Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED array design for freshwater?

Lingwendil

Originally posted on theplantedtank, but figured you guys might have some good input as well, so I figured I would ask here too.

Hey guys, I'm setting up my first freshwater planted in a long time. I've kept some fresh before immensely over the years, but transitioned to reefing the last decade or so. I've decided to build my own pendant for my new (Amazon prime deal) Marineland portrait 5.5g setup. 

The tank measures (approximately) 9.5x8.5x16", so it wont take much to get some good light going on. I wanted to be able to adjust it up later if I ever get into anything higher light/advanced, but for now will likely do Java Fern, Anubias, Banana plant, Water sprite, and whatever else I can find that does well for me :wink2:

So far I was thinking that a large CPU heatsink would be a decent pendant, and this would allow me to have a backup fan for summertime or high-intensity operation, but I intend to passively cool this setup ideally. I was thinking of a couple different setups, but either way the light would hang from 3-6" above the tank.

Possible LED selection, keep in mind I'm a bit fuzzy on the state of freshwater lighting, last time I set up a planted tank PC Fluorescent was still the choice lighting!!! I would like to be able to have a nice range of adjustability, from a stark white to a deep blue. I will likely be using a Typhon or similar controller, still undecided. 2-4 channels possibly, but I'd likely do just fine with 2. Most likely will use LDD type drivers. I have ways of making by when I first build it up and test it out though.

All on 3-up stars (separate wiring, and spread around for good mix) from stevesleds most likely, stars tightly spaced-

2x NW (5000k)

1x WW (3k)

1x RB (440nm?)

1x Lime 

1x hyper violet 

I was thinking of possibly doing that, but adding the following as well-

1x NW (5000k)

1x CW (6500k)

1x B (460nm?)

I like a nice crisp white, I despise the heavy yellow tint a lot of tanks end up with. I like a bit of blue too, but will tend towards more of a neutral tone to this little tank. Something like these are the look I'm after...

e1f1dd4f17e75537028859bfa7434d47.jpg

194.jpg

I tried to do a ton of research, but since photobucket nuked the offsite links it's not that easy to find any pics of smaller buiids...

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

Originally posted on theplantedtank, but figured you guys might have some good input as well, so I figured I would ask here too.

Hey guys, I'm setting up my first freshwater planted in a long time. I've kept some fresh before immensely over the years, but transitioned to reefing the last decade or so. I've decided to build my own pendant for my new (Amazon prime deal) Marineland portrait 5.5g setup. 

The tank measures (approximately) 9.5x8.5x16", so it wont take much to get some good light going on. I wanted to be able to adjust it up later if I ever get into anything higher light/advanced, but for now will likely do Java Fern, Anubias, Banana plant, Water sprite, and whatever else I can find that does well for me :wink2:

So far I was thinking that a large CPU heatsink would be a decent pendant, and this would allow me to have a backup fan for summertime or high-intensity operation, but I intend to passively cool this setup ideally. I was thinking of a couple different setups, but either way the light would hang from 3-6" above the tank.

Possible LED selection, keep in mind I'm a bit fuzzy on the state of freshwater lighting, last time I set up a planted tank PC Fluorescent was still the choice lighting!!! I would like to be able to have a nice range of adjustability, from a stark white to a deep blue. I will likely be using a Typhon or similar controller, still undecided. 2-4 channels possibly, but I'd likely do just fine with 2. Most likely will use LDD type drivers. I have ways of making by when I first build it up and test it out though.

All on 3-up stars (separate wiring, and spread around for good mix) from stevesleds most likely, stars tightly spaced-

2x NW (5000k)

1x WW (3k)

1x RB (440nm?)

1x Lime 

1x hyper violet 

I was thinking of possibly doing that, but adding the following as well-

1x NW (5000k)

1x CW (6500k)

1x B (460nm?)

I like a nice crisp white, I despise the heavy yellow tint a lot of tanks end up with. I like a bit of blue too, but will tend towards more of a neutral tone to this little tank. Something like these are the look I'm after...

e1f1dd4f17e75537028859bfa7434d47.jpg

194.jpg

I tried to do a ton of research, but since photobucket nuked the offsite links it's not that easy to find any pics of smaller buiids...

I personally did not care for led's on my planted tanks.  I felt I had the best growth with my t5ho.  I mix white bulbs with one roseate bulb to warm up the color.  

Not really a viable option on a 10" wide tank... and I've given up on fluorescent light for various reasons years ago...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 11:15 PM, Clown79 said:

For plants the most important colours are red and white. Blue leds really aren't beneficial.

6000k is the best.

Well, that's not entirely true...

But, back to the project itself, I ended up going with Luxeon Rebel 3-ups from Steve's LEDs. First star runs 1x 4000k, 1x Lime, 1x 2700k. Second star runs 1x 430nm hyper violet, 1x 4000k, 1x cool blue. I also added a Cree XT-E royal blue. I love it so far. It's all running at 500mA per channel, and installed in a blemished discount makersLED 6" heatsink. The tank has a ton of warm colored plants and wood, and the pictures don't do it justice, but it looks fantastic! The full tank shot is not accurate at all to the true color due to glare, but the up close shots are pretty close. In person the tank looks slightly cooler.

IMG_20170808_200923.jpg
IMG_20170808_200904.jpg
IMG_20170808_200854.jpg
IMG_20170808_200847.jpg
IMG_20170808_200827.jpg

Whites only on far left, blues only on far right. Blend in the middle. ADA 30c cube tank which is a 12" cube and approximately 7 gallons. 

leds_spectrum_122111.jpg

No issues growing plants as seen from this top down picture after they filled in, including some of the rarer Cryptocorynes sp. 

30c_topside_071213.jpg

Here's C. jacobsenii spathe as it broke the surface.

C_jacobsenii_spathe_070813.jpg

E. sp. 'Japan' didn't have any issues with the light even when it grew out of the soil and in the water column.

erio_japan_041312b.jpg

E. sp. 'mini' seed pod

erio_mini_011712.jpg

Tank was home for a school of N. mortenthaleri and some other fish. 

mortenthaleri_021412d.jpg

You will be able to grow anything with pretty much any LED light out there. However some plants will grow differently, some will look odd with two much blue. 

Warm white, Cool Whites 

Red and Photo Reds

If you use blues use a single blue or royal. 

Green can also work well or a cyan to give some greens more dominance

-Dave