Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Largest HOB filter possible for a 2.5G MINIBOW? Looking for FUGE solution

Dennis_said

Hey guys, I have heard of a Aquaclear300 being possible to fit onto a 2.5g... will it fit on a 2.5g minibow? HAs anybody have any experience w/ this? Or is there anything bigger? I'm looking for more water volume and flow pretty much

THANKS in ADVANCE!

I have an AC 300 on my 2.5 AGA, but don't think that helps you in your question. It has a Mini Impeller to help slow down the flow, but it is still a bit strong.

5 1/4

I'm not sure the dimensions of the AquaClear 300, but since I have the MiniBow 2.5 I can tell you the amount of space you have for the filter... just about 5 1/4 inches. Hope this helps.

The AC 300 is 8.5" long side to side. It sits about 2" on top of the lip of the tank. If you already have the 2.5 mini bow, you could go to petsmart or petco and buy the AC 300 and check if there is enough room, then return it with receipt if you don't want it. :)

Mothi you're right! Or I can just go to Petsmart and ask if I can try to fit the AC300 to the MB2.5 =)

But I was curious if anybody has any experience w/ this to save me the trouble :)

Easier to just buy a mini impeller, if you can get one. :) This way if you want to use the AC 300 on another tank later, you have the intact impeller. I run a AC 300 on my 2.5g AGA with a Mini Impeller. The AC 300 is modded to have a fuge and the heater is in another compartment. You can adjust the flow down a little more too if needed.

Great point :)

Are teh dimensions for the AGA 2.5 different than the Minibow dimensions?

The MB btw is my gf's tank, and she's just getting started in the hobby... I'm just here to find ways to make it a better experience ;)

Aw man! I dunno if an AC300 would even fit on a MB then!

Fish freak says the length is 5.25'' but from what I remember, it can't be that small!! =-o

Originally posted by Dennis_said

Aw man! I dunno if an AC300 would even fit on a MB then!

Fish freak says the length is 5.25'' but from what I remember, it can't be that small!! =-o

5.25" is the size allocated in the stock hood for the HOB filter. If you don't make any mods to the stock hood, and still want to use the stock hood, then this is all you got.

Originally posted by Dennis_said

Ah nice, the hood is actually removed for the sake of the 2x9 Corallife light :)

Just eggcrate up there now :)

I have a single 50/50 20W in my stock hood right now. I had to make some mods to get it to fit. I am not very happy with the uneven distribution of light though. There is a 2/3 brighter area on the left side of the tank. What are you planning on using as a hood replacement on your Minibow?

Also, I am using a AC mini on my tank. I am thinking of modding it to cut down on the water flow. The LR in there breaks down the current to where it only slightly disrupts the LS in it but it is still too much flow.

WOw, it's hard for me to imagine the AC MINI to be so powerful!!

Pappucho, my gf doesn't have a canopy at all, it's just a piece of eggcrate across the top of the MB w/ the lighting fixture sitting on top of it...

flamtank.jpg

You can see from that image right there :)

Getting back to the AC HOB filters... if I can't find an impeller from a mini... of even if the mini is just too strong... filing will work right?

Also I am assuming if I am going to have my gf use it as a fuge that a baffle will restrict flow quite a bit no?

Thanks!

And a pic of the AC Mini on back. It's actually has alot more flow than I expected. It manages to disturb the internal LS a bit as well as the tank LS that is directly in front of the flow by the front. I am going to experiment with building a mini baffle somehow inside the AC as well as possibly trimming (filing) the propeller.

The mini looks great sitting there! I fear the AC300 might be a bit too large for the minibow now! Looks good!

The reasoning behind the AC300 would be the greater water volume... how much GPH does the Mini produce? I'm sure a baffel will fix it all up!

Just a sidenote..

I have a mere RedSea Nano Filter on my minibow 2.5

It is rated for tanks/vases up to 3 gallons. This little adjustable filter is enough to create a vast "hole" in the sand in a matter on minutes. HOpe when I put some live rock in there it will break the flow a bit.

Here is a picture of the AC 300 on my 2.5 AGA.

pico_05.jpg

I am guessing from the picture posted with the MB 2.5g with the Mini, that an AC 300 would probably not fit as well. I used the AC 300 because of the added water volume. I had enough room in the back where I can add the fan for the lights and the auto top-off.

Here is the AC modded.

pico_08.jpg

Mothi (BTW Nice to see other Seahorse.orgers on here) B)

Where'd you find that 2.5? Is that the one they sell at PetSmart? I was pondering getting that, but decided against it since I'd need to buy a hood (for some reason the ones they sold as specifically made for them didn't fit??) and a light. Since this was going downstairs in the family room it needed to be sharp and tidy looking, so i opted for the 2.5 minibow.

Anyhoo, looks nice, I think I will get my liverock today, it is so dull without any!

If you dn't mind me asking, what were the modifications to your AC 300?

Also, what fish/inverts if any do you plan to keep?

Originally posted by Fish Freak

I was pondering getting that, but decided against it since I'd need to buy a hood (for some reason the ones they sold as specifically made for them didn't fit??) and a light. Since this was going downstairs in the family room it needed to be sharp and tidy looking, so i opted for the 2.5 minibow.

Fish Freak, check out the custom hoods that are currently being offered in the for sale section here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=38421

If I would've known about these before getting the Minibow, I probably would've gotten the AGA instead.

Dennis_Said, the AC Mini is rated at 100 GPH and is designed for aquariums up to 20 gallons. I also have an AC 50 (200) that I bought for my 30 gallon. It's small enough to fit on the MB but not with the stock hood.

Hey pappucho, sounds perfect, the stock hood on her MB is gone, cuz the corrallife 2x9 fixture is at the top... which is great!

Have you had a chance to try the AC200 on your MB? And was there enough room left over? I would love to go w/ the biggest size possible (AC300 :))

I'm surprised nobody has chimed in w/ this setup yet!

One last question pappucho... do you have a baffle in that AC Mini for your MB?

Thanks!

Archived