inTank Media Baskets

Tiny Ocean 2.0 Fluval Evo 13.5

TinyOcean

Hello everyone. Some of you may have seen my Fluval edge 6 that has been up for 7 months. Well i have now decided to upgrade it to the Fluval evo 13.5g.

20170724_192355_zpsan1tbukp.jpg

Equipment : 

Lights=Stock

Filter=Stock plus filter floss

Heater=Marineland 50w

Pump=Hydor koralia nano 240

Liverock=13 pounds

Livestock:

One Ocellaris clown (Humphrey)

1 blue dot puffer (Norbert)

3 blue legged hermit crabs  (Skuttlebutt , Skittles, Unnamed)

2 Asterina star fish

2 Nassarius snails ( Snoofle and Hufflepuff ) 

2 Astrea Snails

1 filter feeding clam

Corals : 

5 Kenya tree's

GSP

Red mushrooms

Green mushrooms 

One purple mushroom

Two hammer corals

Favia

Blasto

Green paly's

One zoa left (Thanks Norbert :angry:) lol

Losses :

Black and white Ocellaris  (RIP Bogart ) 

Zoas

Planned stock :

Two Frogspawn

Another hammer coral

Two Acans

One Duncan 

Two blastos 

Possibly a plating montipora 

• Like 4

Ok so I think I've figured out how I'm going to do this and if anyone has any better ideas please feel free to share.

I'm going to drain almost all of the water from the 6 gallon into buckets. One will hold the fish and hermit, one will hold the live rock and coral and the other will hold the snails and Stomatella.

Next I'm going to fill the Evo with new sand and add 2 cups from the old tank on top. 

I will then fill the tank up a bit with new mixed water and old water from the live rock bucket. After that I will place the live rock and coral. I will then fill tank again from snail bucket and put those in. 

Lastly will be the fish bucket into the tank. I am then going to take the media out of the Edge and put it into the Evo and turn all pumps on and then leave the tank dark for a day to help everyone settle in.

Omg I hope this works! Lol

• Like 3

It should be ok.  You may have a mini-cycle, just be prepared with Prime and extra water for water changes. Tank transfers are less risky than moves which have to do the same thing but over a distance lol.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

It should be ok.  You may have a mini-cycle, just be prepared with Prime and extra water for water changes. Tank transfers are less risky than moves which have to do the same thing but over a distance lol.

Thanks! Good call on having extra water p remade. 

• Like 1

So I did it! Transfer went well except all the corals are super angry so the current FTS sucks but as soon as everything is opened up I'll take better pics. 

I added another 8 pounds of live rock to it on top of the 4 I took from the edge. 

20170724_192355_zpsan1tbukp.jpg 

I also picked up a mate for Bogart so introducing Humphrey and Bogart.

20170723_125935_zpsu8leiawt.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, TinyOcean said:

And introducing the pride and joy of this tank....Norbert! But my husband calls in Zelda lol.

20170723_130336_zps1klncwd4.jpg

Norbert is sooo cute!!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Norbert is sooo cute!!!

Thanks! He is super friendly too and him and the clowns get along great so far.

• Like 2

So far the light on this tank seems pretty good and things are starting to slowly unfurl. 

The mushrooms are still pretty pissed but I find they have always taken days to open up after a water change and I guess a tank transfer can be considered a big water change lol.

20170724_182309_zpsrrb2exsc.jpg

Baby Kenyas and the poor GSP they have taken over. Also Humphrey because he loves the camera!

20170724_191209_zpsk9ucbnft.jpg

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

I want a kenya tree and a Norbert :haha:

Well the Kenya tree I can help you with since I have 5 extra! And Norbert is a blue dot puffer also called a sharp nosed Toby . Dooo it! Lol

• Like 1

The tank is beautiful, and I love love love Norbert! :wub:

I was looking for a blue dot puffer when I first decided to get a Toby puffer, but I couldn't find any locally. So when Divers Den started carrying leopard toby puffers, that's how I got my Doug. Norbert is beautiful!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

The tank is beautiful, and I love love love Norbert! :wub:

I was looking for a blue dot puffer when I first decided to get a Toby puffer, but I couldn't find any locally. So when Divers Den started carrying leopard toby puffers, that's how I got my Doug. Norbert is beautiful!

Thank you! That means alot coming from such an accomplished reefer such as yourself. I have always wanted a puffer and after reading so much on your beautiful Doug I looked into Tobys and decided I could possibly keep one in this size of tank. I just got stupidly lucky when I went into my lfs and there he was!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Great looking tank.

I love Norbert.

I would love a puffer!

So are you gonna redo the 6g and have 2 nano's??

Thank you! Yes I love him too. He's my underwater puppy!

For the edge I think I'm going to keep for a frag tank because I might need one. My Kenya tree is a baby making machine.

• Like 1

I can't see your latest photo for some reason. :( 

Love Norbert, he's adorable! I didn't think we could keep puffers. I've been thinking of adding one more fish in my 20. I would love to have a Norbert of my very own. :)

1 hour ago, Minidoll said:

I can't see your latest photo for some reason. :( 

Love Norbert, he's adorable! I didn't think we could keep puffers. I've been thinking of adding one more fish in my 20. I would love to have a Norbert of my very own. :)

Oh no! It's that darn photobucket lol. What is everyone using for sharing their photo's?  Yes you could keep a Norbert but he will eat any snails or shrimp you may have.