Innovative Marine Aquariums

Additional livestock suggestions

coralreef20g

coralreef20g

What's up guys,

I've had my 20 gallon rsm nano running for 4 months now. At the moment my livestock consists of a pair of clowns (a black ice and a gladiator) and a fire shrimp. I run a pretty assiduous maintenance routine on my tank so my nitrate levels always read around 0-2ppm.

Considering my clowns swim in the open water column of the display, I'd want to add two more fish to use the "negative space". One who would be more of a bottom dweller, perhaps a yellow watchman goby? Secondly, I'd want a fish who would swim around the rockwork and be an overall character/ joy to watch in general, as a result of this I feel a wrasse would be appropriate. I was thinking maybe a sixline? 

What do do you guys think? I'm open to any and all suggestions

thanks!

6 line needs bigger than 20g. They can become aggressive, especially in small spaces.

A blenny would be a good addition with lots of character. 

• Like 1

Possum wrasse are another type of wrasse that are suitable for nanos. In my tank I have a geometric pygmy hawkfish and an orchid dottyback for rock dwellers. The hawkfish isn't actually a hawkfish and is more closely related to anthias. It's a cool fish but I'm hesitant to recommend it as mine still hasn't taken prepared food after over a month of having it plus I'm not sure how invert safe it is, if your fire shrimp is larger than it though I would think it would be okay but I'm not completely sure as I don't have any shrimp. I've had my orchid dottyback for about 2 weeks now and he's very entertaining to watch and took over my old grammas burrow. Similar to my old royal gramma in personality but a more active and bold, it also doesn't bully my clowns like the gramma did. Although he is still young and noticeably smaller than them. Most people say they're reef safe but it's still a dottyback so I'd be cautious. Basslets from the gramma and lipogramma genus are also a nice rock dweller option but can be shy. My gramma excavated a nice size burrow and became very outgoing after a couple months just make sure you have a top, I learned that the hard way :(

13 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Dottybacks and royal grammas are pricks. HTH.

I think it varies fish to fish and the order you add them in. My gramma was my first fish and was territorial, the dottyback who I added recently has been an angel so far as far as I can tell.

Nixperience

My royal gramma is a big puss and stays in a cave all the time. He pops out to grab a bit of food and any fish that comes near, he just darts back inside. I think he might eventually starve because he's such a puss unless he's eating stuff in the cave somehow.