ReefCleaners.org

TG's 40L nano adventure: Attack of the Possum Wrasse

tunagirll

Fingers crossed, I may have found my shrimp and goby pair :)

It only costs an arm and half a leg.

Waiting to see if they are still available, and if so, they will come home to me next week :wub:

21248380_10155311754496077_4040255679920918892_o.thumb.jpg.b4bf7319828cacf1c5a2dd7cd43c5f7d.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like I'll be able to get the shrimp/goby pair - excitement ?

To celebrate I bought a pile of frags :)

I picked up:

A wild harvested Northern Terrotory zoa rock, with some lovely pale lavender zoas

Darth Maul zoas

Superman zoas

God of War zoas

A red blasto frag, and

A frag of super ultra acans :)

• Like 3

And then I went to my favourite LFS and picked up some more!

Some lovely bright yellow zoas (wild)

Lavender rainbow acan

and a blue Gonipora

And some soft coral food to add to the tank diet - the lads warned me that it would increase the nitrates, so it will go into the tank with some mysis once a week, the day before the weekly 40% water change. They report great results with their zoas and gonis with it.

The clown are stuffing their faces on the mysis weekly, and pods, so I am cutting their pelleted food down to one pellet a day each. I'm a meany!

No more now I promise :P

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, tunagirll said:

And then I went to my favourite LFS and picked up some more!

Some lovely bright yellow zoas (wild)

Lavender rainbow acan

and a blue Gonipora

And some soft coral food to add to the tank diet - the lads warned me that it would increase the nitrates, so it will go into the tank with some mysis once a week, the day before the weekly 40% water change. They report great results with their zoas and gonis with it.

The clown are stuffing their faces on the mysis weekly, and pods, so I am cutting their pelleted food down to one pellet a day each. I'm a meany!

No more now I promise :P

Wow, this sounds really gorgeous, you HAVE to put some pics up so we can see this!!!!

40% water change on the weekend, added amino and liquid coral food, and a little dry soft coral food. Everything is fat and fluffy :) 

Gave up seating Clammie on the rock work, he seems happy vegging on the sand bed. 

Glued all the frags on except for the Gods of War and Darth Maul frags. I think I will get some coral cutters and trim the plugs down first on those. 

Received the invoice for the shrimp and goby - but a bit anxious now as I realised I will be in the country when the box arrives, so my OH will need to acclimate them :)

Oh, and the first flakes of purple coralline appearing on the rock work :) ❤️ Seven weeks in. 

• Like 2

Invoice paid :)

Nitrates are between 5 and 10 and there is some sediment trapped in the carbon/phos bag, so I changed the media for fresh. It's nearly a month old anyhow. 

Hope my OH handles the pair ok before I get home from the country. I told him to float the bag until I get back. Hopefully I get there first or shortly after. 

I'm feeling pretty out of sorts right now. 

Driving home from Geraldton, I had a phone call just before I went out of range. It was fisheries, and I was told due to the current white spot outbreak I could not bring Mr Shrimpy into WA. 

They gave me me two options - split the pair and forward me Mr Goby, or send both back to the store. I sent them back to the store :( I couldn't imagine splitting them up or euthing a gorgeous Mr Shrimpy. 

Feeling pretty down right now. I can look at importing from the NT, Vic or SA for shrimp caught in those waters or try to get a WA one, but to be honest it was hard enough finding a pair in the first place. 

?

• Sad 2

Drowned my sorrows with a trip to the LFS. 

Picked up a porcelain anemone crab, a green acan and a zombie snail. 

All of of them are acclimating well; the zombie snail got too close to the elegance coral and was snagged by a tentacle right on the snoot - managed to break free after a few moments and is now under the sand sooking. 

The porcelain crab is now known as Citizen Snips and is busy filtering away :) I am tempted to go back and get the other one. Do they like company?

Water test pre change - pH 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. Starting to be a touch high on nitrates since I started feeding soft coral food 3x a week (weekly dose split) but everything looks happy. 

40% change incoming and will do the same feeding regime - 3 small feeds of soft coral food a week, plus pellets for the clowns on the other days, and a drop of amino and coral vitalizer weekly. 

If the nitrate rate is stable I will be happy ?

Found an aiptasia hiding under an acan frag and glued it shut. Murder :)

• Like 1

You could consider lowering the coral feeding doses to half doses. I've just stopped my reef roid doses and lessened my ammino doses in an effort to keep nitrates lower. I like them to sit around 2 and lately have been creeping up to 5. But 10 is still not a bad place to stay stable at 

A fish shop finally got me :D

Went to a different LFS as I was out that way - ended up coming home with a red spider sponge and a blue gorg. Don't need special care apparently, since I already feed soft coral powder.

Well once I got home and did some looking, seems unlikely either will survive! But for now, I've stuffed the spider sponge in a shady spot at the back, and the blue gorg is sitting on its frag out front. The spider sponge will be tricky as its inlet holes are at right angles with its fingers, so I will have to think of the most likely spot to put him. The gorg is going up top in the return flow. Once they start dying I will toss them, since they were cheapies. Sorry that sounds casual, but there's not much else to do now :(

1 hour ago, tunagirll said:

A fish shop finally got me :D

Went to a different LFS as I was out that way - ended up coming home with a red spider sponge and a blue gorg. Don't need special care apparently, since I already feed soft coral powder.

Well once I got home and did some looking, seems unlikely either will survive! But for now, I've stuffed the spider sponge in a shady spot at the back, and the blue gorg is sitting on its frag out front. The spider sponge will be tricky as its inlet holes are at right angles with its fingers, so I will have to think of the most likely spot to put him. The gorg is going up top in the return flow. Once they start dying I will toss them, since they were cheapies. Sorry that sounds casual, but there's not much else to do now :(

Yeah, sadly blueberry gorgs (I assume that's what you mean) don't survive in captivity, the only time I've heard of it happening was in a huge system with constant varied plankton and daily automatic water changes going.

19 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah, sadly blueberry gorgs (I assume that's what you mean) don't survive in captivity, the only time I've heard of it happening was in a huge system with constant varied plankton and daily automatic water changes going.

It looks like this:

med_gallery_2631296_304_295713.jpg.58d39a8cf6274e76c19c5f8a663ce290.jpg

• Like 1

Water change time! Tested water, params ammonia 0 pH 7.8 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. Nitrates hold at 10 at fortnightly changes, and so it will be weekly ones. At 10, some of the acans don't look overly happy. At least I know how far I can push it now. 40% change.

Turfed the red spider sponge. It didn't look happy and my own spidey senses were tingling. Gone before it could wreck the tank.

The blue gorg has full polyp extension; time will tell if it is happy in the tank long term.

My goni is burning the back of the porites frag, but that's okay because the porites is encrusting the front of the rock and long term will settle in the right place.

Speaking of the goni, Affie is trying hard to snuggle up to it, and 50/50 steal its food. Poor form for a clownfish :D

Everything else is looking pretty happy. 

My feeding routine is now about 10% of a spoon of soft coral food daily. A drop of coral vitaliser and amino twice a week. A feed of mysis weekly before water change.

Apparently I am lazy and need to post pics - well I picked up the Camera+ app for my iphone so I'll have some decent pics shortly (hopefully).

• Like 1

Awesome rock scape, that arch is really cool. That gorg is really good looking as well. I have a purple one and it loves the flow from the filter, almost always the polyps are extended. Sorry to hear about the shrimp/goby pair, hopefully one finds you soon. 

2 hours ago, SavaS said:

Awesome rock scape, that arch is really cool. That gorg is really good looking as well. I have a purple one and it loves the flow from the filter, almost always the polyps are extended. Sorry to hear about the shrimp/goby pair, hopefully one finds you soon. 

Thank you :)

I am pretty bummed about the shrimp/goby - unless I luck out with a local one, the ban on transport from over East means it won't happen for a couple years. ?

Still trying to decide what to put on the top left of the arch. It should be a centrepiece, but I don't want it to get too big. There's a flat shelf space above the chalice that will need something as well. The bottom left is all zoas and bottom right all acans. 

8 hours ago, gogeta said:

Everything looks healthy and happy!

Sure is :)

I picked up a toadstool leather today and glued it up top - apart from another couple of frags of zoas and maybe a couple button scolys, pretty much done with the tank ?

Edit: My LFS knows about missing out on the shrimp/goby pair and pointed out a Pygmy possum wrasse I might like, to cheer me up ❤️ But I think I would prefer a yellow watchman goby, as my OH loves how grumpy they look

• Like 2