SaltCritters.com

Tiny Ocean 2.0 Fluval Evo 13.5

TinyOcean

In other news...I'm getting a diatom outbreak(sigh) it was expected since this is technically a "new" tank and I've had to ramp up the feeding.

20170727_215044.jpg

Sunday can't come soon enough. That's when I plan to head to the lfs to pick up my army of snails, a couple more hermits, possibly a bristle star if they have one and corals of course. My tank has never had so much brown lol damn Norbert for eating all the Stomatella! 

• Like 1
Just now, Friendly said:

reduce your phosphates?  :huh:

Lol I'm running phosguard as we speak but I know it's just the tank breaking in. It's normal to get the "bloom" before everything settles. I'm not too worried.

Just now, Lugmos12 said:

mine is getting like a reddish/pinkish outbreak too lol

Its the "bloom"! It may turn brown. It's kinda yucky but it will go away in a week or 2. I've only ever had them last a week.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TinyOcean said:

Its the "bloom"! It may turn brown. It's kinda yucky but it will go away in a week or 2. I've only ever had them last a week.

Good luck! Mine lasted more like two months in my 40g. It finally went away after I got pretty aggressive with GFO and/or PhosphateRx.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Good luck! Mine lasted more like two months in my 40g. It finally went away after I got pretty aggressive with GFO and/or PhosphateRx.

Thanks! I may try those if this looks like in going to carry on for awhile. 

• Like 1

So it is with a heavy heart I must report the passing of my girl Bogart the black and white Ocellaris. I noticed three days ago her fins were a bit ragged and she was sitting on the bottom. I pulled her immediately thinking it might be bacterial and put her into QT with malachite green until I could figure out what it was. She perked up right away and ate and seemed to be much better yesterday but this morning I found she had passed on to the big ocean in the sky. I have done a large water change and am keeping an eye on Humphrey and Norbert just in case but I'm not too sure if it wasn't Norbert's doing in the first place.

• Sad 2

Update time! So I have learned zoas are a nono in this tank I have only one polyp left thanks to Norbert thinking they are snacks. Lucky he's so cute. 

So I figured I would try some green paly's instead.

20170812_150534.jpg

20170812_150524.jpg

The lone survivor.

20170812_150506.jpg

This guy though!

20170812_161903.jpg

• Like 4

Ermaaaagawd! Norbert is such a pest! Lol. I've decided to go a different route with this tank then I had planned since my underwater puppy has decided that corals are yummy! I'm thinking I'm going to get two pieces of Favia and have them on either side of the tank. A neon pink nem, another hammer and two frogspawn and call it done! Haha

• Like 1

So friends I have a question. With favia or favites do you have to have them flat on the sand or can I lean them against the rocks so you can see them better?

11 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

So friends I have a question. With favia or favites do you have to have them flat on the sand or can I lean them against the rocks so you can see them better?

Either is fine, in my experience.

I had no idea that those kind of Puffers ate some corals!!

Like you said, good thing he's cute. 

I'm sorry you lost Bogart. 

• Like 1

Sympathies on your loss.

I think you can place them vertical or flat so long s they are not going to nosedive into the sand if bumped.  Maybe epoxied into place?  Do you go to fragbox or canada corals? nice pieces online, but spendy, although this hobby is anyway..:rolleyes:

Nice additions! I'm sorry about Bogie and Norbert's new taste for zoas, though. I've mounted favia sideways without too much trouble, but of course it all depends on what lighting they get. You'll probably get different colors and growth between the bottom and the top but that's interesting to see anyway.