ReefCleaners.org

Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll
33 minutes ago, reefroid said:

so how are you dealing with the cyano issue?

I did lights out for a couple of days and it got rid of most of it but it came back within a few days.  Right now I am just keeping an eye on nitrates and phosphates and making sure they stay low.  Doing my normal water changes, skimming wet.  That's about it.  Not sure what else to do.  I don't think lights out will help and I don't want to use chemiclean.  If it gets worse I'll probably have to use some chemiclean or something but right now it's not terrible.  Just on the sand mostly.  

I have great flow too, so I know that's not an issue.  I am thinking it's just new tank syndrome at this point and hoping it goes a way on its own.  

Thrassian Atoll

Posted on another thread but placing here for reference.

Results are in!  After 24 hours of not dosing and after a large water change, here are the numbers.  

Alkalinity:

Start - Hanna 8.2 / Red Sea 8.4

End -             6.7   /   7.0

Calcium:

Start - Red Sea 400

End -         390

Magnesium:

Start - Red Sea 1320

End -          1300

Alkalinity dropped an average of 1.45 DKH, Calcium dropped 10 ppm and Magnesium dropped 10 ppm.   The drop in alkalinity and calcium coincides pretty well to what it's suppose to be.  Here is how much I should be dosing according to the calculator.  I need to raise my calcium up as well to 420~ to balance the alk at around 8.2 ish.  According to the calculator my dosing is not too far off.  Here is the chart.  I don't dose magnesium, but that's a ton to just raise it 20ppm with the ESV magnesium.  

IMG_1649.thumb.PNG.4447269f72e4f8f7678832b3d4608d28.PNG

• Wow 2
8 hours ago, TILTON said:

I did lights out for a couple of days and it got rid of most of it but it came back within a few days.  Right now I am just keeping an eye on nitrates and phosphates and making sure they stay low.  Doing my normal water changes, skimming wet.  That's about it.  Not sure what else to do.  I don't think lights out will help and I don't want to use chemiclean.  If it gets worse I'll probably have to use some chemiclean or something but right now it's not terrible.  Just on the sand mostly.  

I have great flow too, so I know that's not an issue.  I am thinking it's just new tank syndrome at this point and hoping it goes a way on its own.  

Manually remove as much as possible before lights out is a good start, use a turkey Baster and try and suck it up.

I like uv filters I know they arnt too well liked these days. But I still have cyano in the refugium none in my display tank. It won't make it through the uv alive. Remember it is a bacteria technically. 

• Like 1
Reefaddiction

Just curious, are you still using the CO2 scrubber and if so, how much media do you go through? Being that it’s a smaller tank I would imagine that you don’t burn through as much soda lime as a larger tank would.

Have you noticed that it helps your pH significantly?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TILTON said:

I also vote that if the cyano isn't harming your corals, just let it be and don't over react. It should go away as the tank matures more. I spent a whole year fighting cyano, with different things ranging from carbon dosing, to vibrant, to daily water changes, and manual siphoning. This probably worsened things and kept knocking the maturation process out of wack. I eventually gave up, but the cyano receded over the course of a couple of months by itself....

• Like 1

Flow, red light ratio, feeding & phosphate levels are few things to check for cyano,

I end up doing a chemiclean treatment followed by controlled feeding and bringing my mp10 closer to sand bed. Didnt had any cyano outbreak after that.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
20 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

Flow, red light ratio, feeding & phosphate levels are few things to check for cyano,

I end up doing a chemiclean treatment followed by controlled feeding and bringing my mp10 closer to sand bed. Didnt had any cyano outbreak after that.

Would Violets be in the same category as red?  My phosphates are .02 and nitrates 2.  My MP10 blows too much sand around if it's too close to the sand bed.  

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks awesome!

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, gogeta said:

Manually remove as much as possible before lights out is a good start, use a turkey Baster and try and suck it up.

I like uv filters I know they arnt too well liked these days. But I still have cyano in the refugium none in my display tank. It won't make it through the uv alive. Remember it is a bacteria technically. 

I'll suck up as much as I can each night.  I would try a UV light but I don't have any room for another pump back there.

2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

More flow has always helped me with cyano.

-Dave

I have my MP10 maxing out at 75ish percent and don't have any dead spots.  It swirls around the tank pretty well.

1 hour ago, Reefaddiction said:

Just curious, are you still using the CO2 scrubber and if so, how much media do you go through? Being that it’s a smaller tank I would imagine that you don’t burn through as much soda lime as a larger tank would.

Have you noticed that it helps your pH significantly?

I am still using it.  I don't go through a lot of media.  I think it helps.  Keeps it up a point or 2.  You can also use lime water too I think as a c02 scrubber. 

1 hour ago, xiaoxiy said:

I also vote that if the cyano isn't harming your corals, just let it be and don't over react. It should go away as the tank matures more. I spent a whole year fighting cyano, with different things ranging from carbon dosing, to vibrant, to daily water changes, and manual siphoning. This probably worsened things and kept knocking the maturation process out of wack. I eventually gave up, but the cyano receded over the course of a couple of months by itself....

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I think an immature tank will always have some issues until it reaches that year range.  I definitely don't want to throw chemicals at it.

20 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

Would violet be in the same range as red?  I could turn the violets down.  No red leds on the nanobox.  I can go a little lower with my MP10 but too much it makes a tornado out of the sand.

i just went through this with my tank and recently seem to have fixed it.  cyano just on the sand, in areas with plenty of flow.

i would highly recommend vacuuming your sand every time you do a water change. that, and cutting back on coral feeding got rid of my cyano outbreak on the sand.  i tried upping my GFO a bit and it seemed to slightly bleach out my monti cap and setosa so i backed off on that and just attacked the sand more, and then limited my coral feeding to water change day only, and maybe a light feeding midweek.

i have a Mini Tide over my IM10 with the UV channel pretty high still, i don't think that should have anything to do with it.  i did cut back my light cycle an hour as well.  also if you haven't learned yet, the nanobox white channel is really strong, it may help to back those off if anything.

• Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll
23 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i just went through this with my tank and recently seem to have fixed it.  cyano just on the sand, in areas with plenty of flow.

i would highly recommend vacuuming your sand every time you do a water change. that, and cutting back on coral feeding got rid of my cyano outbreak on the sand.  i tried upping my GFO a bit and it seemed to slightly bleach out my monti cap and setosa so i backed off on that and just attacked the sand more, and then limited my coral feeding to water change day only, and maybe a light feeding midweek.

i have a Mini Tide over my IM10 with the UV channel pretty high still, i don't think that should have anything to do with it.  i did cut back my light cycle an hour as well.  also if you haven't learned yet, the nanobox white channel is really strong, it may help to back those off if anything.

Thanks!  Will definitely do the sand vacuuming.  I don't really feed the corals but once in a great while with reefroids.  I might be over feeding the fish a bit.  My yasha is dumb though and hard to feed without the Blenny eating everything first.  

I did find find out that my MP10 gets caked with food and whatever else fairly easily for some reason if some food goes through it.  I am going to have to clean that every water change for sure.  

My light cycle is only 8-9 hours with a 4 hour max peak.  I turned everything down for a little bit, don't want to bleach my new corals, but white max is like 10 right now at the peak and like 5 for the rest.  I have not turned it up passed 25 though at anytime.  

My new light should be coming coming soon hopefully, and I will have to figure out how to run that as well.  Dave is making me an ati hybrid.  So I'll have t5 and led.

• 2 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll

Here are few new Acropora that I have bought from Triton Corals.  I also received a freebie Acro and nice size of Red Dragon as a gift from him!  I really love these rainbows.  I am pretty much out of room now, but should be able to find room if I pick up a Walt Disney or something like that.  Homewrecker would be nice.   haha  

TCSB Power Puff

IMG_2074.thumb.jpg.da4e570bb0c8ff81415bd38ad6882495.jpg

TCSB Wilhemina  Really hard to get a photo of this one but you can see the colors

IMG_2073.thumb.jpg.31813b9aa89774a91acad09e5529e531.jpg

TCSB CopyCat

IMG_2076.thumb.jpg.f8cdf1de6dccc928d13e053717fe7862.jpg

Freebie

IMG_2066.thumb.jpg.285794940c7d34b45a302fe9bc4336a0.jpg

Here is a decent photo of the BadFish from Vivid.  

IMG_2079.thumb.jpg.5f9e1b7da3c21d3b48d2ea4e2a254ac8.jpg

I vacuumed the sand really well yesterday and the cyano is already back.  *sigh*  I will just keep at it every week.  I really hope this stuff will go away on its own.  

IMG_2091.thumb.jpg.6ccea348e4078c7efa59f267e34d146a.jpg

IMG_2061.thumb.jpg.6802fc5226112667dbc354e3a7835099.jpg

IMG_2092.thumb.jpg.5865769952306620d1c6e4298d92aa59.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Thrassian Atoll
55 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

What settings do you run your lights at ?! Everything looks killer as hell !!! 

Did you think about Flucon or Vibrant ?! 

I just bought some acropower I might try.  Still have cyano issues so I might hold off for a while trying it.  I know that and fuel can cause some cyano.  

I run my lights 9 hours a day with 4 hour midday.   My nanobox Led T5 hybrid should be getting done soon, so this will all change. 

IMG_1742.thumb.PNG.0345292842b5a0e11a383dfbd05ba93c.PNG

IMG_1743.thumb.PNG.67a8772c63fad3446689c69313c1808d.PNG

IMG_1744.thumb.PNG.927baa6b4e9fa82c1ce75d1333c94c60.PNG

5 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

looking great, but c'mon there's plenty of room in there!!  :D

Haha, I will find room for a Walt Disney or Homewrecker or something.  There are a couple of spots I could squeeze them in.  I need to see how some of this stuff will grow out and then I'll have more of a perspective on what else I could add.  

haha no i agree, there are a TON of frags in there, now it's time to let them do their thing.  

the excitement of buying slows, and now comes the patience part...

Thrassian Atoll
48 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

haha no i agree, there are a TON of frags in there, now it's time to let them do their thing.  

the excitement of buying slows, and now comes the patience part...

Yup, going to be a snoozer waiting on growth.  ?

nah that's the exciting part too, just different.  it's now your job to help them grow as quickly as possible!  and in the meantime, the imagination that comes with the hours and hours of staring at it and wondering what could be B)

Thrassian Atoll
23 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

nah that's the exciting part too, just different.  it's now your job to help them grow as quickly as possible!  and in the meantime, the imagination that comes with the hours and hours of staring at it and wondering what could be B)

Definitely.  I'll probably try different things like possibly fuel or acropower.  I'll try different light settings and might even try different water parameters like alk and calcium levels and phosphate and nitrate levels.  I'll stay busy and interested with it for sure. 

that's a great part of this hobby, there are a thousand different approaches, methods, and combinations of those to get what you want, you just have to find what works for you.  i can honestly say i have never been bored in any way with this hobby, and i don't think i ever will.  the internet makes it even easier to not get bored because you get to live vicariously through other people's tanks, and learn from their mistakes as well!

speaking of, i just recently bought aquavitro fuel, as i keep reading good things and decided to give it a go.  i've never used an amino acid/vitamin supplement like this before and i can't wait to see if it benefits my tank.  another new thing to try! 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
16 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

that's a great part of this hobby, there are a thousand different approaches, methods, and combinations of those to get what you want, you just have to find what works for you.  i can honestly say i have never been bored in any way with this hobby, and i don't think i ever will.  the internet makes it even easier to not get bored because you get to live vicariously through other people's tanks, and learn from their mistakes as well!

speaking of, i just recently bought aquavitro fuel, as i keep reading good things and decided to give it a go.  i've never used an amino acid/vitamin supplement like this before and i can't wait to see if it benefits my tank.  another new thing to try! 

Couldn't have said it better myself!  I am definitely interested how the fuel goes.  Start with half the dose for sure.  I have heard good things about it too but heard in most cases a full dose will cause algae issues.  

I'll start the acropower once my cyano is gone.  I ordered all new RODI filters and a new membrane and a boost a pump.  My TDS is right around 3, and I am hoping that might be part of the issue with the cyano.  New filters can't hurt at least.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll

My corals absolutely hate me right now.  I messed up.  Not thinking very well about it, I stripped my water way too clean way too fast.  

I changed out my chemipure blue and replaced it with 4 fresh nano packs.  I didn't even really think about it until my corals went into a quick decline.  My phosphate is 0 and nitrates are 1.  My phosphate was .03 and nitrates were at 5ish before.  

Everything was doing great before this.  I should have let my no3 and po4 rise a little bit more and changed them slowly, keeping my numbers stable.  It also didn't help that my alk is 8.5.  So basically I created an ULN system with too high of alk.  

My  sps colors are super faded, getting rtn and burnt tips.  It's a real bummer.  I am not sure what's going to pull through and what I am all going to lose.  

I have pulled all of the chemipure blue out and just put a small bag of carbon in the tank.  I took the skimmer offline and reduced my alk down to around 7.3.  Right now I am feeding pretty heavy to try and bring my nutrients up at all.  I was paying more attention to my cyano completely going away, not realizing I was killing my corals in the process.  All I can do now is play the waiting game and hope that I don't lose too many frags.  

• Sad 3