Pod Your Reef

Salt Water Questions

greenlinenshirt

greenlinenshirt

So I made a journal thread but I think this is a better area to ask questions / get advice on things I haven't decided / purchased yet.

So I'm still debating on a tank.

i was pretty set on the Fluval Evo 13.5 but I don't know.

Space is a premium for me. I also like the idea of easy add ons later. I love that there is a protein skimmer that's made for it.

would you guys say the evo XII is a good choice? What other tanks should I consider in the 5-15g size range and why?

Nuvo makes a few smaller tanks and are sleek. May look into those. They also make a lot of upgrades and additions you can add the the filtration area for better results. They make a skimmer to fit the chamber, filter socks, upgraded pumps, media baskets etc...

• Like 1
greenlinenshirt

I've been looking at a few of the nuvos... fusion 10 mostly. But I wasn't sure if they sold a protein skimmer designed for it. I also didn't like the open hood of it it. But now that I look more closely it's not open there is a hood. What about a P.S?

I like the design of the fluval. I'd like one myself.

You could remove the hood and upgrade the light in future.

im's are nice as well.

Both have the ability to upgrade pumps, add media baskets and small skimmers.

You don't need a skimmer on a nano tank, most nano skimmers have bad reputations. 

I have a standard 15g with hob and I have a 10g IM.

I personally prefer the dimensions of the standard rectangle to cube. 

With the IM you have a screen top ( you want something to prevent jumpers)

I ripped out the original screen and replaced it with one that diffused less light.

I purchased an upgraded media basket and upgraded the pump as the original was very weak.

With the fluval you get lighting which is good for lps and softies. The hood can be removed and a mesh top made for it with an upgraded light

You can make a media basket as most do and run custom media in it

Some upgrade the pump some don't

greenlinenshirt

I have been going back and forth on this for a while, and think I should stick with my initial choice after 1st set of research and get the Fluval 12. I'm going I need water and I refuse to buy it.

What recommendations do you guys have in terms of an RO-DI at home filter. I'm looking for low cost but safe/quality water.

i know the two things don't always go together but I'd love some options/opinions.

2 hours ago, greenlinenshirt said:

That is RO water

Indeed it is. But it's not just water. The RO process does not remove all impurities. That's what the DI does, it finishes the job that the RO started. I second @Clown79, I just buy distilled water. The distillation process also removes all impurities.

Edit: Don't shop at Walmart. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

No. Drinking water is just treated tap.

You want distilled or ro/di

Technically RODI made at home is still just treated tap water, just treated better amiright ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Technically RODI made at home is still just treated tap water, just treated better amiright ;)

Well ya. I meant that spring water really isn't beneficial at all besides for drinking. It's like RO water. Safe to drink not safe for our reefs.

• Like 1

Used to be people said RO/DI>distilled>RO as a last option, but I think people mostly say distilled and RO/DI are equivalent.  I buy the purple top jugs from Walmart of distilled water, or get it other places (sorry 1891bro lol).

• Like 1

I understand @greenlinenshirt on the refusal to buy water. On a tank that size, 5-13.5 isn't the investment of buying water worth the peace of mind? 

Now I'm speaking as new and only 1 tank, 6.6 gal, the minimal gas and effort to me going to my LFS where my original water, rock, sand, came from is nothing compared to what $ I have in there after only 6 weeks. 

I don't/won't sweat my personal mix, it's not perfect buying from my original source, but a whole ton better and safer then what I could do myself. 

For $1 a gallon and factor in gas, my peace of mind is worth it. 

greenlinenshirt

I'll def consider going with LFS water in the beginning to get going. I'm pretty confident I also want to go with Dry Rock online.

Is it really crucial to "cure" the dry rock in a bucket for a month or can it "cure" in the tank while the tank is cycling? I'm not against "cleaning/rinsing" the dry rock but isn't the point it's dead ... why do I need to keep it in a bucket for a month?

RayWhisperer

A note on distilled water. Not all distilled water is equal, either. There is distilled, and there is ozone distilled. Two totally different things. Stay away from ozone distilled.

2 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

A note on distilled water. Not all distilled water is equal, either. There is distilled, and there is ozone distilled. Two totally different things. Stay away from ozone distilled.

All the bottles I have seen say I ozone distilled and I've used it for 2yrs with no issues.

Ozone distilled is the same process as distilled except for The last step where oxygen is added for purification. Once it goes through the whole process, its pure water. 

2 hours ago, Mark1313 said:

I understand @greenlinenshirt on the refusal to buy water. On a tank that size, 5-13.5 isn't the investment of buying water worth the peace of mind? 

Now I'm speaking as new and only 1 tank, 6.6 gal, the minimal gas and effort to me going to my LFS where my original water, rock, sand, came from is nothing compared to what $ I have in there after only 6 weeks. 

I don't/won't sweat my personal mix, it's not perfect buying from my original source, but a whole ton better and safer then what I could do myself. 

For $1 a gallon and factor in gas, my peace of mind is worth it. 

Imo you take more risk buying lfs water than making your own 

You really don't know how well their ro/di system is maintained if it's actually ro/di  as a lot of stores only use ro.

If buying premixed lfs water they can change the salts according to what stock they have, salinity changes etc.

Mixing your own give you quality control.

RayWhisperer
15 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

All the bottles I have seen say I donated and I've used it for 2yrs with no issues.

Autocorrect got you. Are you saying you use ozone distilled?

Edit; ahh, I've got you now. Another misconception from parroted advice cleared up. In all honesty, I've never used distilled, or ozone distilled. I'm guilty of parroting faulty advice. #### me running. :(

• Like 2

Ty 

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

All the bottles I have seen say I ozone distilled and I've used it for 2yrs with no issues.

Ozone distilled is the same process as distilled except for The last step where oxygen is added for purification. Once it goes through the whole process, its pure water. 

Imo you take more risk buying lfs water than making your own 

You really don't know how well their ro/di system is maintained if it's actually ro/di  as a lot of stores only use ro.

If buying premised lfs water they can change the salts according to what stock they have, salinity changes etc.

Mixing your own give you quality control.

Ty, words of wisdom and experience. Neither of which I currently have. I'll learn and improve. 

The one and only reason I mentioned buying LFS water is because for my small tank they pull it out of their demo tank. I don't get the backroom stuff. 

Didn't put two and two together  the change in stock, changes me. 

Again thx

1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

Edit; ahh, I've got you now. Another misconception from parroted advice cleared up. In all honesty, I've never used distilled, or ozone distilled. I'm guilty of parroting faulty advice. #### me running. :(

I got a new phone and it auto corrects everything, even correct words.

It's driving me nuts! 

The amount of time editing threads/replies  has been nuts.

2 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

I did some research on distilled. 

Distilled is steam distilled only.

Ozone distilled is steam distilled with ozone. The ozone kills bacteria and viruses. 

1 hour ago, Mark1313 said:

Ty 

Ty, words of wisdom and experience. Neither of which I currently have. I'll learn and improve. 

The one and only reason I mentioned buying LFS water is because for my small tank they pull it out of their demo tank. I don't get the backroom stuff. 

Didn't put two and two together  the change in stock, changes me. 

Again thx

There are concerns. There may be nothing wrong but one thought of using their displays tank water is anything that may be in it like parasites, that could be transferred to your tank. 

The dry rock is dead but contains dead organisms that will decompose. I guess you could do it in the tank but it may smell bad and you may need to change the water frequently. It may be a nitrogen overload in terms of cycling.

About the RO- drinking water earlier in the post. If it is realy just RO or RODI, wouldn't that be unhealthy to consume?

7 hours ago, greenlinenshirt said:

My comment about dry rock curing might have gotten lost. Anyone any thoughts on my question?

You can just cycle it in the tank with dosing ammonia and bacteria.