Pod Your Reef

Salt Water Questions

greenlinenshirt

5 hours ago, .Boris said:

The dry rock is dead but contains dead organisms that will decompose. I guess you could do it in the tank but it may smell bad and you may need to change the water frequently. It may be a nitrogen overload in terms of cycling.

About the RO- drinking water earlier in the post. If it is realy just RO or RODI, wouldn't that be unhealthy to consume?

RO is fine to drink. Aquafina is just RO water. I've heard that RODI and distilled are not so good to drink but I haven't looked into it. 

• Like 1
RayWhisperer
5 hours ago, .Boris said:

About the RO- drinking water earlier in the post. If it is realy just RO or RODI, wouldn't that be unhealthy to consume?

Maybe if you didn't eat anything for a few days, then chugged a gallon, or two right away. What you are thinking about is osmotic shock. It doesn't happen like they suggest it does. I've been drinking RO for around 3 years now. I'd drink RODI, but the resin leaves a nasty taste to the water. You cant get osmotic shock from drinking normal amounts of purified water with a normal diet. There are too many electrolytes in everything you eat and drink.

Re: the rock, the amount of dieoff depends on the source of the rock, I've used BRS Reef Saver and it's clean without organic material.  Pukani on the other hand is loaded with it.  It may be stinky and it's best to treat that sort of rock before using in the tank because otherwise it may leach organics into the tank for months and cause no end of algae and other issues.

4 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

RO is fine to drink. Aquafina is just RO water. I've heard that RODI and distilled are not so good to drink but I haven't looked into it. 

No they aren't. All the necessary minerals have been removed so then you have to replenish them. 

On 7/23/2017 at 6:55 PM, Clown79 said:

No they aren't. All the necessary minerals have been removed so then you have to replenish them. 

I've dranken (drunken? drank? Drunk? Whatever) a bunch of bad for me stuff. Guess human trials are in order. 

• Like 1
On 7/23/2017 at 9:21 AM, greenlinenshirt said:

My comment about dry rock curing might have gotten lost. Anyone any thoughts on my question?

I would put the rock in a bucket or tub with rodi or distilled with a powerhead running for a few days to week, just to see if any phosphates get pulled out (you'd need a phosphate test kit). If none, dry it out then use it. If it does leach, keep changing water till it doesn't. I think you'd rather check and deal with it that way than fight it in the tank. Even without visible organics on it, phosphate can still be in it. 

Just about all dry rock is mined in Florida and you never know what will happen, unless it's specifically marketed as 'cured' like the reefcleaners rock. 

I found the Reef Saver rock to be pretty dusty, it turned my water milky white after a couple days lol.  So I dumped it, rinsed and soaked again in distilled for a few days before rinsing and adding to tank.  YMMV.  I don't test so I have no idea if phosphates were leached or not but I have enough macros that it doesn't seem to have been an issue lol.

• 2 weeks later...
greenlinenshirt

I am very close to getting my dry rock, but first I need my RODI Filter.

I am debating between, 4 and 5 stage on BRS

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75gpd-4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-stage-75gpd-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

I feel like my water is pretty good in terms of taste, but who am I (not a fish) ... so I am not sure.

How much better is a 5 stage vs 4 stage.

socaljayhawk
5 minutes ago, greenlinenshirt said:

I am very close to getting my dry rock, but first I need my RODI Filter.

I am debating between, 4 and 5 stage on BRS

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75gpd-4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-stage-75gpd-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

I feel like my water is pretty good in terms of taste, but who am I (not a fish) ... so I am not sure.

How much better is a 5 stage vs 4 stage.

If I recall, it depends if your city water uses chlorine or chloramines. Id check your city water report and decide. I ended up with the 5 stage due to my city using chloramines. Their video does a good job explaining it, better then I can.

cfaye@Delaware

Until your RO/DI unit comes in, that picture you showed of the Great Value water looks like it came from Walmart. I have been using Walmart distilled water and no problems yet. I will also use Food Lion distilled water. For my live rock I used uncured, I let the tank run a good month with live sand and live rock, nothing else in tank. Did water changes and would run the light, just a small amount. I'm very new at this so my info may not be good. I just had to post when I saw the gallon water jug. 

34 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Until your RO/DI unit comes in, that picture you showed of the Great Value water looks like it came from Walmart. I have been using Walmart distilled water and no problems yet. I will also use Food Lion distilled water. For my live rock I used uncured, I let the tank run a good month with live sand and live rock, nothing else in tank. Did water changes and would run the light, just a small amount. I'm very new at this so my info may not be good. I just had to post when I saw the gallon water jug. 

The jug in the pic  is purified water, its just spring water for drinking.

Distilled is pure water and fine to use.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
greenlinenshirt

So far I have bought/ordered tank, protein skimmer, heater, RODI 5 stage setup, and dry rock. 

I found out out I have another $200 to get some more salt water gear.

My main things are:

Power Head

Refractometer

Salt Water Master Test Kit

Anything else major I need? What brand/model do you recommend?

When Im ready to start my cycle:

Sand (most likely live)

Salt

As several others have echoed, I have exclusively only used various types of distilled water for the past 3 years with zero issues.  Candy canes even went from 8 heads to over 75 in that amount of time.  

Distilled just as good as anything else.

• Like 2
greenlinenshirt

Well I got my RODI setup and im "priming it" for an hour.  I need to get a tester to make sure my output it 0 something (forget the 3 letter thing) I also want to get a pressure thing  at some point.

i also got my dry rock. I'm a little disappointed but at least I don't have a ton of options for aqua scaping. I only got 2 peices. I still need to weigh it. Maybe I'll break the large peoce.

i need to clean/soak this rock before starting my tank up. I was going to sock it in just RODI water for a few days then maybe salt water RODI a few more days. Maybe a bleach/acid bath but I can't do it outside so doubtful that will hPpen.

being this is going into a new tank what are everyone's recommendations. I've done a lot of reading and I'm still confused.

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

17 minutes ago, greenlinenshirt said:

Well I got my RODI setup and im "priming it" for an hour.  I need to get a tester to make sure my output it 0 something (forget the 3 letter thing) I also want to get a pressure thing  at some point.

i also got my dry rock. I'm a little disappointed but at least I don't have a ton of options for aqua scaping. I only got 2 peices. I still need to weigh it. Maybe I'll break the large peoce.

i need to clean/soak this rock before starting my tank up. I was going to sock it in just RODI water for a few days then maybe salt water RODI a few more days. Maybe a bleach/acid bath but I can't do it outside so doubtful that will hPpen.

being this is going into a new tank what are everyone's recommendations. I've done a lot of reading and I'm still confused.

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

I'd break those rocks up, they're so large it would be hard to do much with them.

greenlinenshirt

Well I got it soaking in RODI water (no salt, water flow or heater) just giving it a few days to soak. Then I'll do a salt water bath with a heater and power head/pump for a few days for soak #2. My test kit should be here tommorow. Is the the only thing I'm testing for phosphates?

IMG_0307.JPG

On 7/18/2017 at 6:13 AM, greenlinenshirt said:

So I made a journal thread but I think this is a better area to ask questions / get advice on things I haven't decided / purchased yet.

So I'm still debating on a tank.

i was pretty set on the Fluval Evo 13.5 but I don't know.

Space is a premium for me. I also like the idea of easy add ons later. I love that there is a protein skimmer that's made for it.

would you guys say the evo XII is a good choice? What other tanks should I consider in the 5-15g size range and why?

Are you looking for a tank just for corals, inverts, or are there fish you have in mind as well?  When you go under 20 gallons it severely limits your options for fish and under 10 is almost too small for any saltwater fish.  Furthermore the smaller you go, you have to watch your water parameters  like a hawk and more frequent water changes.  My tank is a 36 gallon bowfront and I kind of wish I went with a 55 to start given the limitations on fish.   You might be able to go with a larger tank if you get the right dimensions.  What are the dimensions of the space you have available as that might help us steer you in the right direction.    

On 8/21/2017 at 10:04 PM, greenlinenshirt said:

Well I got it soaking in RODI water (no salt, water flow or heater) just giving it a few days to soak. Then I'll do a salt water bath with a heater and power head/pump for a few days for soak #2. My test kit should be here tommorow. Is the the only thing I'm testing for phosphates?

IMG_0307.JPG

I'd probably do a couple of soaks in the RODI water before switching to salt, personally.  Not sure on your question since I don't test lol.

On 8/23/2017 at 5:39 PM, Jesterrace said:

Are you looking for a tank just for corals, inverts, or are there fish you have in mind as well?  When you go under 20 gallons it severely limits your options for fish and under 10 is almost too small for any saltwater fish.  Furthermore the smaller you go, you have to watch your water parameters  like a hawk and more frequent water changes.  My tank is a 36 gallon bowfront and I kind of wish I went with a 55 to start given the limitations on fish.   You might be able to go with a larger tank if you get the right dimensions.  What are the dimensions of the space you have available as that might help us steer you in the right direction.    

There's actually a fair number of fish that can be put in sub-20 and sub-10 gallon tanks.  Granted, most are gobies, blennies, or small clowns but even within those families, there is a huge variety out there, and also symbiotic pairings like shrimp/goby pairs.  There's also a large number of fascinating inverts that are easier to observe in a small tank versus a larger one.  Like I noted above, I don't test and haven't in years (I have a 5.5 gallon and 3 gallon at present, and have never had larger).  My strategy is to go slow and watch what the tank inhabitants are doing--their behavior will tell you a lot!  And weekly or every other week do a water change (ideally).  BTW, :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

• 3 weeks later...
greenlinenshirt

I asked this in my journal post, but thought this might be a better place to ask..

Well I soaked my dry rock for 1 week in RODI, then I soaked it in RODI/Salt Water with Heater & Power Head for 2 weeks.

Here are my current results after the two weeks of this water.

How close 0 ppm do I need to get to for Phosphate before I can start my actual cycle in my tank instead of just cleaning rock?

Should I start now? or should I do another week or more getting as close to 0ppm as possible?

IMG_0342.thumb.JPG.a49b583c64ed0aa29fb64f88c6a39505.jpg

IMG_0343.thumb.JPG.e300a72150d0d4064f05ab96b0f4f340.jpg

• 2 months later...
greenlinenshirt

Well on black friday I decided my dry rock soaked long enough. I got my tank going. I used live sand and rodi water. And reef crystals salt. Been checking ammonia every night... I know it can take a long time and I'm okay with waiting (I used dry rock lol) but will it spike with just live sand? Do I need to add a dead shrimp or just keep waiting?

MVIMG_20171201_212312.jpg

On 12/1/2017 at 9:27 PM, greenlinenshirt said:

Well on black friday I decided my dry rock soaked long enough. I got my tank going. I used live sand and rodi water. And reef crystals salt. Been checking ammonia every night... I know it can take a long time and I'm okay with waiting (I used dry rock lol) but will it spike with just live sand? Do I need to add a dead shrimp or just keep waiting?

MVIMG_20171201_212312.jpg

Might want to add some ammonia such as Dr. Tim's to help start the cycle, not 100% sure if live sand will give enough to get it going.  You can use shrimp but I'd put in a bag or something so you can remove it so it doesn't pollute the tank too much.