete hardcore in trials/competitions.

All my FW tanks later in life were simple low tech heavily planted tanks so I don't think they helped me much with saltwater because you can literally never do water changes and it wouldn't matter. A habit a person wouldn't want to bring to SW.

Not at all. My dad has a simple FW 29 gal tank set up and he's constantly asking me questions and I feel the same way!

In addition, I have a 9 gal FW planted tank with 2 pea puffers. Had them for over 2 years now, and I am anxious for them to kick the bucket so I can convert the tank to SW (terrible, I know!) That poor FW tank hasn't been getting enough attention as it should, compared to my SW tanks, lol

• Like 1

I have a slightly different type of snobbery which is that I get exposed to a lot of morons in FW, and now that I have this SW tank I find them even more unbearable than usual... I work at a chain pet store that carries exclusively FW fish and attracts a lot of newbs. I would say maybe 10% of them have done substantial research. In almost 4 years and hundreds of customers, I can only recall one who did a fishless cycle. We sometimes have a hard time convincing people to let their tanks run for even just a day before adding fish!

And now I have this awesome tank I'm in love with and it's been running for almost a MONTH with NO LIVESTOCK and I test all the time because the last thing I want is for anything to die in my tank because of my impatience, even if it's "just" a $3 invert... and these dummies are just tossing fish in as soon as they can. You think I don't want fish in my tank?! I could be wrong, given that I don't sell SW fish, but it just feels to me like SW people have a lot more knowledge and respect for their livestock.

Of course there are FW hobbyists who are just as knowledgeable, and many of us learned a lot from FW, and there are some stunning and very demanding FW set-ups out there. I'm just a bitter hag because I don't typically get to meet those hobbyists at my job. :P

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

All my FW tanks later in life were simple low tech heavily planted tanks so I don't think they helped me much with saltwater because you can literally never do water changes and it wouldn't matter. A habit a person wouldn't want to bring to SW.

Haha.  I'm kind of doing this in saltwater right now:

071917b.jpg

• Like 7
56 minutes ago, Madcat said:

I have a slightly different type of snobbery which is that I get exposed to a lot of morons in FW, and now that I have this SW tank I find them even more unbearable than usual... I work at a chain pet store that carries exclusively FW fish and attracts a lot of newbs. I would say maybe 10% of them have done substantial research. In almost 4 years and hundreds of customers, I can only recall one who did a fishless cycle. We sometimes have a hard time convincing people to let their tanks run for even just a day before adding fish!

And now I have this awesome tank I'm in love with and it's been running for almost a MONTH with NO LIVESTOCK and I test all the time because the last thing I want is for anything to die in my tank because of my impatience, even if it's "just" a $3 invert... and these dummies are just tossing fish in as soon as they can. You think I don't want fish in my tank?! I could be wrong, given that I don't sell SW fish, but it just feels to me like SW people have a lot more knowledge and respect for their livestock.

Of course there are FW hobbyists who are just as knowledgeable, and many of us learned a lot from FW, and there are some stunning and very demanding FW set-ups out there. I'm just a bitter hag because I don't typically get to meet those hobbyists at my job. :P

You may be one of the only knowledgable employees at a big chain pet store! Sorry to disparage the fine folks at petsmart/petco but I've had plenty of bad experiences.

I've only been at the SW game for four months as of monday (reminder to update the FTS!) and I have learned a ton just from NR.  I like to think I dont show my SW snobbery but I am sure it has come out once or twice when a co-worker has shown me a picture of their beta dungeon. Peasants!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TheBig053 said:

You may be one of the only knowledgable employees at a big chain pet store! Sorry to disparage the fine folks at petsmart/petco but I've had plenty of bad experiences.

My current coworkers and I sometimes disagree on some things, but overall we're all fairly knowledgeable in our department. I've met many other knowledgeable chain store employees online, too. But in the past I've definitely worked with, and encountered, some truly clueless employees. I think it really depends on the type of employee the managers are looking for... some just don't realize that the way to get repeat customers is by having employees who care about the animals and generally know what they're talking about. Customers appreciate that (crazy, right?!). Corporate policy is that we can deny a sale if we feel an animal isn't going to a good home, but some managers will force you to make the sale anyway, and then what knowledgeable employees they do have tend to get frustrated and leave. My store is pretty good. And the cool customers who take our advice and want the best for their animals tend to make up for the dumb ones. :)

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

I'm a snob. Not just a Saltwater snob. I'm an aquatic snob. It becomes tiresome when all people ever want from you is a favor, or advice. The biggest slap in the face is when they seek my advice, then ignore it because it actually involves doing something. Another peev is nobody bothers to remember anything because they know me. One spectacular example is one fellow. He calls me about every month when he's getting ready to do a water change. "Hey, Ray. What's my salt level supposed to be?" I've told him it's salinity, and it's 35 ppt, or 1.025. It never sinks in. Now I just say 35 ppt, or 1.025 when I pick up his calls instead of saying hello.

IMG_0081.JPG

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Madcat said:

I think at least a small part is cost... When you pay 30..40.. Or 100s for a fish.... Average people try not to let them die..... Still there are people who put a ton of fish and even large tangs in TEN gallon tanks.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I think at least a small part is cost... When you pay 30..40.. Or 100s for a fish.... Average people try not to let them die..... Still there are people who put a ton of fish and even large tangs in TEN gallon tanks.

Very true. There's more at stake when your cheapest fish costs $20. Pretty depressing. I don't even set up a betta tank without seeding the filter with bio media from an established tank.

Based on my read of this thread, you're all snobs! People ask you for advice and you turn your noses up or rudely answer their phone calls or act like a dick while you're on the clock helping a customer. 

For shame, for shame. 

• Like 1

Haha... love the title of this thread.

You definitely aren't the only one who feels like a Saltwater snob.

I started out as freshwater all my life as well, kept Arrowanas with my dad and then finally started my own "planted" freshwater tanks. Then one day it just hit me. FW is pretty boring. Yeah, you can take your time to aquascape and the CO2 diffuser, but to me it quickly became boring as it was not too challenging at all.

Fast forward, got into Saltwater just to "try" it out with a couple of clowns and easy softies. Now? I'm knees deep with LPS corals, stepping into SPS... and it's pretty darn challenging trying to figure out all the ins and outs with corals. I never knew keeping corals could be this much fun and engaging.

Just last month, on another forum, this girl posted a thread about her two goldfishes and how "her and like lots of other people don't know how expensive the fish keeping hobby is" and that she can't afford decors, air pumps, etc... and wanted us to help her by donating to her Go-Fund me of like $300 for her goldfishes. It ticked off soo many people. $300 for what? lol. Give me $20, i'll go buy a large tub and a air filter pump and be done with it. Maybe an extra $15 for Seachem Prime and I can keep that goldfish thriving.

Like what George (Coralfish12G) called Joey (King of DIY) in one of his video, jokingly, "freshwater scrub" haha. That was priceless.

I guess it's not snobby, it's just not too challenging and not much fun for me with FW anymore.

Here's my down-sized FW tank that I still have, practically maintenance free, except 50% water changes every 2 weeks.

IMG_5936.thumb.jpg.54d9b6b957b4ddf4e9bfe8669761c0ba.jpg

• Like 7

It was through reading on a freshwater forum that I found a mention of Nano-Reef, so FW was definitely a stepping stone for me. :happy:

• Like 5
johnmaloney
16 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

I'm a snob. Not just a Saltwater snob. I'm an aquatic snob. It becomes tiresome when all people ever want from you is a favor, or advice. The biggest slap in the face is when they seek my advice, then ignore it because it actually involves doing something. Another peev is nobody bothers to remember anything because they know me. One spectacular example is one fellow. He calls me about every month when he's getting ready to do a water change. "Hey, Ray. What's my salt level supposed to be?" I've told him it's salinity, and it's 35 ppt, or 1.025. It never sinks in. Now I just say 35 ppt, or 1.025 when I pick up his calls instead of saying hello.

IMG_0081.JPG

I thought I was bad. :mellow:

:)

2 hours ago, Nart said:

Haha... love the title of this thread.

You definitely aren't the only one who feels like a Saltwater snob.

I started out as freshwater all my life as well, kept Arrowanas with my dad and then finally started my own "planted" freshwater tanks. Then one day it just hit me. FW is pretty boring. Yeah, you can take your time to aquascape and the CO2 diffuser, but to me it quickly became boring as it was not too challenging at all.

Fast forward, got into Saltwater just to "try" it out with a couple of clowns and easy softies. Now? I'm knees deep with LPS corals, stepping into SPS... and it's pretty darn challenging trying to figure out all the ins and outs with corals. I never knew keeping corals could be this much fun and engaging.

Just last month, on another forum, this girl posted a thread about her two goldfishes and how "her and like lots of other people don't know how expensive the fish keeping hobby is" and that she can't afford decors, air pumps, etc... and wanted us to help her by donating to her Go-Fund me of like $300 for her goldfishes. It ticked off soo many people. $300 for what? lol. Give me $20, i'll go buy a large tub and a air filter pump and be done with it. Maybe an extra $15 for Seachem Prime and I can keep that goldfish thriving.

Like what George (Coralfish12G) called Joey (King of DIY) in one of his video, jokingly, "freshwater scrub" haha. That was priceless.

I guess it's not snobby, it's just not too challenging and not much fun for me with FW anymore.

Here's my down-sized FW tank that I still have, practically maintenance free, except 50% water changes every 2 weeks.

IMG_5936.thumb.jpg.54d9b6b957b4ddf4e9bfe8669761c0ba.jpg

That is a pretty sweet aquascape.