SaltCritters.com

Faulty test or something else?

Melfy77

So 2 weeks ago I set up my 8g nano reef tank using cured LR, check my water,and both ammonia and nitrites were at 0. So  yesterday I added one tiny black ocellaris and some coral frags. This morning I tested my water and registered 2ppm of ammonia!!!! So panic set in, but my fish was fine, so were all my frags. I changed a bit pf water and added some purigen. Well decided to test again 5 minutes later and ammonia was at 0 again...what the heck? Clearly that didn't make sense because everything looked fine. And with 2mg/L it shouldnt...

So i'm confused...surely either the test was wrong or that purigen is ridiculously strong... water looks a little cloudy but otherwise things look ok, fish, corals and snails. I use API tests. Maybe something contaminated my tube...purigen in the bag was the same color as when I put it in.

What are your thoughts?

Update: realized I use the same turkey baster I use for feeding...so my guess is that there was some stuff left in it...facepalm lol