Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll
16 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

woah...that's crazy.  maybe it's helping you by eating the sexy shrimp before the shrimp eats your other corals... =P

Do sexys eat corals?  Thought they were pretty tame?

Thrassian Atoll

Damn, reading up more on them it seems they can munch on some stuff now and then. I guess I will have to keep an eye out on them.  

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
13 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

They love zoas is what I keep reading

I won't have any zoas.  This will be sps dominant with zero softies.  I saw that they can munch on acro flesh though.  :scarry:

3 hours ago, TILTON said:

Woke up this morning to a freebie candy cane coral I got yesterday eating my sexy shrimp!!  ?.  I didn't even want the damn coral, but it was free so I threw it I. The corner of the tank.  

Why are the sexies even near it?  You can see another one hanging out under it.  I pulled the shrimp out a little bit but he was a goner.

IMG_1266.JPG

Revenge is what it is :D.  Sexy shrimp are little shits ;).

• Haha 3
Thrassian Atoll
19 minutes ago, gena said:

Revenge is what it is :D.  Sexy shrimp are little shits ;).

It's really made me think about them not being good to be in there now to begin with.  

A lot of people seem seem to have them.  I guess it was one of the things I had not researched a ton for.  Definitely have to be more diligent with any more purchases.   

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TILTON said:

It's really made me think about them not being good to be in there now to begin with.  

A lot of people seem seem to have them.  I guess it was one of the things I had not researched a ton for.  Definitely have to be more diligent with any more purchases.   

I think they are alright if there is no coral they like to munch on.  So nems and whatnot lol.  And some never munch at all.  I'd just pay attention.  Pom pom crabs are usually peaceful but I had one that was a terror lol.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think they are alright if there is no coral they like to munch on.  So nems and whatnot lol.  And some never munch at all.  I'd just pay attention.  Pom pom crabs are usually peaceful but I had one that was a terror lol.

I want a Pom Pom too.  Lol.  

2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow how crazy, I've never seen a candy cane coral eat a tankmate shrimp! Did you let it eat the whole thing after you tried to remove it?

I know, less than 24 hours of putting it in my tank too.  

Of course I gave it back to him.  He earned it.  ?

IMG_1267.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, TILTON said:

I want a Pom Pom too.  Lol.  

I know, less than 24 hours of putting it in my tank too.  

Of course I gave it back to him.  He earned it.  ?

IMG_1267.JPG

I think 95% of the time, pom poms are fine, just some times...well, they are crabs after all.  Someone on here has a little 2.5 or so pico and had a pom pom and video recorded it dragging baby hermits into its lair.  At one point it had like three baby hermits in its clutches and could barely move! :lol:

Oh and that candy cane better grow some extra sexy heads after that super sexy shrimp snack!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, TILTON said:

The one under the rock won the battle.  Snatched it away from the one in the photo.

That was really cool though.  

IMG_1277.thumb.JPG.b6ab32c81715ab6aed28dc90adcb48b9.JPGIMG_1278.thumb.JPG.114b2b9bad20d4b2571897974b9b3200.JPGIMG_1279.thumb.JPG.846ccb89814975255566c8eb0402515b.JPG

Guess the meal was too sexy for the candy cane! :lol:

• Haha 1
Thrassian Atoll

Bought this from Captain Saltys.  It's a 9 hole corner frag rack.  Well made.  Coated magnets.  It fits perfectly in the back corner of my tank.  It's 5"x5" so it's a decent size.  If I ever want to utalize the sand space, I will get something long and skinny and put under my returns on the back wall.  This is great for now though.

IMG_1288.thumb.JPG.49eb7e174de52d5494939b9be224b533.JPG

• Like 1
On 9/4/2017 at 8:00 AM, TILTON said:

Damn, reading up more on them it seems they can munch on some stuff now and then. I guess I will have to keep an eye out on them.  

Mine eat Zoa polyps from time to time - I have watched one do it.  I have not seen them attack paly's, maybe the toxin?  They also sit on my Monti caps and nibble - the Monti caps recover after a week or so.  Finally, they sometimes sit on my sunset monti and nibble, then several polyps are gone but they recover after a week or so, there is a small patch missing now.   I wish I had something in the tank that would eat the little monsters since my wife won't let me feed them to the leaf fish.

• Haha 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, OldManSea said:

Mine eat Zoa polyps from time to time - I have watched one do it.  I have not seen them attack paly's, maybe the toxin?  They also sit on my Monti caps and nibble - the Monti caps recover after a week or so.  Finally, they sometimes sit on my sunset monti and nibble, then several polyps are gone but they recover after a week or so, there is a small patch missing now.   I wish I had something in the tank that would eat the little monsters since my wife won't let me feed them to the leaf fish.

I won't have any softies in here, so hopefully they don't find a tasting for the sps.  Mine are as dumb as a box of rocks though.  ?  The candy cane ate one and another chills under it.  I would bet he gets eaten too sooner or later.  

Thrassian Atoll

Got this Helfrichi Firefish yesterday from a member breaking down his tank.  He's already warming up to his new home.  He looks awesome.  

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

• Like 4
Thrassian Atoll
32 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's a beautiful fish! Looks like a new frag up top too?

Yeah, there's a few new sps in here.  I'll get some better photos tomorrow with my Canon.   But the newest additions are either a strawberry fields or red planet acro on the bottom.  It was kind of bleached out but a good size.  Hoping it darkens up and the green base becomes more prominent. Also got a cali blue tort up top there.  Hawkins echinata on the right there.  Cats Paw below the green birdsnest.  The one on the back left is a Tazardi Acro that's got a lot of shadowing on it.  It's blue and green. It seems like the only people to call it by this name are the Phoenix folks.  ?.  The only thing on google with this name is from Phoenix reefer posts.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
17 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

Looks like you have a good hardware setup for this tank, looking forward to seeing it fill in.

Thanks!  I appreciate it.  I need to pick up some small acro colonies to help fill the spaces in more, but everything I want is crazy expensive, half an inch, and a slow grower.  ?  

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Some photos of my recent sps purchases.  Do not mind the diatoms.  haha

Cali Blue Tort

IMG_1944.thumb.JPG.ffbb3a40220c7baebe48a77c77dd63c9.JPG

Hawkins Echinata

IMG_1962.thumb.JPG.292e5fb74a82a8a0bf47e0ecf74f4fa6.JPG

Cats Paw

IMG_1967.thumb.JPG.b43670afad876205a8b6ff589642c7fa.JPG

Strawberry Fields

IMG_1956.thumb.JPG.92f1cc4139ea397efbc0da102f3057ee.JPG

• Like 4